Will Mayfield be "psyched out" by Danville?

Does Danville's 9-1 record against Mayfield give the Admirals a psychological edge?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Does Danville's 9-1 record against Mayfield give the Admirals a psychological edge?

Danville has a long and strong record of success over Mayfield. With a 9-1 record over Mayfield, is Danville the "huckleberry" to Mayfield?

Mayfield players are going to hear about this history all week long. Is this history of failure by Mayfield going to get in their heads and give Danville a psychological advantage in the title game?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Danville has a long and strong record of success over Mayfield. With a 9-1 record over Mayfield, is Danville the "huckleberry" to Mayfield?

Mayfield players are going to hear about this history all week long. Is this history of failure by Mayfield going to get in their heads and give Danville a psychological advantage in the title game?

Surely you jest, Mayfield may not win, but they WILL NOT be psyched out, or intimidated by Danville. I am actually surprised that you would think this was a possibility. Danville was in the championship game last year and with the players they had coming back I think most people thought they would be back. This is not the Cardinals first rodeo, coach Joe will have his team ready and win, lose, it will not have anything to so with history against the Ads.

They are going to know and hear about this history all week long.

Not if they have a good coaching staff... Obviously you can't control what they hear elsewhere, but I'm in the camp that thinks the old records mean absolutely nothing to the current Cards. And definitely not enough to psyche them out...

Surely you jest, Mayfield may not win, but they WILL NOT be psyched out, or intimidated by Danville. I am actually surprised that you would think this was a possibility. Danville was in the championship game last year and with the players they had coming back I think most people thought they would be back. This is not the Cardinals first rodeo, coach Joe will have his team ready and win, lose, it will not have anything to so with history against the Ads.

I believe a lot of Cardinals fans think this type of thing is a possibility. In fact, I know they do. I have heard them say it before.

A lot of Cardinal fans? Who? Where?

Cardinals fans said often in past threads that they have a psychological advantage over Beechwood because of their success versus Beechwood. So which way is it? If there is no pyshological advantage, then they were wrong in the past when they claimed there was one when they played Beechwood. If they were right, then they should believe Danville has an edge over the Cardinals.

I believe a lot of Cardinals fans think this type of thing is a possibility. In fact, I know they do. I have heard them say it before.

Well you have information that I don't, cause I have never heard that, as a matter of fact, if you, or anyone else want to believe that to be a possibility, I would turn it around and say that the HISTORY will make Mayfield MORE PSYCHED out to beat Danville. Danville won most of those games because they were simply better, a few of them could of gone either way, no excuses, we didn't make the plays to win and Danville did. I think Mayfield will win this game, and I have not spoken to anyone who thinks different. Just stir the pot, and keep hoping for that to be true. I can't stop laughing that you think its even possible.

Cardinals fans said often in past threads that they have a psychological advantage over Beechwood because of their success versus Beechwood. So which way is it? If there is no pyshological advantage, then they were wrong in the past when they claimed there was one when they played Beechwood. If they were right, then they should believe Danville has an edge over the Cardinals.

They were probably just stirring the pot as you are now.

Not at all. They got that monkey off there back 14 years ago. Some of the older fans who played back in the 80s or 90s may feel that way, but, the players on the team now weren't even born back then. Mayfield won there fair share of championships when Danville was in there class. Danville was a load back in those days and Mayfield typically played them as well as anyone else did. Recent history says Mayfield has been the better program over the past 10-12 years, as it's been several years since the Ads have won a championship, while Mayfield will be making its 8th title appearance in the last 9 years, having won it all 6 times. While the Ads have been down for there standards in this same time period, they do have there best team in a long, long time, so, they may well win again, but, it won't be due to any past history, but, just that they played better or outscored them. I'm expecting a terrific game that could go either way, but, when you get to this stage of the game, that's the way it's supposed to be. It's not supposed to be easy..

They were probably just stirring the pot as you are now.

I have heard Cardinals fans talk about their lack of success versus Danville. I think this is a legitimate question to ask, especially since Cardinals fans have claimed many times in the past there is a psychological edge. If nothing else, we will find out if they really believe that or not.

I have heard Cardinals fans talk about their lack of success versus Danville. I think this is a legitimate question to ask, especially since Cardinals fans have claimed many times in the past there is a psychological edge. If nothing else, we will find out if they really believe that or not.

So, you're basically saying if Mayfield loses, it'll be due to Danville being in there heads. I'm sure the Ads faithful would prefer to believe it's because they had the better team, just like Mayfield had all those years against Beechwood.

Or maybe, the Danville kids will hear all week about how much success they've had against Mayfield and think this will be a piece of cake and come in overconfident. It could go either way.

The difference in this scenario and the Beechwood scenario is because it was recent history. Many of those kids that took those losses for Beechwood, took it 3 or 4 years in a row and thus, a chance it could get in there heads. None of these kids on Mayfield have ever played Danville, while at the same time building confidence by winning championships. Thus, no mental edge in this case..