Next Up Recruits 2018 Player Rankings

Maybe that is how many kids went to the camp???? LOL

Nextup does have camps like many of the others, but no question their staff hits gyms during the HS season and Spring/Summer all the time. I have seen them as far away as Dallas this Spring, so they put the work in to evaluate.

Nextup does have camps like many of the others, but no question their staff hits gyms during the HS season and Spring/Summer all the time. I have seen them as far away as Dallas this Spring, so they put the work in to evaluate.

They do put in work but their focus has always been on the top 10-15 people of the class and that's it. I think they would better serve themselves to rank the top 20-25 and that's it. This doesn't have be a participation trophy where everyone gets a ranking. Once these rankings get past the top 20-25 people then it is basically kids who they have heard of that have attended their camps. And to be fair that isn't just Next Up and their rankings that is everyone who has top 30, top 50, top 100 rankings. Just name the top 20-25 and that's it. They are normally your more accurate rankings.

They do put in work but their focus has always been on the top 10-15 people of the class and that's it. I think they would better serve themselves to rank the top 20-25 and that's it. This doesn't have be a participation trophy where everyone gets a ranking. Once these rankings get past the top 20-25 people then it is basically kids who they have heard of that have attended their camps. And to be fair that isn't just Next Up and their rankings that is everyone who has top 30, top 50, top 100 rankings. Just name the top 20-25 and that's it. They are normally your more accurate rankings.

Funny you mention only focusing on the top 25 or so. Go to the 2017 class and see which kids have committed to D1 or D2 teams on the list.

They went to Dallas solely to evaluate KY and WV kids? Or were they there because they were already coaching or affiliated with a team?

Funny you mention only focusing on the top 25 or so. Go to the 2017 class and see which kids have committed to D1 or D2 teams on the list.

I need a link. I can't find it anywhere. Found 2018-2021 but not 2017. Did you use the BGP search engine? I haven't tried that yet.

I think they have some folks who are affiliated with teams(HS and AAU) and others who just cover HS aged basketball players.

Thanks, hey do you know if Will is gonna play bball this year. I know he blew up on the gridiron in the offseason.

Thanks, hey do you know if Will is gonna play bball this year. I know he blew up on the gridiron in the offseason.

Yessir he will be playing and he has blown up big time. And to think at one time he was a straight basketball kid that had to be coaxed into playing football. It's worked out as well as it could have for him. We're all happy for him. Great kid from a great family.

Those boys are a tight knit group and they have big plans this year. I've heard one or two may not be back but Big Willie Style is going to play for sure. Tough and fun schedule this year as well. I'm looking forward to the season.

From what I have seen and know about how their Spring ball has went I provided a few comments on each of the Top 10.....Overall the best players usually are picked up by the best shoe sponsored teams to play in front of college coaches. Those program's sustainability is dependent on bringing the highest recruitable players into their program in addition to winning, so be chosen to be on those teams removes the politics out rankings. Since the Travelers are no longer, the only KY based programs are Adidas out of the big 3 (NIKE, Adidas, & UA). Each of these 10 played for Gold Division teams in the Adidas Gauntlet series....Indiana Elite, Louisville Magic, & 22 Vision.

1- CJ Fredrick- Played for Indiana Elite who finished 2-6 in the 17U Gauntlet Series. I believe the IN Elite team qualified for the July Adidas Gauntlet Series Finals in SC with a win in a Regional Qualifier this past weekend though. CJ led his team in minutes and showed the college coaches attending that he makes shots with a great feel for the game. I feel he solidified his top ranking and clearly he is a Power 5 shooting guard prospect. He shot a higher 3 point % hitting over 50% from beyond the arc than his overall shooting %. I disagree with those who project him as a PG though, his assist to turnover ratio is just not high enough and he clearly is too good of a shooting guard to reject that label. His passing is outstanding and his BB IQ sets him apart.

2- Christian Lorng- Was starting Center on Louisville Magic team that was outstanding on the Adidas Gold Gauntlet. He was 2nd leading scorer and leading rebounder. His is a powerful big man right at 6'10" with very good instincts for somebody who likely did not play basketball until he was older. While he plays at Wesley Christian, for comparison KY High School BB just does not see powerful & athletic big men like this very often which is why he is being recruited by the likes of Power 5 conference schools.

3- Trevon Faulkner- Trevon played alongside Romeo Langford for 22 Vision and looked very comfortable in logging the 2nd most minutes behind Romeo. Despite the team having mixed results going 4-4 with the #3 ranked prospect in the country as the team foundation, Trevon was outstanding in many areas. He usually guarded the other team's best player, including Zion Williamson when those teams squared off. He also led the team in rebounding, assists, steals, and FT % while being 2nd in scoring behind Romeo. He did not shoot as well as he is capable from the 3 point line and his turnovers were a bit high, but he clearly will have many more scholarship offers in July when he is evaluated again. NKU absolutely loves him and he will become a top target for them leading into signing period.

4- Steven Fitzgerald- Played more minutes than any other Louisville Magic player and was a key reason why they finished so well. Even though he did not shoot as well as he is capable this Spring, it is clear he is a very good shooting wing who also goes extremely hard to the hole. He is very strong and quick enough to play on the wing for many college D1 programs. What Steven does well is shoot, rebound & pass the ball. He is a complete player that competes with high BB IQ to go along with his other intangibles.

5- Jake Walter- Jake continues to improve and that is key with big men. He started for Indiana Elite and led them in rebounding. He still does not look to score as much as he should, but he is a good passing big man. When the light bulb comes on and he begins to play with an edge of nastiness, look out. Playing aggressive is what he lacks to take his game to another level, but he is young so that could still come. Next levels of basketball recruit and draft on potential more than production. Jake has a ton of potential and will be a highly recruited young player. He is a prototype big man whose body continues to improve. College programs need players his size and he will be in demand as long as he continues to get better which he will.

6- Andrew Taylor- Andrew started the Spring playing alongside Romeo with 22 Vision, but ended the Spring with rival Adidas Gold program, Louisville Magic. In his lone tournament with the Magic he hit 9 3's in a single game down in Atlanta @ the Bob Gibbons Invitational. Andrew continued to get more D1 college offers playing with 22 Vision and when he finishes July with the Magic it will not surprise me to see him land a Power 5 offer. He is the prototype Combo Guard because he is equally effective at the point creating for himself or others as he is off the ball as a spot up shooter. Assist to Turnover ratio was not great with 22 Vision and he did not shoot as well as he is capable. He was a solid performer, but that team makeup just did not seem to fit him as well as what I expect the fit to be with the Magic.

7- Jayden Scrubb- Last summer with the Magic and this past HS basketball season with Trinity were breakout seasons for the relatively unknown talent prior to then. His size is ideal for a perimeter wing player and his athletic qualities are unmatched in the state. His combination of skill, speed, power, and athleticism qualifies him on potential alone as a Power 5 prospect. Oddly he started out the live periods in April with Hoop Dreams on the Silver circuit despite playing with the Magic last season. He returned to the Magic in May helping them to outstanding performances in the very competitive Run N Slam & Bob Gibbons which they won in Atlanta. He was a key player in both.

8-Mickey Pearson- Mickey also played on the Gold Adidas circuit with 22 Vision. He was down their list with 7th in playing minutes on a team that was wing heavy. He did not shoot his 3's as efficient as he is capable and did not get to the line as I feel he can. Regardless, he is a solid wing/stretch big forward that landed a offer from Ball State with what I would suspect will be more offers come July. I personally feel the key for Mickey is embracing more of a stretch 4 role because he can be unique in that role. He is a very capable 3 point shooter at 6'7", but many kids that size can shoot. I would like to see him finish in the paint and go to the line more with a focus on being a strong rebounder. Doing so will highlight his versatility as both a 3 or a Stretch 4. By polishing his game inside the paint I see his stock moving way up.

9-Adam Kunkel- Had a solid Spring with 22 Vision as the 3rd leading scorer and 4th in minutes. What impressed me was his passing and a very good assist to turnover ratio. I believe he clearly showed he can play point if called upon and fits the mold of the very desirable combo guard at the next level. Like Trevon, he does many things well and plays very good alongside other good players. He doesn't need to be the best player on his team to be valuable. No doubt going to play basketball for free at a D1 school when he is finished at Cooper.

10-Anthony Wales- Already a D1 commit, Wales showed why he is highly regarded by his future coaching staff at Samford, he is a winner. Playing a very competitive HS schedule at Fern Creek, and now playing with the Louisville Magic in the Gold Adidas division, his teams have went 47-4 with Wales as the starting PG. Obviously he has played with talented players, but when he runs the team he makes those on his team better which is his best attribute. With the Magic he was 2nd in minutes behind Fitzgerald and was at or near the top of the team in points, assists, steals, FT%, FG%, & 3 PT %, but had the fewest turnovers on the team. His assist to turnover ratio was 3-1. Unfortunately, he broke a bone in his foot at the Run N Slam so he will be sidelined the rest of the summer.

Nextup really can't be criticized with their Top 10, not too many players ranked behind these 10 have higher college prospects or Spring performances that would merit bumping any of these out. It gets tougher getting the 15-30 spots right though.

From what I have seen and know about how their Spring ball has went I provided a few comments on each of the Top 10.....Overall the best players usually are picked up by the best shoe sponsored teams to play in front of college coaches. Those program's sustainability is dependent on bringing the highest recruitable players into their program in addition to winning, so be chosen to be on those teams removes the politics out rankings. Since the Travelers are no longer, the only KY based programs are Adidas out of the big 3 (NIKE, Adidas, & UA). Each of these 10 played for Gold Division teams in the Adidas Gauntlet series....Indiana Elite, Louisville Magic, & 22 Vision.

1- CJ Fredrick- Played for Indiana Elite who finished 2-6 in the 17U Gauntlet Series. I believe the IN Elite team qualified for the July Adidas Gauntlet Series Finals in SC with a win in a Regional Qualifier this past weekend though. CJ led his team in minutes and showed the college coaches attending that he makes shots with a great feel for the game. I feel he solidified his top ranking and clearly he is a Power 5 shooting guard prospect. He shot a higher 3 point % hitting over 50% from beyond the arc than his overall shooting %. I disagree with those who project him as a PG though, his assist to turnover ratio is just not high enough and he clearly is too good of a shooting guard to reject that label. His passing is outstanding and his BB IQ sets him apart.

2- Christian Lorng- Was starting Center on Louisville Magic team that was outstanding on the Adidas Gold Gauntlet. He was 2nd leading scorer and leading rebounder. His is a powerful big man right at 6'10" with very good instincts for somebody who likely did not play basketball until he was older. While he plays at Wesley Christian, for comparison KY High School BB just does not see powerful & athletic big men like this very often which is why he is being recruited by the likes of Power 5 conference schools.

3- Trevon Faulkner- Trevon played alongside Romeo Langford for 22 Vision and looked very comfortable in logging the 2nd most minutes behind Romeo. Despite the team having mixed results going 4-4 with the #3 ranked prospect in the country as the team foundation, Trevon was outstanding in many areas. He usually guarded the other team's best player, including Zion Williamson when those teams squared off. He also led the team in rebounding, assists, steals, and FT % while being 2nd in scoring behind Romeo. He did not shoot as well as he is capable from the 3 point line and his turnovers were a bit high, but he clearly will have many more scholarship offers in July when he is evaluated again. NKU absolutely loves him and he will become a top target for them leading into signing period.

4- Steven Fitzgerald- Played more minutes than any other Louisville Magic player and was a key reason why they finished so well. Even though he did not shoot as well as he is capable this Spring, it is clear he is a very good shooting wing who also goes extremely hard to the hole. He is very strong and quick enough to play on the wing for many college D1 programs. What Steven does well is shoot, rebound & pass the ball. He is a complete player that competes with high BB IQ to go along with his other intangibles.

5- Jake Walter- Jake continues to improve and that is key with big men. He started for Indiana Elite and led them in rebounding. He still does not look to score as much as he should, but he is a good passing big man. When the light bulb comes on and he begins to play with an edge of nastiness, look out. Playing aggressive is what he lacks to take his game to another level, but he is young so that could still come. Next levels of basketball recruit and draft on potential more than production. Jake has a ton of potential and will be a highly recruited young player. He is a prototype big man whose body continues to improve. College programs need players his size and he will be in demand as long as he continues to get better which he will.

6- Andrew Taylor- Andrew started the Spring playing alongside Romeo with 22 Vision, but ended the Spring with rival Adidas Gold program, Louisville Magic. In his lone tournament with the Magic he hit 9 3's in a single game down in Atlanta @ the Bob Gibbons Invitational. Andrew continued to get more D1 college offers playing with 22 Vision and when he finishes July with the Magic it will not surprise me to see him land a Power 5 offer. He is the prototype Combo Guard because he is equally effective at the point creating for himself or others as he is off the ball as a spot up shooter. Assist to Turnover ratio was not great with 22 Vision and he did not shoot as well as he is capable. He was a solid performer, but that team makeup just did not seem to fit him as well as what I expect the fit to be with the Magic.

7- Jayden Scrubb- Last summer with the Magic and this past HS basketball season with Trinity were breakout seasons for the relatively unknown talent prior to then. His size is ideal for a perimeter wing player and his athletic qualities are unmatched in the state. His combination of skill, speed, power, and athleticism qualifies him on potential alone as a Power 5 prospect. Oddly he started out the live periods in April with Hoop Dreams on the Silver circuit despite playing with the Magic last season. He returned to the Magic in May helping them to outstanding performances in the very competitive Run N Slam & Bob Gibbons which they won in Atlanta. He was a key player in both.

8-Mickey Pearson- Mickey also played on the Gold Adidas circuit with 22 Vision. He was down their list with 7th in playing minutes on a team that was wing heavy. He did not shoot his 3's as efficient as he is capable and did not get to the line as I feel he can. Regardless, he is a solid wing/stretch big forward that landed a offer from Ball State with what I would suspect will be more offers come July. I personally feel the key for Mickey is embracing more of a stretch 4 role because he can be unique in that role. He is a very capable 3 point shooter at 6'7", but many kids that size can shoot. I would like to see him finish in the paint and go to the line more with a focus on being a strong rebounder. Doing so will highlight his versatility as both a 3 or a Stretch 4. By polishing his game inside the paint I see his stock moving way up.

9-Adam Kunkel- Had a solid Spring with 22 Vision as the 3rd leading scorer and 4th in minutes. What impressed me was his passing and a very good assist to turnover ratio. I believe he clearly showed he can play point if called upon and fits the mold of the very desirable combo guard at the next level. Like Trevon, he does many things well and plays very good alongside other good players. He doesn't need to be the best player on his team to be valuable. No doubt going to play basketball for free at a D1 school when he is finished at Cooper.

10-Anthony Wales- Already a D1 commit, Wales showed why he is highly regarded by his future coaching staff at Samford, he is a winner. Playing a very competitive HS schedule at Fern Creek, and now playing with the Louisville Magic in the Gold Adidas division, his teams have went 47-4 with Wales as the starting PG. Obviously he has played with talented players, but when he runs the team he makes those on his team better which is his best attribute. With the Magic he was 2nd in minutes behind Fitzgerald and was at or near the top of the team in points, assists, steals, FT%, FG%, & 3 PT %, but had the fewest turnovers on the team. His assist to turnover ratio was 3-1. Unfortunately, he broke a bone in his foot at the Run N Slam so he will be sidelined the rest of the summer.

Nextup really can't be criticized with their Top 10, not too many players ranked behind these 10 have higher college prospects or Spring performances that would merit bumping any of these out. It gets tougher getting the 15-30 spots right though.

Great job with your evaluations of each of these players coachlee!!!

Great write up Coach. I can only speak for the player that I know and follow Mickey Pearson. Mickey had a slow start this year with 22 vision for a couple of reasons. The team is wing heavy but more so due to the proverbial stretch 4 moniker that seems to be following him. His minutes declined because he looked to be playing a role on the team not suitable to his skill set. 22 vision runs alot of 3 out 2 in to get screens for Langford. He took a gamble with 22 vision and hasn't quite worked out yet. Mickey is unique in the fact thst he can shoot and can handle the ball adequately enough to play the 3. The biggest problem he has is everyone loves him at this new flavor of the month "stretch 4" EXCEPT THE SCHOOLS RECRUITING HIM. so he could embrace the stretch 4 role and move up in the next up recruits ranking....or he can continue to work on improving his skill set to get the scholarships that he desires. He should be able to get more minutes with Taylor leaving 22 vision. I think if hoop drrams would have stayed on the gold bracket he would be able to showcase what he can do. They had groomed him for 2 years to play the 3. But HD got bumped to silver and so on and so on.