So I'm hearing rumors that the powers that be are cracking down on 7on7?

Jo-Jo13

AAU 7v7 will ruin football so good.

7v7 is not football.

Not making a statement one way or another personally

I sat in the Orlando terminal Sunday with a coach from a FCS University in the Mid-Atlantic and one of his recruiters and took part in a conversation about 7 on 7 (they had been scouting a tournament).

Off the record (which is why I am not giving the school) he told me that when it comes to skill players and specifically D-Backs and WR's they are almost exclusively focusing their Junior recruitment on evaluating 7 on 7's.

His exact quote on 7 on 7, "I view it the exact same for WR's and DB's as College Basketball coaches view AAU for Guards and Wings".

They said they are much more critical of film review and game performance when it comes to O and D Linemen, Linebackers, RB's, and QB's... but he said that probably 80% or more of their DB and WR evaluations are done solely from those 7 on 7 tournaments.

Just thought this was very interesting.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His exact quote on 7 on 7, "I view it the exact same for WR's and DB's as College Basketball coaches view AAU for Guards and Wings".

but he said that probably 80% or more of their DB and WR evaluations are done solely from those 7 on 7 tournaments.

ATL, I think it is a very interesting point of view as well.

If you think about it the 7 v 7s are all pitch and catch vs the DB every play. I think that repetition allows a much more focused view for the coaches as the WR/DB are ON every play. In a traditional game they may only be ON for 10 to 50% of the time depending on the type of offense run in a game.

I admit I had a pretty negative view of 7 v 7, but that was before I actually went to one (which is unfair really). After going to one and viewing them, teams that participate in them clearly have an advantage IMO just from a chemistry factor between QB/WR and DB work alone.

What percentage of today's teams would you say participates in 7 v 7 events?

Not making a statement one way or another personally

I sat in the Orlando terminal Sunday with a coach from a FCS University in the Mid-Atlantic and one of his recruiters and took part in a conversation about 7 on 7 (they had been scouting a tournament).

Off the record (which is why I am not giving the school) he told me that when it comes to skill players and specifically D-Backs and WR's they are almost exclusively focusing their Junior recruitment on evaluating 7 on 7's.

They said they are much more critical of film review and game performance when it comes to O and D Linemen, Linebackers, RB's, and QB's... but he said that probably 80% or more of their DB and WR evaluations are done solely from those 7 on 7 tournaments.

If this is true, and I'm not saying it isn't, then lets just bag HS sports all together and go only with AAU. I guess we could have AAU lineman tournaments, or AAU post player leagues.

ATL, I think it is a very interesting point of view as well.

If you think about it the 7 v 7s are all pitch and catch vs the DB every play. I think that repetition allows a much more focused view for the coaches as the WR/DB are ON every play. In a traditional game they may only be ON for 10 to 50% of the time depending on the type of offense run in a game.

I admit I had a pretty negative view of 7 v 7, but that was before I actually went to one (which is unfair really). After going to one and viewing them, teams that participate in them clearly have an advantage IMO just from a chemistry factor between QB/WR and DB work alone.

What percentage of today's teams would you say participates in 7 v 7 events?

Kentucky? I would say probably 80% or greater participate in 7 on 7 in some capacity. Heck even Belfry will do some 7 on 7.

With that said, I would say probably less than 25% participate in 7 on 7 to the extent that you see the elite talent producing state's like Florida, Georgia, Cali, Texas, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc.

Most KY schools are playing 7 on 7 because that's what they are allowed to play and 7 on 7 reps are better than no reps. In Georgia and Florida 7 on 7 is almost like their pre-season. I remember reading the book "Muck City" (highly reccomend BTW) and they elude to the significance of these 7 on 7 tourney's and that book was from a season 5 or 6 years ago now.

it still ticks me off that we let folks take away our 7 on 7 in June.. just plain silly. It's about chemistry and getting your passing philosophy in early. It shows which kids can competing and getting in football shape. Our kids use to get excited about going to Male's passing tournament and going against some of the best team's in the state. It was the highlite of the summer for them. We found which kids would step up and which kids would fold their tents. July was about getting your running game in and play action passing game. After the first week of July to me is to late for 7 on 7's. My focus is team not 7 on 7. I guess it is what it is..

it still ticks me off that we let folks take away our 7 on 7 in June.. just plain silly. It's about chemistry and getting your passing philosophy in early. It shows which kids can competing and getting in football shape. Our kids use to get excited about going to Male's passing tournament and going against some of the best team's in the state. It was the highlite of the summer for them. We found which kids would step up and which kids would fold their tents. July was about getting your running game in and play action passing game. After the first week of July to me is to late for 7 on 7's. My focus is team not 7 on 7. I guess it is what it is..

Don't want to be in the way of AAU basketball! Or traveling Baseball!