Lexington teams vs. Louisville teams

LexDogs33

Originally posted by ram95

...The Louisville and Lexington schools are not even, again read my previous post on number of state titles. Even if you do take Trinity and St. X out (which you can't do since they are LOUISVILLE SCHOOLS and a part of the landscape here in Louisville during our regular seasons as well as the playoffs). Louisville Public Schools lead 4-1 in titles over Lexington schools. Lexington leads 9 to 8 in trips to the final game which seems pretty even until you realize that had St.X or Trinity not been in the State Championship there would probably have been a Louisville Public school or possible another Lexington School in their place so that number is really not a realible number in the "Take out Trinity & St.X" senerio.

Now who said this? That would be you, RAM95...

My post disputed your notion that even if you take out the big 3, the rest of Louisville is even with Lexington. I did it with real games played as opposed to your assumption that, if the big 3 weren't there, another Louisville school would ahve been. I am fairly certain that in 1999 Hopkinsville would have been in the finals without St X. Are you also going to assume away the west and south? Sounds like you are (in typical Louisville fashion).

Are you now claiming that my listing of real games played is being hypothetical while your claim that if the big 3 weren't there that another Louisville school would ahve been is not? And it is my guess that even in Louisville the worst teams do not make the playoffs. Real games played are pointless but your leaps are not. Right....

I am certainly convinced that the original premise of this thread is wrong, especially this year, probably the last three years. The teams that I have seen in Lexington are not in a position to contend and it is sheer bravado to think otherwise, although I do not blame any player for wanting to believe it. Since my football playing son has graduated, I have tried to be impartial. That is why I stuck to real scores of games played. Statements like "If Eastern Manual or Ballard this year played your bottom three they would wipe the floor with them" is just that. It has no basis in fact.

Anything I say is pointless? What an ingenious way to win an argument: victory by proclamation. Again, you are proing that logic is not your strong suit.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will premise my final post on this topic by saying

1) 21-1 is about the best case for domination between two regions in any sport I can think off, during a certain time span.

2) Hypothetical talk is what happens when someone is losing an argument. ie- well that may be true, but hypothetically, if you take this out of the equation, then you arrive at this conclusion. This is not a discussion on the possibilites for cloning; we deal with hard facts.

With that being said, I am thoroughly impressed with Lexington's record against Louisville schools in the past few years. The facts show Lexington teams have done well against their Louisville counterparts.

However, the facts also show the Lexington teams do not win the big game (singular); that of the Kentucky 4A State Championship. Name another sport that does not base success on glittering rings of gold. If we were talking basketball, Lexington would have a great case. The past two state championships have returned to Lex-vegas, and Louisville has not gotten the job done. BUT, this is the football forum. Regular season victories are not what I remember, and I would venture to guess that the majority of American sports fans recall who won the final game; not who wins game 4 out of 12 in the regular season.

To quote a famous Kentucky Wildcat, "It don't mean a thing if you aint got that ring." D. Anderson.

I would also like to officially apologize for my earlier post citing 1998 as the last time Lexington lost in the state championship game. The distinguished gentleman from Lexington was quite correct in asserting that a Louisville team did indeed add its 21st title, while Lexington came close to increasing its total to 2 in 1999.

No team from lexington could beat Male this year........ the Lexington teams have not been a serious threat in the past several years to louisville teams.. the only team to have big victory over a Louisville team lately was lex cath last year.. cleary the best team from lexington is lex cath and they got crushed by trinity and lost a too male. None of the city school teams could hang with catholic therefore how can they say they can hang w/ and deserve respect from the louisville teams.. if i was from louisville i would be offended to be compared to the 4a schools from lex.

Originally posted by ram95

Correct me if I am wrong, and I am sure you will. But I believe 1980 to 1985 some Lexington teams were on either either side of the bracket. I was trying to find some proof to back this up, but to be honest I could not. But it still doesn't matter!

Not arguing how good Louisville schools are. The best Louisville schools are better than the best Lexington schools this year and in most years as proven by the state finals.:(

I just want to throw in a few facts that should be considered in the overall picture. Basically the comparison isn't really fair except maybe comparing the best 2 or 3 teams in each city.

Here's some facts about Lexington: With the exception of a 2 or 4 year period (2 year contracts for football), Lexington schools have always been in the same district (since 1975....maybe even before). From 1975 until 1991, there were only 4 football schools in Lexington.....all in the same district. Dunbar opened in 1991 (I think), Lex. Cath started football in 1992 (5 game schedule), and Lexington Christian started football in 2000 or 2001. Sticking with the 4A football comparison.....Lexington has 5 teams that are all in the same district. Only one Lexington school can come out of that region. With the exception of the 2 or 4 year period when KHSAA split the Lex. schools into separate districts so the Lex. schools wouldn't knock each other off, Lex. schools could not have met in the finals.

I'm not tooting the horn for Lexington supremacy. I just wanted to supply some facts that were not given.

Facts about Louisville schools (I may need some help here). There are approximately 13, 4A schools (to Lexington's 5). Louisville schools can play each other in the finals (Trinity vs. St. X??). Louisville schools have a better record in the finals against Lexington schools! Louisville's best is better than Lexington's best!

Why is Louisville stronger? I'm from Lex. My guess is youth leagues and middle school teams. The number of youth league teams in Lexington (example....10 to 12 year olds) is not good. I'm guessing there are less than 10 teams in the city??? When I was growing up, there was 8 teams at Shillito Park and 10 at Southland Park (this was before soccer was an option.. 25 years ago), so there was probably about 40-50 teams in the city. Then and now the Fayette Co. junior high/middle school league was a joke! They only play about 6 games and that's it! I'm sure Louisville has it better (I hope). Until the middle school league in Fayette Co. is better, I don't see how Lex. can keep up with Louisville on a regular basis.

I agree with Run and Hit. The best in Louisville is almost always better than the best in Lexington, I'd say because of the ability to draw the best players to a few schools. The Lexington feeder programs in football are poor, especially the public middle school programs.

If Lex Cath reaches 4A size, they will start doing what their basketall program has done: draw more of the best players. I believe that three players on their last championship team were from the Bryan Station district (which is one of many reasons why that basketball program was so poor that they refused a challenge to play a pick up team from a PE class). Some folks will be happy when that happens since many already consider them the only real football power in the city and they would then have the players to compete. I worry about the Atherton/Southern'ing of the rest of the Fayette County public schools. High School sports is a rallying point of community support (whether it should be or not) and the public schools will be poorer if that community support is less. I really don't see the public schools getting better financial support from the city for a long time.

Originally posted by meadehardhitter

You are going to win or lose a football game. But when it comes to play-off time you hear who is better. Well everyone always thinks a louisville team is better. Because they have had a tradition. Well Meade County broke St. X's tradition last year. That was the first time since 1988 they had been put out in the first round. there has been teh question can trinity can be beaten. Yes they can be beat you just have to have the heart to do it. And put all you have into the game before that. and then the next and the next. YOU CAN'T DROP THE BALL. never let up!!!! So why worry if lexington is better. It makes no sense. Worry about who you face first in the playoffs and look at who you wanna play in the final round to prove you can win!!!!:ylsuper:

First, don't be satisfied with knocking off a ranked team in the first round. Meade was so high about knocking off x, they forgot to show up to play Male. Next, win a few championships and people will take you seriously. With all due respect to your "just have to have a heart" comment. Thats an insult to every team that has been defeated by a better team. Are you saying that all the teams that Trinity has defeated over the past year don't have heart? Was last year's loss to Male just a matter of "heart"?

Conner isn't a Louisville school it is in Northern Kentucky. I think it is wrong to say Lexington school can't compete but as far as what city has the better high school football it would have to be Louisville. I agree with the post earlier that Trinity is the best team in the state by far and probably (take away Trinity at the top and J-town at the bottom) has the most competitve district in the state. On any given night any of those other teams Eastern, Ballard, Oldham, Shelby, can beat the other. This is evidenced by the incredibly close scores each of these teams have posted against one another this season. This district alone features three of the top ranked teams in the state and could compete with any of the top teams in Lexington.

YOu can find it funny all you want, but you missed the entire point of the post. And we didn't just beat St. X last year in the play-offs so there for don't get me wrong but keep up w/the games when you comment on them. And you missed the part after that w/dropping the ball dropping the ball is giving up. So yes the last years loss was do to both dropping the ball and a lack of having the heart for the title. NOt the heart as in they don't have a heart like I said LSU you missed the entire point maybe you'll understand now.