Trip to Minneapolis-St. Paul

Getslow

So I fly out tomorrow afternoon for the Twin Cities for the first time in several years. Sister and her family moved there at the beginning of the summer and so I'm going to visit.

We have tickets to the Indians/Twins game Friday night and then the Falcons/Vikings season opener on Sunday afternoon.

I'm confident I'll spend most of our time not at the stadium at my sister's house in the suburbs with my niece and nephew, but I'm curious as someone who's been elsewhere in Minnesota but not in the Twin Cities for a while if someone more recently familiar has any thoughts as to what I should see and do.

Weather looks decent for Saturday but the forecast appears less friendly during the hours prior to my afternoon flight home on Monday.

What does anyone think I should hit up?

Just there weekend before last for a couple of Twins' games. One of my favorite cities! Which suburb will you be?

To start, the new stadium is one of the best in MLB. It is well integrated into the downtown and you are within walking distance of all the action.

Quick and cheap adventure. Check out Minnehaha Falls. 10-15 minute drive from downtown. It will be busy, but the falls are cool and some easy walking/hiking you can do.

If you are into biking at all, Minneapolis is regarded as one of, if not the most bike friendly city in America. It is amazing how well inter-connected it is. Rent a bike or scooter and take in one of many surrounding lakes.

Food wise. Best restaurant in town is Butcher and the Boar. Kind of random, but I believe they are the #1 seller of Knob Creek in the country. Trendy spot on Hennepin, about half mile east of the stadium. The wife and I normally split some apps (sausage platter and brussels sprouts).

Food wise #2. Want something ethnic? No trip is complete for me without a trip to United Noodle. United Noodle is an international grocery store off Minnehaha. In there they have a restaurant called Unideli. Authentic Asian cuisine with the best ramen you will ever have. DO THIS. Get the Tentenamen (sp?) ramen.

Just there weekend before last for a couple of Twins' games. One of my favorite cities! Which suburb will you be?

To start, the new stadium is one of the best in MLB. It is well integrated into the downtown and you are within walking distance of all the action.

It'll be my first Twins home game (and first time in the Twin Cities) since the last season in the Metrodome in 2009.

My sister is in Eden Prairie (on the Eastern edge closer to Edina, I've been told). Not sure what we'll do with the free day on Saturday (weather forecast looks decent, cloudy but not rainy), but your food options look like a solid plan for lunch on my own before heading to the airport on Monday.

It'll be my first Twins home game (and first time in the Twin Cities) since the last season in the Metrodome in 2009.

My sister is in Eden Prairie (on the Eastern edge closer to Edina, I've been told). Not sure what we'll do with the free day on Saturday (weather forecast looks decent, cloudy but not rainy), but your food options look like a solid plan for lunch on my own before heading to the airport on Monday.

Dude! You will be close to Paisley Park. Dress up and go lay a purple rose outside of the Prince compound as you shed a tear.

I believe they have it set up as a museum now. His house is located on a local highway in an industrial park. Only as Prince could do.

Dude! You will be close to Paisley Park. Dress up and go lay a purple rose outside of the Prince compound as you shed a tear.

I believe they have it set up as a museum now. His house is located on a local highway in an industrial park. Only as Prince could do.

For a while they were offering a VIP tour in which Prince's private chef would cook you a meal from the menu developed specifically for him. I don't think they do that anymore, I'm sorry to say.

@Getslow, you mind if I ask how much you paid for airfare? My wife wants me to take her up there for the Mall of America (since we didn't make it there during our vacation like I had hinted we might).

I'm flying Frontier. Got direct flights there and back from CVG for $50 each way. With carry-on bag fees and all the nonsense Frontier tries to hide under the rug, the round trip still ended up being just over $200.

A couple of years ago I spent two weeks working on the north side of the twin cities (mostly Coon Rapids and Blaine). Best meal I had was at a place called The Exchange - Food & Drink. It was a little further east of where I was staying in New Brighton. I'm not a big fish fan, but a co-worker who had eaten there a few days before assured me that I had to try their walleye. As the menu describes it - "Walleye x 2 Pan fried walleye filet, walleye-wild rice pilaf cake, asparagus, cognac-green peppercorn cream sauce". He wasn't wrong it was really good. From what I understand Walleye is a pretty popular fish up there so you can probably find some at several places.

I also discovered that Surly makes a few pretty good beers.

Got home a few hours ago. Incredible weekend.

Target Field is really nice. Did a great job with everything. Highly recommend the food at the Soul Bowl behind Section 120. Get the braised beef with the mushrooms and onions. You won’t be disappointed. Unless you want the Twins to do something useful in September... then you’ll be disappointed.

US Bank Stadium is the biggest building I’ve ever been in... I think. It felt bigger than Lucas Oil. It too is really nice. Also, the Viking defense played really well and it was awesome seeing that game in person.

Today was a long day. Left my sister’s house at 8:30 and headed with my brother to the airport. He went to the gate for his early flight while I made for the light rail and spent most of my day in the Mill District. Walked through Mill Ruin Park and across the Stone Arch Bridge to St Paul, then back to see the Guthrie Theater and had lunch before taking the train back to the airport.

Fantastic time all around.

Food wise #2. Want something ethnic? No trip is complete for me without a trip to United Noodle. United Noodle is an international grocery store off Minnehaha. In there they have a restaurant called Unideli. Authentic Asian cuisine with the best ramen you will ever have. DO THIS. Get the Tentenamen (sp?) ramen.

Rain spoiled my plan to take the train down to United Noodle for lunch then to Minnehaha Park, but the ramen suggestion was solid so I ate lunch in the Mill District downtown at a place called the Zen Box that was outstanding.

Thanks for the other recommendations. Now that my sister and her family are there, I expect this is the first of several trips. My brother is already gunning to go back once hockey season starts.