Rocketman (Movie)

I'm intrigued by it. Elton John's music is completely hit or miss with me. Probably about 30/70 on what I like versus what I dislike. But I've always been really intrigued by him being such a flamboyant performer, yet being so heavily dependent on his partnership with a lyracist that maintains such a low-profile.

I haven't talked to anyone I know who's seen it yet, but I'm intrigued too. I'll at least catch this when it comes out on HBO or On Demand.

I'm intrigued by it. Elton John's music is completely hit or miss with me. Probably about 30/70 on what I like versus what I dislike. But I've always been really intrigued by him being such a flamboyant performer, yet being so heavily dependent on his partnership with a lyracist that maintains such a low-profile.

I haven't talked to anyone I know who's seen it yet, but I'm intrigued too. I'll at least catch this when it comes out on HBO or On Demand.

I want to give them points for having the actor sing the songs, as opposed to Bohemian Rhapsody that had the Oscar winner simply lip-synching the music. I appreciate the attempt at having the talent actually sing -- hope it worked for the movie.

I want to give them points for having the actor sing the songs, as opposed to Bohemian Rhapsody that had the Oscar winner simply lip-synching the music. I appreciate the attempt at having the talent actually sing -- hope it worked for the movie.

Definitely. That gave Jaime Foxx's performance in "Ray", and Joaquin Phoenix's performance in "Walk The Line" much more gravitas. The flipside of actually singing, though, is that you also run the risk of opening yourself up to a lot of panning like Russell Crowe received after singing for his role as Javert in "Les Misérables".

I remember reading somewhere that Phoenix said actually singing his part for Johnny Cash in "Walk The Line" made it the hardest role he'd ever played, and that if he'd known going in how difficult it would be with the singing, that he would have never agreed to the role.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

Definitely. That gave Jaime Foxx's performance in "Ray", and Joaquin Phoenix's performance in "Walk The Line" much more gravitas. The flipside of actually singing, though, is that you also run the risk of opening yourself up to a lot of panning like Russell Crowe received after singing for his role as Javert in "Les Misérables".

I remember reading somewhere that Phoenix said actually singing his part for Johnny Cash in "Walk The Line" made it the hardest role he'd ever played, and that if he'd known going in how difficult it would be with the singing, that he would have never agreed to the role.

Russell Crowe was barely adequate. Hugh Jackman was outstanding, though.

I hear it’s more of a musical than true biography film.

I won’t hate on them on the timeline too much considering what they did with Bohemian Rhapsody, completely changing the timeline of his life for story.

I’d like to see it, but I’ll wait a bit yet.

Has anyone seen this yet? I'm hearing reviews all over the map, so wanted some from BGP'ers to compare it to.

Apparently the one thing that most people are taking umbrage with are the fact that they paid no attention at all to timelines and chronological order.

Timelines seem to be secondary in music biopics. There were timeline issues in Bohemian Rhapsody and The Dirt. They didn’t bother me in either of those movies, and probably won’t in this one.