Bobby Perry

futurecoach

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm not mistaken, Jamal Mashburn was under the radar when he came to UK. He wasn't projected to be the impact player he turned out to be.

Rodrick Rhodes and Ron Mercer were Pitino's two highest touted recruits, if my memory serves me correctly.

So basically what your saying then is that Pitino brought in the same kind of players as Tubby has when it comes to recruiting, and that is usually not getting the huge name players, but players that are like the Daniels, Fitch, Stevenson, etc. That wasn't the marquee names coming out of high school but were still good players? But if that is the case then why does everyone say Tubby's recruiting sucks, because from what you just said, it sounds like Pitino brought in the same types of players as Tubby...

And you are completely wrong. As I said before, even the great Pitino would bring in players like a Perry in every class. But those players usually would get to wait to their junior or senior year to play. But Perry had to play early in his career because the other players in his recruiting class was terrible, and that makes him not look as good. But Perry is a type of player that UK has always gotten, and should be here at UK, and is a big part to this teams success this year...

Pitino may have brought in players like Perry "every now & then", but they were little more than practive players to help push the 1st team.

I agree with you about guys like Mash heading straight to the pros, but I hope you aren't saying that UK is recruiting like a Top 5 program.

Because the sad truth is this...Tubby barely recruits like UK is a Top 50 school.

The Morehead City League is tough!!! HAHA!!! Seriously! Last year a team that consisted of Allen Edwards and Marquis Sykes and some other D-1 and NAIA players played in it and they didn't even make it to the semi-finals of the tournament!!!

That actually was my team. We had a former UK player, 3 former MSU players, 2 former Pikeville College players, 1 former Alice Lloyd player, and 2 MSU football players.

We did win 2 years ago and was runnerup year before last. Last year, we were missing alot of our team and got beat by the eventual champions in the quarterfinals.

Pitino may have brought in players like Perry "every now & then", but they were little more than practive players to help push the 1st team.

I agree with you about guys like Mash heading straight to the pros, but I hope you aren't saying that UK is recruiting like a Top 5 program.

Because the sad truth is this...Tubby barely recruits like UK is a Top 50 school.

Perry brought in players like Perry every year, but Pitino usually had other good guys in that class with him. And that is what makes Perry look not as good because the rest of the class he came with is just terrible, and so he has to try to look like the star out of the class which he is not. Perry had to play early in his career when he shouldn't because he wasn't ready, and that is what led to alot of people to just hate him, and I know I was one of them. I couldn't stand Perry at all, and thought he shouldn't see the court. But it wasn't just the last 2 games of the year last year when Perry did good, it was from from the middle of the year on he really started to do really good, and just in the tournament he did excellent. Perry is the kind of player that shouldn't play till his junior and senior years, because it will take a player like him to really get adjusted to the college game. But make no mistakes about it HE SHOULD BE here at UK and it dont matter if the other schools in NC didn't get him, because that happens in every state sometimes.

So as I said what has hurt Perry is the class he came in with was terrible, and it made him have to play earlier than he should in his career, and that got alot of people to hate him, and some people just cant realize he is not the same terrible player he once was. Yeah he never will be a GREAT player, but he is the type of player that really will affect the success of this years team. If he has a good year this team could do special things, and if he doesn't then we will have some trouble...

So basically what your saying then is that Pitino brought in the same kind of players as Tubby has when it comes to recruiting, and that is usually not getting the huge name players, but players that are like the Daniels, Fitch, Stevenson, etc. That wasn't the marquee names coming out of high school but were still good players? But if that is the case then why does everyone say Tubby's recruiting sucks, because from what you just said, it sounds like Pitino brought in the same types of players as Tubby...

WOW! :eek:

You read an awful lot into a couple of little sentences I posted.

My post wasn't implying anything. I was simply stating the fact that Jamal Mashburn wasn't pegged as an elite talent coming out of high school and that Pitino's top two recruits, on paper, were Rhodes and Mercer. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Ok well Im really getting tired of people saying Perry shouldn't be here, because since he made it out of the state of North Carolina. He must not have been good enough to play here at UK either. Seriously you alls theory on that is not good at all, because there are alot of players that got away from a state with powerhouse schools in it. I mean I think you all would know that because we have a great example in Chris Lofton who got away from the state of KY.

Even the great Pitino which some of you still cant get over him being gone, brought players in like Perry on his teams. He always had players like a Perry in ever recruiting class. The thing that makes Perry being here not so good, is because he is the best one out of that recruiting class, because the rest of the recruiting class that year was terrible with Woo, Shag, and Thomas. Usually there would be other better players in a recruiting class with Perry. But since there was not Perry was forced to play early in his career alot, which I admit at the time he shouldn't have been really playing his freshman and sophomore year. Perry though is the type of player who should be playing his junior and senior years because he is a good player that can help the team. Right now he is playing with a hurt thumb on his shooting hand, which could be a reason why he has not been scoring much.

The fact is Perry is a huge part to the success to this team, and well all of you who ever said that well UNC, Duke, etc. didnt get him so he shouldn't be here is wrong, because he should be here at UK, and its nothing new for us to bring in players like him, because as I said before even the GREAT Pitino brought players like him in. But they jus wasn't forced to play earlin in their careers like him...

If you have a child do you tell him or her that you hope they can play just like Bobby Perry or Sheray Thomas?

If you have a child do you tell him or her that you hope they can play just like Bobby Perry or Sheray Thomas?
Every player is not a 20pt per game, player. Some are not 10ppg players or have high rebound totals.

No team can have every player, excel is each aspect of the game....scoring, rebounding, assists/passing, defense, etc....Perry and Thomas are at UK, they need to and will, get better. All of these "horrible" or "terrible" comments, are not justified and certainly don't offer any construction criticism, along with a positive mental approach.

They will play well at various times this season, along with playing not well and that is part of the game. The comments will continually be negative....regardless of their effort.

Anyone can compare players, to individual talent on other teams and they will most likely, come up short in that comparison but no mid-season trades, magic potion or "I wish we had"....will help. Just because UNC or others, passed on Perry, certainly does not make his horrible or terrible.

Thomas looks out of sync at times, even reacting to the ball on rebounds but he plays good defense, passes the ball well and sees the floor. His offensive and defensive play, must improve and I'm sure practice will focus on just that.

No. I tell them to play their game to the best of their abilities, work harder than anyone else and always respect the coaches decisions.

Perry and Thomas are playing basketball for one the top programs in the country. They each received a 4 year scholarship meaning their parents do not have to pay for their education so it seems they have done well for themselves. As a parent would you not be proud of such an accomplishment?

Bobby Perry is a role player. The tournament last year was the exception, not the rule. He isn't a scorer, he isn't a 4 and he isn't a 3. He's a tweener with average shooting skills and below average ball handling skills. He can't guard a 3 or a 4. He came out of NC being passed on by Duke, NC, and NC State. Pitino recruited pros and not the euro-pros. Bobby Perry is a mid-major pf and nothing more.

No. I tell them to play their game to the best of their abilities, work harder than anyone else and always respect the coaches decisions.

Perry and Thomas are playing basketball for one the top programs in the country. They each received a 4 year scholarship meaning their parents do not have to pay for their education so it seems they have done well for themselves. As a parent would you not be proud of such an accomplishment?

I would absolutley be proud of my children to accomplish that feat. The point that I bring up is not about the family being proud or the child giving everything he has to make a dream come true. The point is UK basketball shouldn't have to depend on an average quality player to contribute 15 - 20 points per game to play with the elite. I honestly think Tubby can coach. I think he did a phenominal job in 98 no matter who recruited the players. I think that he has done more with what he has had than anyone else could have. The problem is what he has had and what he has. He doesn't consistently sign above average players. He gets an occasional one. I know that every player can't be abover average, but Perry and Thomas would look and play a whole lot better if someone in their class was a top notch player.

I would absolutley be proud of my children to accomplish that feat. The point that I bring up is not about the family being proud or the child giving everything he has to make a dream come true. The point is UK basketball shouldn't have to depend on an average quality player to contribute 15 - 20 points per game to play with the elite. I honestly think Tubby can coach. I think he did a phenominal job in 98 no matter who recruited the players. I think that he has done more with what he has had than anyone else could have. The problem is what he has had and what he has. He doesn't consistently sign above average players. He gets an occasional one. I know that every player can't be abover average, but Perry and Thomas would look and play a whole lot better if someone in their class was a top notch player.

You didn't bring up a point you asked the question if you have children would you tell him or her that you hope they can play like Perry or Thomas. I simply answered your question.