Daily Independent Preseason Issue

I have a question, how long should an organization feel proud about banners and trophies? It seems to be a point with differing opinions.

Apparently, it is in the eyes of the beholder. Of the posts of those who seem most preoccupied by old trophies, it would appear that that period is somewhat more than 78 years. Do you think there may be a cutoff of sorts at the century mark?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Rose Hill has no banners or signs honoring their 03 team? You cannot blame schools for honoring their past. All schools should do it. It creates pride and school spirit. Ashland or anyone else should not be derided for that should they? :confused:

I have a question, how long should an organization feel proud about banners and trophies? It seems to be a point with differing opinions.

I personally think you should be proud of past accomplishments but at some point in time perspective has to come into play. It should not be the focal point especially when most of the accomplishment were 1963 and before.

I have posted several times that if you have great tradition, like Ashland does, there is no reason to constantly remind people. IMO it only cheapens it. Take Trinity for example, I don't think they have to tell anyone they have tradition.

GIAT is correct. I think all of us should take great pride in the 1928 team as well as the championship teams of the 1930s and the one in 1961. Of course, as well as being before the existence of Rose Hill, they were also before the existence of Blazer. Tradition and trophies? I'll be the first to applaud old, and now defunct, AHS for its accomplishments.

I was also impressed with CCNY and NYU.;)

Its the same community school, or has Ashland moved somewhere in the past 100 years?

You guys kill me and your jealousy is VERY apparent by these types of comments.

I guess its Basketball season in Ashland agian:lol:

actually Ashland has won at least 10 regional titles and at least one final four appearance since 1963. Is that not an accomplishment? I agree you don't have to go around telling everyone about it all the time. But it is there no matter what anyone says.

I listened to Petrino the quaterback and the words out of his mouth last night were I am glad that I have a chance to be part of the senior class that breaks the Ky record for football championships tonight. It was their 17th I believe. He plays for Trinity. I believe that he was proud of their history. I think any player would be honored to be part of carrying on a tradition no matter how deep the tradition runs.

Its the same community school, or has Ashland moved somewhere in the past 100 years?

I think I would characterize it as bitter jealousy.

Lighten up, onetoya. I'm sure it will shock you but those of us who were not "privileged" enough to wear the maroon really aren't jealous of you AHS-

Blazerites. On the other hand, we do have respect for the accomplishments of your teams even though the significant ones were sometime ago. Shoot, as I have said, I also have lasting respect for the accomplishments of CCNY, NYU and even Oklahoma A&M.:thumb:

We like to "dig" at you guys because you take it all too seriously. You wear your feelings on those maroon sleeves of yours. Actually, we applaud you for your reverence to Jimmy Anderson, Ellis Johnson, and the Phipps brothers. That is only fair since we still are proud, after all these years, of an "oldtimer" of ours, Ovinton Mayo.;)

As for real tradition, that distinction clearly belongs to Louisville Trinity and its football program. All others, even your favorites, pale in comparison. Facts are facts. Trinity, and only Trinity, has earned that honor.

Lighten up, onetoya. I'm sure it will shock you but those of us who were not "privileged" enough to wear the maroon really aren't jealous of you AHS-

Blazerites. On the other hand, we do have respect for the accomplishments of your teams even though the significant ones were sometime ago. Shoot, as I have said, I also have lasting respect for the accomplishments of CCNY, NYU and even Oklahoma A&M.:thumb:

We like to "dig" at you guys because you take it all too seriously. You wear your feelings on those maroon sleeves of yours. Actually, we applaud you for your reverence to Jimmy Anderson, Ellis Johnson, and the Phipps brothers. That is only fair since we still are proud, after all these years, of an "oldtimer" of ours, Ovinton Mayo.;)

As for real tradition, that distinction clearly belongs to Louisville Trinity and its football program. All others, even your favorites, pale in comparison. Facts are facts. Trinity, and only Trinity, has earned that honor.

I thought we were on a basketball topic. :confused: And while I think Ashland does have a pretty good tradition in football, it might be even better in basketball.

Actually, Kick, when you boys inevitably play your "tradition" card, you "raise" the discussion" to a higher level. However, I guess the facts have overwhelmingly trumped your argument so we can let you off the hook and limit our discussion to basketball. The accomplishments of Trinity really do end any further feeble discussion on the subject of real tradition, both past and current.