May 25, 20188 yr This has always been and continues to be probably the laziest take in this entire argument. It was literally never about the flag or the military, as has been stated by those who were kneeling. But lets ignore that and pretend to be offended. You say it was never about the flag or the military. Then why do they kneel during the playing of the national anthem?
May 25, 20188 yr You say it was never about the flag or the military. Then why do they kneel during the playing of the national anthem? :ohbrother:
May 25, 20188 yr I guess that there was no such thing as patriotism before then. Still like that in a lot of college games. They still played the anthem then as they do now.
May 25, 20188 yr Golly, I am so out of touch with the entitled generation's view on so many things. Like you take your hat off when eating, it is disrespectful to have it on indoors anytime (church especially). You allow people to exit the elevator before entering, it would create chaos otherwise and disrespect their destination as less important than yours. You do not use cell phone technology while dining with family and friends, it disrespects their role in your life. You never say anything disparaging about someone's mother, that disrespectful act is sure to create issues for everyone. You don't bring politics to the workplace during work hours, tread lightly at the break/lunch room, as these issues are sure to disrupt and disrespect the harmony and cohesiveness of the team. When you chose to fly the American flag, you do it properly and when worn/tattered destroy it properly. Anything less is disrespectful. When the National Anthem is played, you stand at attention, face the flag, remove hats and place right hand over your heart. Anything less is disrectful to our flag, which makes it disresptful to those that have fought for that flag. Simple as that. Leave your political/social agendas where and when they should be voiced; but, not during the National Anthem. Probably the most polarizing demonstration of the last decade and has generated tone deafness where sensitivity was the goal. You simply can't disrespect, argue it's not meant to be that, and then belittle the NFL owners for trying to protect their brand. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and smells like a duck; than its a duck. Perception is reality, and the NFL brand has been scared by these political/social demonstrations at a disrespectful and inappropriae time.
May 25, 20188 yr Seems logical. “Rosa Parks was not protesting the bus. Gandhi was not protesting the food. The colonists were not protesting tea. Players are not protesting the flag or the anthem. They are protesting injustice.”
May 25, 20188 yr You say it was never about the flag or the military. Then why do they kneel during the playing of the national anthem? You really think they are protesting the military?
May 25, 20188 yr When the National Anthem is played, you stand at attention, face the flag, remove hats and place right hand over your heart. Anything less is disrectful to our flag, which makes it disresptful to those that have fought for that flag. Simple as that. Leave your political/social agendas where and when they should be voiced; but, not during the National Anthem. Probably the most polarizing demonstration of the last decade and has generated tone deafness where sensitivity was the goal. You simply can't disrespect, argue it's not meant to be that, and then belittle the NFL owners for trying to protect their brand. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and smells like a duck; than its a duck. Perception is reality, and the NFL brand has been scared by these political/social demonstrations at a disrespectful and inappropriae time. That's fine. But people don't care about the DOZENS of other ways people "disrespect the flag/anthem" at sporting events, they only care about the guys on the field taking a knee. They are hypocrites.
May 26, 20188 yr That's fine. But people don't care about the DOZENS of other ways people "disrespect the flag/anthem" at sporting events, they only care about the guys on the field taking a knee. They are hypocrites. I for one am mortified by all the others you refer to also disrespecting the flag. Their ignorance is appalling. The one difference is they're not usually saying look at me and what I am doing. Just selfish, disrespectful optics from day one.
May 26, 20188 yr I for one am mortified by all the others you refer to also disrespecting the flag. Their ignorance is appalling. The one difference is they're not usually saying look at me and what I am doing. Just selfish, disrespectful optics from day one. All protests are "look at me." Otherwise, no one would notice the protest.
May 26, 20188 yr Then you better tell all the people that wear flags on articles of clothing, the people in the concourses and throughout the stadiums that don't stop etc that they are disrespecting the flag too. You (this is a general 'you') can't pick and choose which acts to be offended by based on who is doing them and expect to be taken serious. To be fair and I've heard your argument, intent factors. People who wear American flag clothing even misguided are doing it to show love for America. Kneeling for the anthem is meant to be a form a protest it isn't meant to highlight patriotism. I'm sick of the topic. I get why he did it and I personally don't agree with how he went about it. I also get that those who do agree don't care what I think.
May 26, 20188 yr I for one am mortified by all the others you refer to also disrespecting the flag. Their ignorance is appalling. The one difference is they're not usually saying look at me and what I am doing. Just selfish, disrespectful optics from day one. Nor are they getting a platform with media coverage. I agree that any form of disrespect during the anthem is unacceptable. It bothers me a if I'm at an event and people talk or anything other than what they should do. The main difference between them and the kneeling (or originally sitting) during the anthem is it's being brought into millions of other peoples homes. Huge difference that anyone should understand. That's why there's outrage.
May 26, 20188 yr Nor are they getting a platform with media coverage. I agree that any form of disrespect during the anthem is unacceptable. It bothers me a if I'm at an event and people talk or anything other than what they should do. The main difference between them and the kneeling (or originally sitting) during the anthem is it's being brought into millions of other peoples homes. Huge difference that anyone should understand. That's why there's outrage. That’s part of why there is outrage. Let’s not be naive.
May 26, 20188 yr All protests are "look at me." Otherwise, no one would notice the protest. People who have never had to have a reason to protest wouldn’t understand this fundamental fact of protesting.
May 26, 20188 yr People who have never had to have a reason to protest wouldn’t understand this fundamental fact of protesting. Yep. I respect and support your right to protest as long as I agree with it. If I don’t agree, feel free to protest, but please keep your protest to yourself as I don’t want to see it. Protests should make people uncomfortable.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.