May 28, 20188 yr I agree with what you've said here. Your last sentence is where the trouble started with Kaepernick's comments for many beyond the dislike for not standing for the anthem. His statement was "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color". That in and of itself implies it's not just some officers, but sounds like a generalized statement including the police period, and not just the police. The country. Many I've spoke with feel this way and have from the start. The sentence of his that you quoted....let's look at only that for a moment. "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color." 1) If someone feels this way, do we want them just to stand anyway, so that we can just pretend that they agreed with us? 2) I wish that we, as a country, put more time and effort into making this a country where people don't feel that way, rather than metaphorically putting our fingers in our ears and demanding that people stand. But, too many just don't care or because they haven't seen the problem they think that it doesn't exist.
May 28, 20188 yr The sentence of his that you quoted....let's look at only that for a moment. "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color." 1) If someone feels this way, do we want them just to stand anyway, so that we can just pretend that they agreed with us? 2) I wish that we, as a country, put more time and effort into making this a country where people don't feel that way, rather than metaphorically putting our fingers in our ears and demanding that people stand. But, too many just don't care or because they haven't seen the problem they think that it doesn't exist. I'll say it again: if you don't have pride in the american flag you can go live somewhere else. This country as a whole does not suppress black people and people of color. So take your fight to the ones who do. You don't have to stand to "agree with us". Stand to show support for the country you live in. If you don't support the country you live in then get out.
May 28, 20188 yr I'll say it again: if you don't have pride in the american flag you can go live somewhere else. This country as a whole does not suppress black people and people of color. So take your fight to the ones who do. You don't have to stand to "agree with us". Stand to show support for the country you live in. If you don't support the country you live in then get out. It's too bad that you don't see the irony here. Our country is founded on freedom and I, you, NFL players and every other citizen have the right to stand up against anything we feel that isn't just. Your "love it or leave it" mantra flies in the face of freedom. I love my country very, very much, but I am not blind to its faults and its problems.
May 28, 20188 yr It's too bad that you don't see the irony here. Our country is founded on freedom and I, you, NFL players and every other citizen have the right to stand up against anything we feel that isn't just. Your "love it or leave it" mantra flies in the face of freedom. I love my country very, very much, but I am not blind to its faults and its problems. I am not blind to it's faults or problems either. I have never said that people don't have the right to stand up for what is not right. When I choose to stand for something, I do it for the right reasons, the right way, and direct it toward the people or institution that is responsible. I love this country and would never intentionally disrespect the flag, the anthem, or the people who fought for this country. And i definitely don't expect any one else to do so either.
May 28, 20188 yr I am not blind to it's faults or problems either. I have never said that people don't have the right to stand up for what is not right. When I choose to stand for something, I do it for the right reasons, the right way, and direct it toward the people or institution that is responsible. I love this country and would never intentionally disrespect the flag, the anthem, or the people who fought for this country. And i definitely don't expect any one else to do so either. It doesn't matter what you or I expect. They have the right to do so, regardless of who likes it. That's freedom.
May 28, 20188 yr And I never said" love it or leave it". I said if you don't have pride in the flag you can go live somewhere else. I am not going to stand shoulder to shoulder with anyone who does not respect or have pride in this countries flag. I am not going to stand next to anyone who doesn't respect the flag enough to stand for the anthem. You don't stand for the anthem next to me and we are gonna have a problem.
May 28, 20188 yr It doesn't matter what you or I expect. They have the right to do so, regardless of who likes it. That's freedom. You are totally correct. Doesn't mean I have to like what they do.
May 28, 20188 yr And I never said" love it or leave it". I said if you don't have pride in the flag you can go live somewhere else. That’s literally the same thing.
May 29, 20188 yr He’s definitely speaking about the systemic and institutionalized racism in our country and not the police specifically. The sentence of his that you quoted....let's look at only that for a moment. "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color." 1) If someone feels this way, do we want them just to stand anyway, so that we can just pretend that they agreed with us? 2) I wish that we, as a country, put more time and effort into making this a country where people don't feel that way, rather than metaphorically putting our fingers in our ears and demanding that people stand. But, too many just don't care or because they haven't seen the problem they think that it doesn't exist. I completely understand what you both are saying, and I don't completely disagree. I will forever have a problem with anyone protesting during the anthem. It's not that I don't care about the reason for the protest, I just can not accept it in that time and place. I hope you both can understand why I feel that way.
May 29, 20188 yr It doesn't matter what you or I expect. They have the right to do so, regardless of who likes it. That's freedom. Well, until their employer says they can't.
May 29, 20188 yr Well, until their employer says they can't. They can still choose not to stand during the anthem. They just wouldn't be able to do it during a game as an NFL employee with garnering a fine.
May 29, 20188 yr I wonder if players will begin to address these issues when negotiating contracts. “Will you support a stance, or kneel in this case, or will you make me a pariah?”
May 29, 20188 yr They can still choose not to stand during the anthem. They just wouldn't be able to do it during a game as an NFL employee with garnering a fine. Correct.
May 29, 20188 yr I completely understand what you both are saying, and I don't completely disagree. I will forever have a problem with anyone protesting during the anthem. It's not that I don't care about the reason for the protest, I just can not accept it in that time and place. I hope you both can understand why I feel that way. Yes, I understand why you feel that way.
June 2, 20188 yr Winners. Every person that has lost a loved one or a dear friend protecting this countries freedoms So here is my biggest problem. Protesting during the national anthem clearly touches many people in different ways. A lot, like me, see it as the wrong forum and find it “very offensive” to memories of those lost protecting this country or sacrificing daily serving it Why not do something a little differntly? If you believe in the protest that strongly. Why not sit out games? Why not have the NFL. NBA. NHL MLB MLS just simply refuse to play in protest. Shut the leagues down! That will drawl more attention than they could ever want. The only people offended by this display would be the owners that most so adimently hate. Do the paychecks get in the way for the players? If that is the reasoning the. You are not that strongly committed in my opinion. If you are t that strongly committed then why “offend “ so many by kneeling during the anthem
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.