College Football Playoff Top 25 (11-12-19)

16thBBall Fan

Yeah I agree that’s what they are attempting to do. I just disagree with how they go about it as far as how much emphasis they place on things like, “eye test.” Eye test is just code for bias. With any walk of life even outside of sports two people can look at the exact same thing and see two different outcomes. It really stood out to me while at the Florida/ Georgia game. As true of a 50/50 split as you will find anywhere. There were several close calls that got reviewed during the game. Whenever they would show the replays on the video board both sides would cheer every time after watching the same exact replay. Both sides were completely convinced the outcome should work in their favor. I try to confirm in some way what my eyes are telling me and try to judge each team on the same criteria to attempt confirm my opinions. Often times it feels like team A is judged by different criteria than team B or that the weight with which certain criteria matters changes from team to team.

You watch a ton of football as do I. I think you have seen enough to know watching two teams, which one is probably better. It can't be 100% determined mathematically, I think we both agree there needs to be an human element. Otherwise some undefeated non-power conference school(s) will be competing for the title while one or two if the truly best teams will be left home.

I think in the final result, the committee has done a good job ending up with the 4 best teams.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s not that simple unless you believe Purdue is better. A bad day is a bad day. All you keep saying is we never see it happen so it has to be worse. No it doesn’t.

Were all entitled to our own opinion and that is how you feel that is fine. However, if you are going to ask how Georgia was rated higher than OSU was with one lost. I am telling you how and why that happened. You may not feel like it should matter and that is fine because that is your opinion. However, obviously the committee and probably the majority of people would disagree with you on thinking it is the same as a close overtime lost. So it is not being inconsistent if their opinion is different than yours in thinking that OSU beat down lost to a bad team is worst than an overtime lost to a bad team. If you want to show other examples of inconsistency that is fine. However, that is a bad example since their opinion obviously is different than yours and they do feel like a beat down lost to a bad team is worst.

You watch a ton of football as do I. I think you have seen enough to know watching two teams, which one is probably better. It can't be 100% determined mathematically, I think we both agree there needs to be an human element. Otherwise some undefeated non-power conference school(s) will be competing for the title while one or two if the truly best teams will be left home.

I think in the final result, the committee has done a good job ending up with the 4 best teams.

I agree. Generally I have a pretty good idea of who’s better than who. That’s why I did have Minnesota at 9 in my rankings because despite having the 2nd best win of any undefeated team in the country according to the committee, I still don’t think they’re on the same level with the 8 teams in front of them. At the end of the day we all still have biases. That’s just as humans and those in the committee room rely on those biases just as much as the rest of us do when making these decisions because for the most part these teams aren’t playing each other. It just seems like they pick and choose when to use eye test and when to use resume. Bama and Georgia is a perfect example. There is little doubt in my mind that Bama has undoubtably passed the eye test more than Georgia has and they have much better loss. Georgia has better wins so they are in front. But then this same committee who just told us Georgia was in front of Bama because of great wins, tells us Minnesota is at 8 because of the eye test despite Minnesota having a better win according to the committee than Georgia does. That difference of when they use eye test and when they use metrics is where I believe the bias comes in to play.

I agree. Generally I have a pretty good idea of who’s better than who. That’s why I did have Minnesota at 9 in my rankings because despite having the 2nd best win of any undefeated team in the country according to the committee, I still don’t think they’re on the same level with the 8 teams in front of them. At the end of the day we all still have biases. That’s just as humans and those in the committee room rely on those biases just as much as the rest of us do when making these decisions because for the most part these teams aren’t playing each other. It just seems like they pick and choose when to use eye test and when to use resume. Bama and Georgia is a perfect example. There is little doubt in my mind that Bama has undoubtably passed the eye test more than Georgia has and they have much better loss. Georgia has better wins so they are in front. But then this same committee who just told us Georgia was in front of Bama because of great wins, tells us Minnesota is at 8 because of the eye test despite Minnesota having a better win according to the committee than Georgia does. That difference of when they use eye test and when they use metrics is where I believe the bias comes in to play.

Georgia at 4 is baffling I agree, but in the end it's a long shot for them to remain there. I think the committee knows that. Also if Alabama didn't drop out of the top 4, people across the country would have lost their minds.

Georgia at 4 is baffling I agree, but in the end it's a long shot for them to remain there. I think the committee knows that. Also if Alabama didn't drop out of the top 4, people across the country would have lost their minds.

People always lose their minds when it comes to Alabama. My dislike for their program is well documented on here. Georgia being ahead of them is almost like the committee caving in the Bama fatigue. Yeah the casual fans across the country would have been “outraged” that Bama was at 4. But it’s so much easier to explain Bama at 4 than it is Georgia in my opinion because Bama is just a better team and those of us who are glued to our TVs on Saturday’s channel flipping, know that to be true. On a neutral field against Georgia, Bama would still probably be a 6-7 point favorite.

I am with you here.