Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NFL Anthem "Policy" - Winners and Losers

Featured Replies

I would take more notice of their cause if they did it in front of police stations all over the country. You just said nobody would care is why they did it during the national anthem. Yet you also state that the majority aren't caring about why they are protesting, they are simply looking at the fact they disrespected the flag and the military. So how does this help the cause?

 

YOU might. Many others would tell them to get a job and respect police officers. Then quickly grow tired of them and again, tell them to find another way to protest.

 

I dont follow the rest of your post...

  • Replies 187
  • Views 29.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To disrespect the flag and the country that allows such freedom, by overpaid athletes

 

There it is...

I would take more notice of their cause if they did it in front of police stations all over the country. You just said nobody would care is why they did it during the national anthem. Yet you also state that the majority aren't caring about why they are protesting, they are simply looking at the fact they disrespected the flag and the military. So how does this help the cause?

 

"They can protest, but only if they do it on terms I agree with."

 

Stop telling on yourself...

"They can protest, but only if they do it on terms I agree with."

 

Stop telling on yourself...

 

There again another one of you are not understanding what your reading. I never said I didn't agree with their cause. I don't agree with them doing it during the national anthem. I said it would make more sense and raise more awareness if they did it in front of police stations because that is where the problem lies, not at the football feild. And I'll ask you also, what am I telling?

The vast majority of people said specifically that they were mad because it's an insult to the military. The kneelers said consistently they support the military and this had nothing to do with them. Yet the vast majority of people STILL complain that the kneelers are anti-military/anti-flag.

 

It's that simple. They are choosing to not believe the kneelers. They are telling the kneelers why they are really kneeling.

 

Seems preposterous to me. Just like me telling the poster that his/her post was telling blacks how they can protest and her telling me that was 100% not true. If I kept saying it despite what I was told it would seem like I was either dense, stupid, or looking to be offended.

 

I can only tell you how people I know feel about it. It has zero to do with what the protesters say it's about. Zero to do with what they say they are not disrespecting. That's because of the method they chose. Point being their message got lost to those people by choosing to protest during the anthem. Any protest during the national anthem is unacceptable to them.

I get the point others make about a protest is meant to make people uncomfortable. This one isn't making them uncomfortable, it's making them angry. Angry people aren't going to listen.

YOU might. Many others would tell them to get a job and respect police officers. Then quickly grow tired of them and again, tell them to find another way to protest.

 

I dont follow the rest of your post...

 

As long as they don't disrupt the police's ability to perform their duties i wouldn't have a problem with the protest. Why would someone be saying "get a job"? We are talking about pro athletes here.

You stated that they did it during the anthem to get attention and cause conversation. Yet most of the attention and conversation is toward the fact that many believe they are disrespecting the flag and the military, not the actual reason they are protesting. So I ask again, how does this help the cause? I have asked 10 people their thoughts on players kneeling in protest during the anthem.2 people had no idea what I was even talking about. 8 said it is disrespectful. Of those 8, 7 didn't know what the protest was even about. They just knew of the players kneeling during the anthem, not why. Then when I told them why, 1 said " that's a good reason for a protest, but I don't know why you would show such disrespect for our country". The other six ," why would you do that? There is no cause for disrespecting the flag or the country unless you are protesting the flag, our country, military, or the government".

Edited by #99
Misspelled word

As long as they don't disrupt the police's ability to perform their duties i wouldn't have a problem with the protest. Why would someone be saying "get a job"? We are talking about pro athletes here.

You stated that they did it during the anthem to get attention and cause conversation. Yet most of the attention and conversation is toward the fact that many believe they are disrespecting the flag and the military, not the actual reason they are protesting. So I ask again, how does this help the cause? I have asked 10 people their thoughts on players kneeling in protest during the anthem.2 people had no idea what I was even talking about. 8 said it is disrespectful. Of those 8, 7 didn't know what the protest was even about. They just knew of the players kneeling during the anthem, not why. Then when I told them why, 1 said " that's a good reason for a protest, but I don't know why you would show such disrespect for our country". The other six ," why would you do that? There is no cause for disrespecting the flag or the country unless you are protesting the flag, our country, military, or the government".

 

Thanks for the clarification.

 

As for “how it helps,” there are many more conversations happening now on the reasons they are protesting than there were before. There are actually people that are able to move past when they are protesting and can focus on why they are protesting and have a discussion about that. Beating the dead horse about when/how shows unwillingness to address the issues.

At best, if you support the protest your anti-police. At worst, you’re willing to disrespect the flag to push your personal anti-police agenda.

 

Oh you’re only against the “bad” cops? Go tell “the good cops” you know that you support Kaps attack on the flag, that cops need to be retrained, give them advice on how to do their job. Let us know how that works out for you.

 

End of discussion.

At best, if you support the protest your anti-police. At worst, you’re willing to disrespect the flag to push your personal anti-police agenda.

 

Oh you’re only against the “bad” cops? Go tell “the good cops” you know that you support Kaps attack on the flag, that cops need to be retrained, give them advice on how to do their job. Let us know how that works out for you.

 

End of discussion.

It's the end of discussion only if you want to ignore the actual issues. I'm a teacher and I support the overwhelming number of teachers that do a great job at educating students. I recognize that some teachers are ineffective, some are biased, and some are predators, as evidenced by their actions. I don't support those teachers.

 

The overwhelming number of police officers are good people that want to make a positive difference in the lives of all of their citizens and to keep them safe. They have an unbelievably difficult job that frequently puts them in harms way and I support them. However, there are those that do not honor their fellow officers in their actions with certain groups of people. By the very nature of this work, this can have serious consequences on those groups of people, including injury and death. I don't support those cops.

 

So, it's not an all or nothing type issue, regardless of you implying that it is.

Then you better tell all the people that wear flags on articles of clothing, the people in the concourses and throughout the stadiums that don't stop etc that they are disrespecting the flag too. You (this is a general 'you') can't pick and choose which acts to be offended by based on who is doing them and expect to be taken serious.

 

Are people wearing flags or are they wearing the Stars and Stripes of our country?

I'll answer that question. The teachers were protesting something that affects their JOB.

Players protesting something that has nothing to do with their job, but doing it while at their JOB. Two totally different scenarios. If they want to protest police brutality and Injustice then go do it in front of the police station. Your didn't see the teachers protesting at a NFL game did you? The teachers didn't protest about something at school that had nothing to do with school or their job. They went to the source to protest and that is what should be done.

 

People have protested in front of police stations and in towns where incidents have happened and a majority of people didn’t support those protests either. Thank you for proving one of my points. I do appreciate that.

Are people wearing flags or are they wearing the Stars and Stripes of our country?

 

Semantics.

It's the end of discussion only if you want to ignore the actual issues. I'm a teacher and I support the overwhelming number of teachers that do a great job at educating students. I recognize that some teachers are ineffective, some are biased, and some are predators, as evidenced by their actions. I don't support those teachers.

 

The overwhelming number of police officers are good people that want to make a positive difference in the lives of all of their citizens and to keep them safe. They have an unbelievably difficult job that frequently puts them in harms way and I support them. However, there are those that do not honor their fellow officers in their actions with certain groups of people. By the very nature of this work, this can have serious consequences on those groups of people, including injury and death. I don't support those cops.

 

So, it's not an all or nothing type issue, regardless of you implying that it is.

 

I agree with what you've said here. Your last sentence is where the trouble started with Kaepernick's comments for many beyond the dislike for not standing for the anthem. His statement was "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color". That in and of itself implies it's not just some officers, but sounds like a generalized statement including the police period, and not just the police. The country. Many I've spoke with feel this way and have from the start.

I agree with what you've said here. Your last sentence is where the trouble started with Kaepernick's comments for many beyond the dislike for not standing for the anthem. His statement was "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color". That in and of itself implies it's not just some officers, but sounds like a generalized statement including the police period, and not just the police. The country. Many I've spoke with feel this way and have from the start.

 

He’s definitely speaking about the systemic and institutionalized racism in our country and not the police specifically.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.