• Johnson, Essex
    • Johnson, Pete
    • Johnson, Rudi
    • Kinnebrew, Larry
    • Neal, Lorenzo
    • Phillips, Jess
    • Robinson, Paul
    • Woods, Ickey

IMO, James Brooks was the best the Bengals ever had. So dynamic, and a game changer. May have been one of the best in the NFL for a three or four year period.

Pete Johnson was a fullback that could catch a pass, he did so many things for the Bengals. I loved watching him play as a kid. Funny thing is I think the Bengals traded Pete to get James.

"Brooks would have done nothing" Really!!! Lets not get goofy here. With the talent that brooks had,he's going to help,ANY team. C'mon! Lets think things through. You could use the reverse when talking about Dillion. Had he played with a better q.b.,and w.r.'s ,he may not have gotten the work.Less touches!!! I'd take either one,right now!!!! Love the debate!

"Brooks would have done nothing" Really!!! Lets not get goofy here. With the talent that brooks had' date='he's going to help,ANY team. C'mon! Lets think things through. You could use the reverse when talking about Dillion. Had he played with a better q.b.,and w.r.'s ,he may not have gotten the work.Less touches!!! I'd take either one,right now!!!! Love the debate![/quote']

Fair enough. I think it's a lot easier to have fond memories of a very good player when a team is good. Than it is to have fond memories of a very good player on horrible teams.

Which by the way if we wanted to know how Dillon could have done with a good qb, and other weapons on offense. Just look at his first season in New England at the age of 30 when he was about out of his prime. As great as he was with the Bengals. He had his best year ever with the Patriots. He ran for over 1600 yards in the regular season with 12 touchdowns. He also had his highest yards per carry average that year. So that does give us a good indication on how he would have done.

As for Brooks how would he have looked with Akili Smith, Gus Ferotte, Scott Mitchell, etc at qb, with no receivers. I have a feeling Brooks wouldn't have been as highly thought of.

During Brooks first 6 years as a Bengal which were his best years he averaged 39 receptions a year during that 6 year period. During Dillons first 6 years as a Bengal he averaged 30 receptions a year. Brooks in 85 and 86 had a lot receiving yards on those receptions though.

I guess I am just higher on Dillon than most. In thinking he probably would have been a hall of famer if he played for anyone else than the Bengals during that time period. His first year with the Pats supports that too. That was his last full season before injuries caught up to him.

Hey futurecoach. No problem!!! Everyone has a opinion.Nothing wrong with some good debate. I think we would have done alright with either guy! How about a backfield of Dillon at tailback, and Brooks working out of the slot? That would have been interesting!!!

One other observation,Ickey Woods is getting way to much run as a top running back in franchise history. Sorry,one great season doesn't get it done!!! I love the guy,but no way is he tied with James Brooks,and ahead of Pete,Essex,and Rudi Johnson. I'll take Boobie Clark,and Cedric Benson ahead of him also. Sorry he got hurt,but injuries happen.