Newport 62 Brossart 59

Controversy ensues on the final play.........the Stangs attempt a game tying triple at the horn, Brossart Head Coach Mike Code is far from happy with the "no call" and charges after one of the officials, however the official in question had already made it into the locker room.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both teams were a little rusty in the 1st half.....Cats way too many 3-balls and the Stangs with some costly turnovers and missed gimmes, however the Stangs lead at the break, 30-29.

2nd half starts with Burries and "Warren G" Harding hitting 4 consecutive triples for Newport as the open up a double digit lead. However, Brossart was determined to get back in it and played gritty to pull within a bucket....and had 3 opportunities with under 2:00 to play to take the lead, but two missed shots and a turnover negated that chance.

I can see Newport giving fits to any team that does not have superior ball handlers.

Very impressed with how the Stangs never gave up tonight.

Unofficially Burries with 25 for Newport and Hamberg with 20 for the Stangs.

Thank you gentlemen for a very entertaining game tonight.

Yeah, not a good call by any means. It’s a defining play but not one that decided the final outcome. The mustangs had too many turnovers and quick shots. Free throws could if iced the game for Newport but they missed too many which kept the game close. MacDonald showed good prowess around the basket versus Newport’s athleticism.

Yeah, not a good call by any means. It’s a defining play but not one that decided the final outcome. The mustangs had too many turnovers and quick shots. Free throws could if iced the game for Newport but they missed too many which kept the game close. MacDonald showed good prowess around the basket versus Newport’s athleticism.

They missed 6 in a row with under 2:00 minutes to go. :eek:

Great effort by our guys.

A rough, physical game on both sides.

No contrast of styles tonight. We may have been a bit more selective but it was a " take what you can get " game from the opening tip.

Newport came out after the half and hit six threes. Led by as many as 11, but credit our guys for battling back and making a game of it.

Newport equalled Highlands free-throw shooting effort, going 1 for 11 down the stretch.

I think the game was way to fast and physical causing the officials to pick and choose what they called.

I got blocked out in the final shot but am not surprised that it wasn't called.

Brossart played without blue-chipper Bryce Donnelly and Will only benefit in spades from his return.

Hamberg put up 23, Burris 26.

Brossart freshman Carson Schirmer played 19 minutes in his first varsity game.

Pretty good effort by our guys.

A rough, physical game on both sides.

No contrast of styles tonight. We may have been a bit more selective but it was a take what you can get game from the opening tip.

Newport came out after the half and hit six threes. Led by as many as 11, but credit our guys for battling back and making a game of it.

Newport equalled Highlands free-throw shooting effort, going 1 for 11 down the stretch.

I think the game was way to fast and physical causing the officials to pick and choose what they called.

I got blocked out in the final shot but am not surprised that it wasn't called.

Brossart played without blue-chopper Bryce Donnelly and Will only benefit in spades from his return.

Hamberg put up 23, Burris 26.

Brossart freshman Carson Schirmer played 19 minutes in his first varsity game.

I thought once they got that big lead they were just going to increase upon it, but your Stangs battled back to their credit.

:eek:

Saw lots of Camels, NCC Breds, Bellevue Tigers, etc. taking in this one. Can't judge everything by the first game of the season, but either Newport is rated a bit too high in the 9th or Brossart is being way overlooked as far as being a contender in the 10th Region this season. Which is it?

Saw lots of Camels, NCC Breds, Bellevue Tigers, etc. taking in this one. Can't judge everything by the first game of the season, but either Newport is rated a bit too high in the 9th or Brossart is being way overlooked as far as being a contender in the 10th Region this season. Which is it?

The easy and obvious answer is both. I think the difference with Brossart this year is experience and physical presence. Not only are they a little thicker, but they are long. On the other hand, if Newport is the preseason #3 then there is a lot of disparity from the top 2 teams in the 9th and the rest region.

I thought once they got that big lead they were just going to increase upon it, but your Stangs battled back to their credit.

:eek:

Sometimes you can ride out a hot shooting streak, and I think that is what happened.

While we fell behind by 11 in the midst of the fire-storm, we rode out the storm and reduced the lead to 49-47 at the end of the third quarter.

What I love about this team is how deep we are and how many productive roles are being filled.

Coach Code went nine deep tonight, with eight of them logging over 8 minutes. Add to that he had Donnelly and Wieland sitting next to him. Get and stay healthy and we are going to have some fun this season.

Newport didn’t play well at all but they were entirely more talented than brossart. First game jitters if those two met down the road I think the game would be completely different. Burries with 26 this kid is going to be a match up nightmare.

Newport didn’t play well at all but they were entirely more talented than brossart. First game jitters if those two met down the road I think the game would be completely different. Burries with 26 this kid is going to be a match up nightmare.

Congrats on your 9th post on BGP ... and what game were you watching?

Both teams were a little rusty in the 1st half.....Cats way too many 3-balls and the Stangs with some costly turnovers and missed gimmes, however the Stangs lead at the break, 30-29.

2nd half starts with Burries and "Warren G" Harding hitting 4 consecutive triples for Newport as the open up a double digit lead. However, Brossart was determined to get back in it and played gritty to pull within a bucket....and had 3 opportunities with under 2:00 to play to take the lead, but two missed shots and a turnover negated that chance.

I can see Newport giving fits to any team that does not have superior ball handlers.

Very impressed with how the Stangs never gave up tonight.

Unofficially Burries with 25 for Newport and Hamberg with 20 for the Stangs.

Thank you gentlemen for a very entertaining game tonight.

Thanks LB. Love you game recaps. It’s been a minute since we have had a chance to chat. Keep up the good work. :thumb: