Mercer, Russell or Western?

jrider111

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Middlesboro - 8-1 record 404 pts for and 178 pts against ... Unsure what opponents record is because they've played 2 out of state teams..I know Knoxville Central was 7-0 a couple of weeks ago, but, I have no idea on Lee, Va record...Middlesboro's defense is suspect, but, they have alot of good athletes and a very good offense...I believe they will represent the east this year and possibly pull the upset over Mercer/Western or Ft Campbell, in a 1 game scenario

Middlesboro - 8-1 record 404 pts for and 178 pts against ... Unsure what opponents record is because they've played 2 out of state teams..I know Knoxville Central was 7-0 a couple of weeks ago, but, I have no idea on Lee, Va record...Middlesboro's defense is suspect, but, they have alot of good athletes and a very good offense...I believe they will represent the east this year and possibly pull the upset over Mercer/Western or Ft Campbell, in a 1 game scenario
Central (TN) is 7-2 and Lee (VA) is 2-6.

At one point in the season Central was 4-0 and was ranked #2 In the State on Tennessee in class 4A.

Central (TN) is 7-2 and Lee (VA) is 2-6.

At one point in the season Central was 4-0 and was ranked #2 In the State on Tennessee in class 4A.

Yes, I knew they were really good...I heard on a tn sports talk show a couple of weeks ago and them saying there was 3 Knoxville teams undefeated, I remember 1 being Fulton and I thought one was Central but I could be mistaken

I don't like the fact that Mercer has not really been tested. I think they are the most talented of the 3. But the way their schedule is it is scary that they may not be tested until later in the playoffs. What happens then? What happens to Mercer if they meet someone and fall behind by a couple of scores? How will the kids react?

Yes, I knew they were really good...I heard on a tn sports talk show a couple of weeks ago and them saying there was 3 Knoxville teams undefeated, I remember 1 being Fulton and I thought one was Central but I could be mistaken
Catholic is 9-0 they beat 8-1 Fulton last week 24-17.

Maryville is also 9-0 and they are currently on a 39 game winning streak, Maryville is so good year in and year out they might not never lose another game.

I don't like the fact that Mercer has not really been tested. I think they are the most talented of the 3. But the way their schedule is it is scary that they may not be tested until later in the playoffs. What happens then? What happens to Mercer if they meet someone and fall behind by a couple of scores? How will the kids react?

Great post there. Who knows? I've wondered the same thing.

Middlesboro would likely have to go to Belfry AND Russell and win to get to Louisville. If they don't learn to play defense they have no shot...

I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong. With Belfry at 4-1 in the district and Sheldon Clark 4-1 in the district wouldn't Belfry get the 2 seed because of head to head? If that is the case then if Middlesboro has the 1 seed because of its win over Breathitt, then Middleboro would host round Belfry in round 3

Also for the semi-state. I know that since this is an even year ('06') the even numbered region would host, which would make m'boro (region 4) hosting the game.

I think that if Mercer plays its game it will be very difficult for them to be beaten. I think they are the most complete team in 2A. I like the fact that it appears that they have the kicking situation cleaned up. Early in the season they could not make an EXP. I just believe that it will be hard for anyone to score more than a couple of times on the Titan (Varsity) defense, and saying that would mean you would have to contain that speed, which can be very difficult to do.