Bowling Green

gchs_uk9

After watching them in Louisville the last two years, I think I can safely say that western Kentucky 3A football is not comparable to its counterparts in northern and central Kentucky. While Bowling Green played tough opponents early in the season in 2005 (St. X 13, BG 7; BG 14, Warren Central 6) and again in 2006 (St. X 15, BG 7; BG 24, Christian County 21; BG 36, Warren Central 13), do you think the extended stretch of September, October and November of playing less than stellar competition has hurt them in Louisville?

The reason I ask is not because they lost, but both years the Purples have looked very unorganized and the players seem confused. There is a steady stream of players running on and off the field, unsure of who should be in the game, unnecessary timeouts, etc.

In my opinion, they are winning district and early playoff games so easy, therefore the coaching staff doesn't get the opportunity to work in tough conditions like they face in the state finals. On the other hand, Covington Catholic had six or seven challenging games to prepare themselves; and on Friday night they look very professional. Is there any truth to my opinion?

BGreen for the last 2 yrs have looked horrible in the finals, for some reason.. Believe me, people who've been around HS football and have kept up with the Purples knows what type of quality team they have..I'm not sure if it's preparation coming into the game or just lack of playing a quality opponent for so long..Not knocking Lou.Central, because they were a very athletic team, but, this year, Hopkinsville, Tilghman and Boyle Co who are the usual competition in the west, were all having down years, so the overall level was down on the west side, but, IMO, the real story is the 2 opponents they've played....Both Lex Catholic, last yr and Cov Catholic this year, maybe 2 of the better 3a champions in a while, or at least, were playing the best at the right time....

Both Lex Catholic, last yr and Cov Catholic this year, maybe 2 of the better 3a champions in a while, or at least, were playing the best at the right time....

I completely agree that they were outclassed by superior competition, but both seasons it has looked like the Purples were unprepared. Maybe I'm wrong.

Better to look bad in the finals than in the first 4 rounds of the playoffs. BG's biggest weakness was Cov Cath's biggest strength....the OL/DL.

I thought Stuart Himes of Bowling Green would be a bigger contributor. He was a non-factor last night.

BGreen for the last 2 yrs have looked horrible in the finals, for some reason.. Believe me, people who've been around HS football and have kept up with the Purples knows what type of quality team they have..I'm not sure if it's preparation coming into the game or just lack of playing a quality opponent for so long..Not knocking Lou.Central, because they were a very athletic team, but, this year, Hopkinsville, Tilghman and Boyle Co who are the usual competition in the west, were all having down years, so the overall level was down on the west side, but, IMO, the real story is the 2 opponents they've played....Both Lex Catholic, last yr and Cov Catholic this year, maybe 2 of the better 3a champions in a while, or at least, were playing the best at the right time....

Are you forgetting Highlands and Boyle before that? You would be hard pressed to say that last years LC team and this years CC team were any better than HHS and BC teams from just 3 and 4 years ago.

I was under the impression that Bowling Green was playing Trinity in the Rafferty's Bowl. That's not the case?

BG will be Trinity's second game. It will be played at Marshall Stadium on the campus of Trinity High School. It is Trinity's home opener.:thumb: