Mercer, Russell or Western?

jrider111

I think that Mercer, Western and Russell are the best 2A teams in the state and should all be considered contenders with real legit shots to win the trophy at the pizza box. There are others, but those 3 seem to have solid squads on both sides of the ball. My top 3, in order, would be:

Mercer

Western

Russell

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Mercer has the potential to go all the way to Papa John's. Given the short period of time they have been playing together as one team, I think they have done awesome. This merge has even made them stronger players individually and they have each been challenged more to take it to the next level! They have come together as one team, with the same goal, winning! Good luck Mighty Mighty Titans.

Mercer is a no-brainer decision to predict to win the state title.... but.. IMO there are about 6 or 7 teams who may have the ability to "upset" them.

1. Western

2. Russell

3. Middlesboro

4. Sheldon Clark

5. Belfry

6. Breathitt

7. Larue Co.

These teams could, but, I feel that Mercer Co. will win the State Championship based on their performances this year. It is safe, but that is what I think.

Total Points Total Points Allowed Opponents' Records

Western 400 173 35-44

Mercer Co. 481 81 31-50

Russell Co, 395 76 29-54

Post The stats of the team you think has the best shot of winning it all, if its not one of these 3.

The won-loss records of these teams opponents kind of surprises me. I wonder where they rank as far as strength of schedule in the 2A Massey ratings.

I think Mercer drops it to a EKY team who has a decent defense and can score points...i.e. Middlesboro or Russell. Mercer is not that tough.

As far as toughness you are way wrong. Mercer is a very tough team and they have a nasty attitude on the defensive side of the ball. The starters have given up 39 points through 9 games. Middlesboro doesnt have the defense to stop Mercer. I think it will take a Russell or Belfry to stop Mercer. They have kids with championship experience. That's somthing the Titans lack. But, make no mistake they want that.

The won-loss records of these teams opponents kind of surprises me. I wonder where they rank as far as strength of schedule in the 2A Massey ratings.

The most recent Massey rankings shows the following for strength of schedule rankings:

In 2A (out of 53 teams)

Larue County (1)

Western (4)

Mercer County (11)

Russell (32)

Overall (out of 222 teams)

St. Xavier (1)

Western (75)

Mercer County (106)

Russell (163)

Which really doesn't tell a whole lot except the strength of a particular district in most cases. I know that Russell and Western only get three non district games. Mercer gets 5 non distric games, while meaning nothing in particular, just means they have more leeway to schedule other games.