KY AAU high school state tourny

It was a little frustrating down there this weekend if you had to play on one of the courts where they were "evaluating" or "training" refs (or whatever they wanted to call it). We had the unfortunate pleasure of playing 2 games with these refs and it was horrible. They used a 3 person crew and "over-officiated" everything. They called a billion touch fouls away from the basket on plays where most of us would say the defender was in good position and giving ground. Then when the ball went down low, it was a slugfest and no calls were made. We had 2 other games that were officiated well with just a regular 2 person crew (that wasn't in training). Those games were well officiated with consistent calls across the board.

It's a shame that a State AAU Tournament was used to do this. Plenty of other opportunities down there to get these officials experience and evaluate them.

Just one example of how bad it was: An offensive player was dribbling down the court. A defensive player came over and tipped the ball, causing it to hit the offensive player's leg and bounce to another player on the offensive team. One of the "training" officials called it a kicked ball on the offensive player and gave the ball to the defensive team. I had never seen an offensive player called for an unintentional kicked ball before so I figured the call was wrong when it was made but just to make sure, after the game I talked to the next set of officials and asked them about it and they said there was "no defense" for that call.

It was a little frustrating down there this weekend if you had to play on one of the courts where they were "evaluating" or "training" refs (or whatever they wanted to call it). We had the unfortunate pleasure of playing 2 games with these refs and it was horrible. They used a 3 person crew and "over-officiated" everything. They called a billion touch fouls away from the basket on plays where most of us would say the defender was in good position and giving ground. Then when the ball went down low, it was a slugfest and no calls were made. We had 2 other games that were officiated well with just a regular 2 person crew (that wasn't in training). Those games were well officiated with consistent calls across the board.

It's a shame that a State AAU Tournament was used to do this. Plenty of other opportunities down there to get these officials experience and evaluate them.

Just one example of how bad it was: An offensive player was dribbling down the court. A defensive player came over and tipped the ball, causing it to hit the offensive player's leg and bounce to another player on the offensive team. One of the "training" officials called it a kicked ball on the offensive player and gave the ball to the defensive team. I had never seen an offensive player called for an unintentional kicked ball before so I figured the call was wrong when it was made but just to make sure, after the game I talked to the next set of officials and asked them about it and they said there was "no defense" for that call.

I completely agree with you! Our team played one game with these "evaluation " officials and it was horrible! I mean we all know AAU is to showcase players and not watch them sit because of foul trouble. There was a reason the tournament was so far behind schedule and it was mostly due to these "evaluation " officials. In the one game our team played in, it was overly officiated and I hate to say it was so one sided but our team was called for 43 fouls to only 10 for the other team! And no, we weren't just a jump shotting team, we drive as well! The other problem I saw at KBA was the amount of abuse or just downright disregard toward the officials by coaches and the officials took it! Really need to clean it up a bit. Not a fan of the tournament at all. Good teams and players but atmosphere was something to be desired.

43 to 10. Wow. We played 6 games this weekend there and didn't have anything like that. Few calls I disagreed with but overall I was pleased with the refs. Was called more like high school games and not Street ball That aau has become to get the games over in the allotted time.

43 fouls called against your team? Is that a typo? How many players do you carry and how many fouled out? That had to be an extraordinary number of foul shots, too, at least 60, didn't it?

Wow! I typed that completely wrong....it was 43 foul shots to 10...my fault...long day and it was late when I was typing ....LOL.....it was still bad....man if there were 43 fouls...wow! Oh well, still not a fan of how the officials took soooooo much from coaches, not just in our games (not all) but other games I watched too!