5 Officers Shot in South Carolina

Jumper_Dad

What the heck happened? Were they targeted or defending others?

No idea. Details were scarce the last time I looked. It involved 3 deputies and 2 city officers, so multiple departments responded to the shooting.

One of the officers has now passed away.

No idea. Details were scarce the last time I looked. It involved 3 deputies and 2 city officers, so multiple departments responded to the shooting.

One of the officers has now passed away.

Sheriff deputies were responding to a search warrant and the individual whose residence they were searching opened fire before barricading himself in the house. The additional officers were shot while responding to the situation.

Sheriff deputies were responding to a search warrant and the individual whose residence they were searching opened fire before barricading himself in the house. The additional officers were shot while responding to the situation.

Sounds like the perpetrator had a significant tactical advantage.

Hate to hear that an officer was killed. However, is this considered an active shooter situation? If they were serving a warrant to search the person's property?

I always sort of thought an active shooter situation was when a person when into a public place and starting shooting. I guess there was a person, who was actively shooting, but not usually what I think of when I hear of an active shooter situation.

Hate to hear that an officer was killed. However, is this considered an active shooter situation? If they were serving a warrant to search the person's property?

I always sort of thought an active shooter situation was when a person when into a public place and starting shooting. I guess there was a person, who was actively shooting, but not usually what I think of when I hear of an active shooter situation.

It was an ongoing gun fight when those reports first came out. The Active Shooter moniker was used so people knew shots were still being fired and to stay away.

I think "Active Shooter" is an easy way to communicate the danger to everyone as simply as possible.

It was an ongoing gun fight when those reports first came out. The Active Shooter moniker was used so people knew shots were still being fired and to stay away.

I think "Active Shooter" is an easy way to communicate the danger to everyone as simply as possible.

Just because I was curious, here is how the Department of Homeland Security defines an Active Shooter:

An Active Shooter is an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a confined and populated area; in most cases, active shooters use firearms(s) and there is no pattern or method to their selection of victims. Active shooter situations are unpredictable and evolve quickly. Typically, the immediate deployment of law enforcement is required to stop the shooting and mitigate harm to victims.

https://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/active_shooter_booklet.pdf

Why isn't this national coverage?

Rather than reading about this on BGP, I should be hearing about this on the news channels.

Sadly there's only one national story right now. That's why I've been avoiding the news and cleaning off my DVR instead. I'm glad we've got BGP to let us know about situations like this. Prayers for all the officers and their families.

I know a lot of people in the past have complained about police departments having military style vehicles. Some on here have questioned the need for them in the hand of civilian law enforcement. Thankfully one of those departments had an armored vehicle. Using it was the only way to safely retrieve the wounded officers without putting others in danger.