So what is an "offer"?

Jo-Jo13

Is an offer when the coaches say they want you on the team??

Is an offer when they give you a full scholarship?

Is an offer when they say they want you on the team but do not have a scholarship?

What about if you get a letter and they say "wanted to let you know that, after watching your film and reviewing your academic credentials, you are the exact type of student-athlete that we want here at..." or "You have been identified as a potential recruit for us in our 2019 class and our staff is very excited to begin the recruiting process with you!"

Have they personally contacted you and I’m not talking about the same letter template that they send to thousands that they found on a recruiting database?

An offer is just that an offer. Means nothing until December 21st or Feb 7th. Maybe even later with “Over Signings” and Grey Shirts. I’m learning this the hard way.

Was the offer on the table before the December signing date? After? Injury(s) occurred when?

Have they personally contacted you and I’m not talking about the same letter template that they send to thousands that they found on a recruiting database?

This is just a general question. Wasn't referring to anything. Just curious on what people thought on this.

Another instance is what about a phone call from the coach saying they want you on the team but they do not have any scholarship money available. Is that still and offer?

For starters I would like to say that I’m sure I speak for all in wishing your son the best in his recovery.

Do you mind if I ask the level of schools that are recruiting him? The injuries?

He was recruited by Mid Major D1 (MAC, Conf USA, American) and Big 10 and SEC on a very limited Basis. Had offers from the MAC and Conf USA, EKU and Murray State. PWO from Louisville. He commited to Toledo, but they are in an over signing situation and have some Seniors that they want to bring back for a 5 year. A whole bunch of factors went into them not signing him during early signing period on 12/21. They have every intention on signing him on 2/7 but may or may not consider a Grey shirt. If so, he will not be a scholarship athlete until Spring Semester 2019. (not ideal, but not end of the world).

He tore his labrum (shoulder dislocations) in the 1st game this past season vs Cov Cath. Sat out 3 games, came back for 3 more, then shut it down for surgery so he could be cleared before College camp starts late June. The 3 games he came back, his shoulder dislocated just about every other play. Would just go in and out on its own. Hard to complain about this process but it still is an opportunity nonetheless. Level heads prevail, right?

This is just a general question. Wasn't referring to anything. Just curious on what people thought on this.

Another instance is what about a phone call from the coach saying they want you on the team but they do not have any scholarship money available. Is that still and offer?

my 2 cents, depending on the Level (D1 FBS/FCS or D2) then this could be construed as a Walk on sport (preferred or non preferred) If it is D3, then it's non scholarship. D3 will work through Financial aid through educational scholarships, grants, etc.

An offer is defined in many ways depending on the level (D1, D2, D3, or NAIA) 100% full ride, partial, roster spot, etc. Key is what is in writing and nothing is official until both parties sign on the dotted line. Unfortunately, college coaches change their minds, find someone else, or the player in question suffers an injury, etc. and "things change". Recruiting is like relationships. Until things are signed, sealed and delivered everyone is just "dating" and not until everything is signed are you "married".

One of the things that I wished more players would consider is junior colleges especially when there are no offers or things don't go as planned or unforeseen circumstances occur. Being a product of one and earning a D1 full ride after playing two seasons it does give players another chance to reach their ultimate goals of playing at a higher level not to mention allows them to expand their horizons of going to another part of the country, since KY does not have any JC's, and develop new relationships. Our local D3 schools do a great job but if a player wants that "2nd look", junior colleges certainly can be a viable option if a player is willing to leave home. JMO.

He was recruited by Mid Major D1 (MAC, Conf USA, American) and Big 10 and SEC on a very limited Basis. Had offers from the MAC and Conf USA, EKU and Murray State. PWO from Louisville. He commited to Toledo, but they are in an over signing situation and have some Seniors that they want to bring back for a 5 year. A whole bunch of factors went into them not signing him during early signing period on 12/21. They have every intention on signing him on 2/7 but may or may not consider a Grey shirt. If so, he will not be a scholarship athlete until Spring Semester 2019. (not ideal, but not end of the world).

He tore his labrum (shoulder dislocations) in the 1st game this past season vs Cov Cath. Sat out 3 games, came back for 3 more, then shut it down for surgery so he could be cleared before College camp starts late June. The 3 games he came back, his shoulder dislocated just about every other play. Would just go in and out on its own. Hard to complain about this process but it still is an opportunity nonetheless. Level heads prevail, right?

You got that right. If they pull an offer after both parties seriously involved for that length of overall time, and over a torn labrum then I hope they never win another game.

You got that right. If they pull an offer after both parties seriously involved for that length of overall time, and over a torn labrum then I hope they never win another game.

Just to be clear, they haven’t pulled the offer. Just Contemplating in when to bring him in as a scholarship athlete. Right away or the 2nd semester is his Freshman year