Question for those with mechanical knowledge.

newarkcatholicfan

Without knowing the car type, it's hard to say on price.

As someone said above there's only 2 reasons a car won't start - No fuel or no fire.

Your situation sounds most like a fuel pump. Usually coil packs and things of that nature will make it run bad as opposed to all of a sudden not starting.

Depending on vehicle type it can be fairly cheap or real expensive. If it is just a pump, it shouldn't be too bad.

However, a number of the newer cars have high pressure fuel systems where the pump, line, everything is one part that has to be completely replaced. They're not cheap.

The recall NCF mentioned was for a 2008 Cobalt.

The recall NCF mentioned was for a 2008 Cobalt.

There was also a fuel system recall on these cars. Looks like most of the vehicles were originally sold in states other than KY, but it's worth checking your vin.

Delpi and Bosch pump and sending unit are $165, after market starts around $75. Personally I would go Delphi or Bosch.

Should be $200 -$250 labor I would think.

Ii was right it was something bad.

Timing chain broke and basically killed the engine.

This was the 2nd time I have had an engine in the 2008 Cobalt do this.

Well that's just bite in the seat. That isn't normally a problem in most cars. However when the timing chain/belt breaks, it's never good.

Ii was right it was something bad.

Timing chain broke and basically killed the engine.

This was the 2nd time I have had an engine in the 2008 Cobalt do this.

Are they sure it damaged the engine? Valve damage can occur, but not always. Unfortunately the only way to tell, (as far as I know)without tearing the engine down, is to put in a new chain and tentioners and see if it runs.

Ecotech 4 cyl. Some are good and I've had them with 200,000+ miles still running. I've had many more that never made it to a100,000. Almost all were timing chain failure that led to catastrophic engine damage. And yes and engine can break a chain while shutting it off.