Should President Trump sign an Executive Order to avoid another United tragedy?

Let's toss out some hypotheticals then...

Say your grandmother falls, breaks her hip and has to have surgery. But, she's 89 and doctors aren't sure she'll survive it. You're 1500 miles away, but can get a direct flight that will get you in town before surgery starts. You okay being bumped?

Or say your son, who's in the Marines, gets emergency orders for him to be deployed to Syria. He leaves in the next 24 hours. You're on vacation in Colorado, but can catch a flight in before he leaves. You still okay being bumped?

I'm going to say the majority of people are going to say that no amount of money is worth it...and that should be their priority. And if you say no, those situations should be allowed, then what I'm hearing is that some people's reason for wanting to stay on the flight is more important that others. But, for someone who wants to get back in time for their son's Little League game the next day, that may be the most important thing for them...and who are we to argue?

Maybe the other three people who got up and left didn't have anything that important for them to contest it. This guy obviously felt he did.

You can throw out any number of hypotheticals that you want. The fact remains, IMO, the guy is the one who escalated the situation. Not United. Not the cops. The fact that United put its passengers in this position is messed up, but a completely separate debate.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can throw out any number of hypotheticals that you want. The fact remains, IMO, the guy is the one who escalated the situation. Not United. Not the cops. The fact that United put its passengers in this position is messed up, but a completely separate debate.

You are so wrong.

United came to him and said leave or else. United escalated to maximum immediately.

Let's toss out some hypotheticals then...

Say your grandmother falls, breaks her hip and has to have surgery. But, she's 89 and doctors aren't sure she'll survive it. You're 1500 miles away, but can get a direct flight that will get you in town before surgery starts. You okay being bumped?

Or say your son, who's in the Marines, gets emergency orders for him to be deployed to Syria. He leaves in the next 24 hours. You're on vacation in Colorado, but can catch a flight in before he leaves. You still okay being bumped?

I'm going to say the majority of people are going to say that no amount of money is worth it...and that should be their priority. And if you say no, those situations should be allowed, then what I'm hearing is that some people's reason for wanting to stay on the flight is more important that others. But, for someone who wants to get back in time for their son's Little League game the next day, that may be the most important thing for them...and who are we to argue?

Maybe the other three people who got up and left didn't have anything that important for them to contest it. This guy obviously felt he did.

Excellent Post.

This is America, anyone's reasons for not wanting to get off a flight are just as good as the next guy/gal.

Again, this is United being CHEAP and that Corporate Greed is getting an assist from Government Muscle so that the Corporations can make more money.

So United walked directly up to him and the first thing they said was "Get up or we're calling the cops."?

As someone very experienced in these types of matters I can tell you that is exactly how it happens. In a very very nice way you are asked to comply. Eventually you are told to comply. Finally you are shown how to comply. We call that, ask them, tell them, show them. That is simple, straightforward law enforcement.

Think about it Deuce, for whatever reason United chose this guy. We all know come hell or high water that guy was going to be removed from the plane so matter how the exchange started United was saying you are leaving the plane and the guy was saying I would rather go to jail than leave the plane.

And did he go to jail?

As someone very experienced in these types of matters I can tell you that is exactly how it happens. In a very very nice way you are asked to comply. Eventually you are told to comply. Finally you are shown how to comply. We call that, ask them, tell them, show them. That is simple, straightforward law enforcement.

Think about it Deuce, for whatever reason United chose this guy. We all know come hell or high water that guy was going to be removed from the plane so matter how the exchange started United was saying you are leaving the plane and the guy was saying I would rather go to jail than leave the plane.

And did he go to jail?

My point is was he given an opportunity to leave the plane? Even by your example he would have had several. He chose to be non-compliant, he escalated the situation.

My point is was he given an opportunity to leave the plane? Even by your example he would have had several. He chose to be non-compliant, he escalated the situation.

Did he use force against them?

They escalated to forced compulsion.

Exactly! They didn't. Witness say no one from United laid a hand on him.

Which means exactly nothing.

Whether it was someone from United, some security officer, or the police, they used force at the direction/request of United.

That comes down to if it was 100% voluntary or coerced in any way, shape or form?

Think about it, we all saw the penalty for refusal which means you DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE which means the Airline can offer as little as they want or do whatever they want because YOU DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE.

Frankly, who cares about a voucher, that would be nearly useless to me, and I am sure to many others.

I paid cash to get on the plane and if you want my seat you should have to pay me more cash to get off the plane.

You must be doing this on purpose. You paid cash for a ticket. With that ticket came stipulations. You agreed to them. One is the airline can take that seat. Pretty cut and dry.

You must be doing this on purpose. You paid cash for a ticket. With that ticket came stipulations. You agreed to them. One is the airline can take that seat. Pretty cut and dry.

It is Corporate Abuse plain and simple.