Chicken Wings/Buffalo Wings

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal favorite 5 spots around Louisville, in no particular order:

Frankfort Avenue Beer Depot - Smokehouse wings. They don't fry them after smoking, and they don't offer "Buffalo sauce", but the hot sauce is really good in a slightly different way. GREAT wings!

River City Drafthouse - The wings are big, and they fry them perfectly. The hot sauce is a solid amount of heat in a traditional Buffalo flavor, and if you like heat, the "Gorilla Warfare" Caribbean jerk sauce is awesome.

The Back Door - The Back Door knows what they're doing when it comes to bar food, and their wings are solid, and I really like getting Buffalo style, hot, with the Cajun dust on it.

Momma's Mustard, Pickles & BBQ - They have a BBQ dry rub that they put on the wings before they smoke them, then they fry them, and then dust them again right after frying. They're not wet like usual chicken wings, but man oh man are they good!

Charim Korean - The crispiness of the wings at Charim is completely off the charts. They're really lightly battered with a tempura-style cornstarch and water mixture, and then if you get them "hot", they come with a super unique and really fantastic spicy Korean hot sauce.

THIS!! From top to bottom, this is the best lineup of wings and sauces in Louisville. Without question. If you want great smoked, Mommas is the place. Straight buffalo then go to Rumors. But if you want a home run with any choice on the list, it begins and ends with River City Drafthouse.

BW3s is trash. They've fallen off terribly over the last few years. They do not belong in this discussion. Change my mind.

The best wings that I've ever had was at a BBQ joint on Hilton Head Island called One Hot Mama's. You can get your wings either grilled / smoked or fried.

My favorite place to get wings more locally is Mr. B's Pizza and Wings in Henderson, KY. They have a flavor called hurricane which is so good. I'm not exactly sure what all is in it but I believe it is a combination of several of their other sauces. It has a lot going on as far as flavor. Their thin crust pizza is great as well.

Applogies to winglovers, I don't do wings. Maybe 5 times in my life I have eaten them at a restaurant, and always because they were a group appetizer. I put wings with crab legs, too much mess and work for the small reward. I guess you can say wings are my chocolate.

Pies and Pints has really good dry rub wings. I'm not sure if they're smoked or not but they have a smoked taste. I've also heard Wings etc, has really good wings for a chain restaurant, but I haven't tried them myself yet.

Down in this neck of the woods ...

If I am having a big party and need wings, McDivot's Wings and Raw Bar, in Westchase, has been my goto for 20 years. They've never let me down.

When we go out with friends we frequent Abe's Place on Missouri Ave, Ker's Wing House on Ulmerton Road, and the original Hooters on Gulf-To-Bay in Clearwater. I still prefer Beef O'Brady's over most other places.

The non-breaded wings at Publix are as good as any.