Garmin GPS

All In

I've been using my phone as a GPS for quite a few years now. Haven't had a standalone unit since the GPS on phones became commonplace. Data use is negligible at worst. I've used it for 10-12 hour trips with no major spike in data usage. Unless for some reason you don't have a smart phone, I see no practical reason to use a stand alone GPS unit.

What makes WAZE better than Google Maps?

Waze will give you a heads up if there's an accident up ahead, police activity, or some other alert notice regarding what's up ahead on the road you're traveling. Information comes from users on the road.

What makes WAZE better than Google Maps?

Waze will give you a heads up if there's an accident up ahead, police activity, or some other alert notice regarding what's up ahead on the road you're traveling. Information comes from users on the road.
It will also reroute you around heavy traffic and accidents.

It will also reroute you around heavy traffic and accidents.

Went to Chicago last year and had Waze on. At one point in time it had us get off the interstate, seemingly waaaaay too early. Made a left, then a right, then another left and so on. Ended up going through this small town. My wife and I are both looking at each other thinking this thing is broke. Two minutes later we're on a road that's running parallel to the interstate. We're booking it down the road at 55, while they're sitting in a parking lot. About 10 minutes later we were back on the interstate, no doubt miles and possibly, hours, ahead of where we would've been.

Went to Chicago last year and had Waze on. At one point in time it had us get off the interstate, seemingly waaaaay too early. Made a left, then a right, then another left and so on. Ended up going through this small town. My wife and I are both looking at each other thinking this thing is broke. Two minutes later we're on a road that's running parallel to the interstate. We're booking it down the road at 55, while they're sitting in a parking lot. About 10 minutes later we were back on the interstate, no doubt miles and possibly, hours, ahead of where we would've been.

That happens to me going to and from the VA in Nashville quite often.

And it only takes it doing it one time to make you a believer.

• 3 weeks later...

Had my worst experience with Waze last week while on vacation. Coming back from Michigan's UP, we decided to come down the west side of the state along Lake Michigan. Had never been over there before, and there were several places that we had heard about before, but had never gone to.

We make it to Traverse City, eat lunch there, then head to the Sleeping Bear National Shoreline. There are some huge sand dunes there. Waze ended up leading us down a dead end road onto somebody's farm. Have absolutely no idea why we were sent there. We ended up being miles away from the shoreline. And even if the farm butted up to part of the park...there's no entrance there! Was about ready to chuck the phone out the window at that time.

The GPS portion of your phone navigation uses no data at all.

The rendering of the maps is what uses data. It is a small amount though. An eight hour trip on Google Maps or Apple Maps may use 40 MB.

There are offline maps though that use no data data at all. Like Sygic or Copilot. These however will not let you know about traffic issues.