From Your Perspective, What is "Faith" ?

Good to hear from you. I've thought a lot of about you the last few weeks. I've truly missed hearing from you in the astronomy thread. In addition to the Geminid meteor shower that peaks mid-month, make sure you and pawpaw check out the Supermoon this Sunday evening.

Yes, saw your post and we will definitely be watching. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I think sports is a great analogy for faith. There are fans that have such strong faith that their team will win that they spend $100’s for a ticket, paint their face, and brave freezing temperatures to be there to enjoy their team’s victory. They even have so much faith in their team that they wager their money. Yet… for many fans, week after week they leave in disappointment. I work with Cleveland Browns fans…. I see it every Monday as they sheepishly pay their debts. You would think that next week they would reevaluate their actions, but no… it is a repeat of the week before.

Their faith is what I call blind faith, or faith without substance. There is no evidence for what they believe… there is no past performance that would indicate that what they believe to be true is actually true. So why do they believe? Because they are fans… which is short for fanatic. A fanatic doesn’t need any evidence they simply just “believe” based on their passion and emotion.

For me, faith is a strong belief in what I know to be true. I am not a fanatic, but rather a believer in what is true. My faith is based on my hope. My hope is based in what I know. I do not put my faith in something unknown, unworthy, or incapable… but rather what I know is secure.

Back to a sports analogy…. If I train hard, if I practice hard, if I prepare all week for the battle (on the sports field)… then there is substance behind my faith. There is a reason for me to “believe” that I will be victorious. I may not win every time, but it doesn’t change my faith because I “know” that my training is making me stronger and growing my ability to do compete. But… if I am not training, not preparing, not trying to better myself… and then I go into battle expecting (believing) that I will be victorious (just because I have faith that God or whoever will help me prevail)… then that is foolishness… not faith.