Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NFL Anthem "Policy" - Winners and Losers

Featured Replies

Seems logical.

 

“Rosa Parks was not protesting the bus. Gandhi was not protesting the food. The colonists were not protesting tea. Players are not protesting the flag or the anthem. They are protesting injustice.”

 

This X100.

  • Replies 187
  • Views 29.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All protests are "look at me." Otherwise, no one would notice the protest.

 

Precisely.

Yep. I respect and support your right to protest as long as I agree with it. If I don’t agree, feel free to protest, but please keep your protest to yourself as I don’t want to see it.

 

Protests should make people uncomfortable.

 

If guns were banned and someone like Joe Thomas had some sort of protest during the anthem and other football players joined in would people be as disgusted with his protest?

This has always been and continues to be probably the laziest take in this entire argument. It was literally never about the flag or the military, as has been stated by those who were kneeling. But lets ignore that and pretend to be offended.

 

You have the right to support Kap and his pig police socks, since it isn’t about the military to you. We have the right to support the flag and those who defend it at sporting events, since it’s about the military and all first responders who protect us to us.

You have the right to support Kap and his pig police socks, since it isn’t about the military to you. We have the right to support the flag and those who defend it at sporting events, since it’s about the military and all first responders who protect us to us.

 

If it's 100% against police brutality then why do so many keep hanging onto the military angle? If you take something the wrong way and then I explain to you what I meant and you still say "no , it was about what I thought it was..." then what does that say about you?

That’s part of why there is outrage. Let’s not be naive.

 

Some. Sure, I agree. I'm not discounting that, I'm just pointing out not everyone is that way. There have been a lot of posts that allude to only one thing. It's not that simple and not always that nefarious.

If guns were banned and someone like Joe Thomas had some sort of protest during the anthem and other football players joined in would people be as disgusted with his protest?

 

First off, I'm not disgusted in the protest. I've stated my views on it in the past so I don't feel the need to repeat them. I will say, for me, I think I'd be bothered every bit as much by the scenario you proposed. Again, not the time for it IMO.

First off, I'm not disgusted in the protest. I've stated my views on it in the past so I don't feel the need to repeat them. I will say, for me, I think I'd be bothered every bit as much by the scenario you proposed. Again, not the time for it IMO.

 

That’s you personally. I’d be interested in knowing what all of the people who are against this protest would feel if the same protest was done behind an issue they’d want to rally behind. I feel like all guns being banned would be an issue that a lot of the same folks against Kaep’s protest would be willing to take a knee for to protest their disgust in America banning all guns. I’d love to know if the NFL would have taken those same measures they took for this situation that truly had become a non-situation anyways.

 

Knowing how you feel about guns it’s good to know that you’d still feel the same about a national anthem protest against banning all guns.

That’s you personally. I’d be interested in knowing what all of the people who are against this protest would feel if the same protest was done behind an issue they’d want to rally behind. I feel like all guns being banned would be an issue that a lot of the same folks against Kaep’s protest would be willing to take a knee for to protest their disgust in America banning all guns. I’d love to know if the NFL would have taken those same measures they took for this situation that truly had become a non-situation anyways.

 

Knowing how you feel about guns it’s good to know that you’d still feel the same about a national anthem protest against banning all guns.

 

If they felt different and supported a protest during the nation anthem, in my eyes it would make them hypocrites.

You do pose a fascinating question, though. I too would like to see what their response would be.

You have the right to support Kap and his pig police socks, since it isn’t about the military to you. We have the right to support the flag and those who defend it at sporting events, since it’s about the military and all first responders who protect us to us.

 

You do know it is easy to support Kap’s true intentions and denounce his socks? Many have done it including myself. Not only do I support Kap and denounce his socks but I also support the military as well as first responders. It’s really not hard. I promise.

When I am at work, I am expected to work at or over the expectations of my employer. I am not allowed to conduct union business, or promote any political or social agenda.

 

NFL players are at work, and get paid a heck of a lot more than I do. They are on TV because it is part of their job. Promoting their own agenda because they happen to be on TV is inappropriate IMO. If the players who want to kneel wish to make a TV appearance to explaine their issues in their own time, I fully support it. When you are at work, you work as your employer wants you to. If you don’t like it, you find another job.

When I am at work, I am expected to work at or over the expectations of my employer. I am not allowed to conduct union business, or promote any political or social agenda.

 

NFL players are at work, and get paid a heck of a lot more than I do. They are on TV because it is part of their job. Promoting their own agenda because they happen to be on TV is inappropriate IMO. If the players who want to kneel wish to make a TV appearance to explaine their issues in their own time, I fully support it. When you are at work, you work as your employer wants you to. If you don’t like it, you find another job.

 

Where exactly would they kneel outside of their job?

When I am at work, I am expected to work at or over the expectations of my employer. I am not allowed to conduct union business, or promote any political or social agenda.

 

NFL players are at work, and get paid a heck of a lot more than I do. They are on TV because it is part of their job. Promoting their own agenda because they happen to be on TV is inappropriate IMO. If the players who want to kneel wish to make a TV appearance to explaine their issues in their own time, I fully support it. When you are at work, you work as your employer wants you to. If you don’t like it, you find another job.

 

You simply cannot compare the “job” of an NFL player and want the other 99.9999% of the world. Their jobs are very visible, and very public. And as in any job that only a handful of people can do, those folks tend to get a little more leeway in what’s acceptable and what isn’t while “on the job”. Also, while some have used that platform to protest, many use it to promote things as well. Whether it’s an apparel or shoe brand, a charity or some other cause, it happens all the time. Of course those things aren’t uncomfortable to talk about, so you don’t hear the “they shouldn’t be doing this on their employers time” argument. Let’s be honest, as long as the players aren’t doing something we don’t agree with, most of us don’t care what they do while “on the job”.

You simply cannot compare the “job” of an NFL player and want the other 99.9999% of the world. Their jobs are very visible, and very public. And as in any job that only a handful of people can do, those folks tend to get a little more leeway in what’s acceptable and what isn’t while “on the job”. Also, while some have used that platform to protest, many use it to promote things as well. Whether it’s an apparel or shoe brand, a charity or some other cause, it happens all the time. Of course those things aren’t uncomfortable to talk about, so you don’t hear the “they shouldn’t be doing this on their employers time” argument. Let’s be honest, as long as the players aren’t doing something we don’t agree with, most of us don’t care what they do while “on the job”.

 

The rules are no different for NFL players. It doesnt matter what we think. If their bosses dont want them protesting at work, they have the right to stop it.

The rules are no different for NFL players. It doesnt matter what we think. If their bosses dont want them protesting at work, they have the right to stop it.

 

No question but I think the point he is making is that these skills are so unique that to compare them to a factory worker, accountant, nurse, etc is not appropriate.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.