Should certain programs choose not to play for state title?

thsrocks

Should some schools opt out of state playoffs?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should some schools opt out of state playoffs?

No.

There will always be - every year - teams in every class of every sport that cannot win the title. That's sports. If we were to do this, we'd need to have about 25 classes....each with around 10 teams with about the same perceived chance of winning their respective class... LOL

It's not like that here in Ga. There are always about 10-20 teams that have gone to no region schedules for various reasons. We also have two different leagues though. They have to commit to it for 4 years before they can play in the playoffs though. They'll schedule each other, teams that play in the GHSPA or out of state teams. I like the idea because we had a team in the highest classification in our region that had not scored a point in two years and had been beaten something like 900-0 the two years they were in our region. It worked for them to rebuild and get a little success. (although, they aren't much better now)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not like that here in Ga. There are always about 10-20 teams that have gone to no region schedules for various reasons. We also have two different leagues though. They have to commit to it for 4 years before they can play in the playoffs though. They'll schedule each other, teams that play in the GHSPA or out of state teams. I like the idea because we had a team in the highest classification in our region that had not scored a point in two years and had been beaten something like 900-0 the two years they were in our region. It worked for them to rebuild and get a little success. (although, they aren't much better now)
This sounds like a great idea. The programs in question are hurting and if they can get back to being competitive, they can always choose to rejoin the pack chasing the rings and trophies.

I posted this in another thread that we discussed this in but....

There should be an independent classification for teams that do not want to pursue a state championship.

(this would probably reduce the state championship classifications back down to 5, maybe even 4 due to number of teams)

Let the teams in the independent classification schedule just as they do now, they can play each other during the district weeks.

Then in week 11 (first round of playoffs currently) allow them to have 4, 5, 6 how many ever you need, sites to have a bowl game type setup where just those independent teams go against each other. Do it at all the small colleges in the state. 3 to 4 games on that first playoff Saturday. Give them something to play for and build their program for, but not a state championship.

Here is a cut at a this that would basically take the arbitary decision out of the schools hands.

4 Classes

8 Super Districts per class

7 Teams per Super District (or 8 for a small few)

Paired Super Districts create a Region for cross over playoffs

Take the top 4 teams for each Super District and play them off for THE Regional Championship and then on the seperately logoed State tournament.

The 3 or 4 teams that do not qualify for the above go into a parallel 'B' level tournament.

Advantages:

In essence there are now 8 classes instead of 6 while returning to 4 classes formally.

More competitive playoffs in the two-tier structure.

Provide weaker teams realistic end of season opportunity to shine and not just be fodder to the strong schools.

Get all teams into the post season.

Let the actual season results decide who is competitive and who is not. If you are 5th in a 7 or 8 team super District then you are not winning state and almost as likely to not win the region. That is a cold truth with football.

Still lower tier programs need something to build on - the all deserve a post season. But lets make it post season against more comparative competition and something that coaches and administrators and parents can build on for the next year.

If ever there was a discussion that argues in favor of more classes in football, I am seeing it in this thread. That's right, I said more classes. Whenever the 6 class system whining thread is started (multiple times every year), I always see posts by people attacking the 6 class system and yelling it is the "trophy for everyone" mentality. And in this thread people are saying take the least successful programs, put them in their own class and give one of them a trophy. OK, whatever.

Second point I will make on this discussion - Logan County.

As watered down as the current playoff system is, a state title does not mean that much. I am speaking of 6-A in particular. A few years ago, there were some informal talks going on of forming a super conference. This regional conference would have included all the schools in GCL in Cincinnati. Trinity, and Saint Xavier in Louisville, and cathedral, and Roncalli out of Indianapolis. Came to naught because of having 3 different high school athletic associations involved.

Some of these schools have opted out to try and rebuild— I think it’s a good strategy in some cases. Pull out, regroup, do what you can to build some community pride in the program. Get some wins, and get kids excited, then wade into the waters.

I don't think there need to be MORE state titles/tournaments. But I don't think there's shame in programs saying "we're not there, but we want to field a competitive team." and making it so there team competes. Even if they have to travel, and play out of a district. It's about the kids and memories and character building, not trophies.