Cooper 51 Covington Catholic 38 (9th Region Championship)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CCH's depth was hurting as some of those guys are out. There is a reason a Frosh is the 1st guy off the bench. Doesn't take away from the victory. Great win for the school.

Lack of depth did not hurt CovCath. It was Coopers stifling defense that made the difference.

With Covcath losing in the finals again. It just makes the run Holmes had in the 2000s the much more impressive imo. As we have seen with Covcath the last 5 years they have been the most talented or 2nd most talented each year, but have only gotten out of the 9th region twice in this 5 year run.

It just shows how difficult it is, and makes what Holmes did even more impressive.

Hopefully Cooper can follow what Holmes and Covcath have done recently, and bring back another state title to the 9th region!

Go Jags!

Lack of depth did not hurt CovCath. It was Coopers stifling defense that made the difference.

Exactly! To play for Coach Sully you MUST play defense..period! That is the makeup of his teams and he will take low scoring games any day of the week. Folks, there's a reason why CCH was held to it's lowest scoring game of the season.

Adam Kunkel was special. He deserves credit for being the best player on the floor.

The 3 by McNeil when it it was 11-1 was an important basket, considering the time and score. Settled the Jags, and (who knew) started a 50-27 run (let that sink in). The 3's by Hendrix and Runion to end the third were daggers.

Congratulations to the Jags. Very poised group. As mentioned by many, they have a chance to go deep.

From the 9th Region Preview thread from all the way back on November 22nd:

Team Rankings

1. Cooper

Last Season: 24-5 (Lost in 9th Region 1st Round)

Coach Tim Sullivan has the most talented team that he has ever had at Cooper. Led by 6'5 Bellarmine commit, Sean McNeil, the Jaguars will be a top 10 team in the state and have arguably the best starting 5 in the region. The Jags backcourt will consist of 6'2 reigning defensive player of the year, Dante Hendrix (Indiana State football commit), 6'0 sharp shooter Chris McNeil (8.4 ppg as a sophomore), and 6'3 junior Adam Kunkel who currently holds Division I offers from Samford and Central Arkansas after a strong summer on the AAU circuit. McNeil and Kunkel return as the Jags two leading scorers after averaging 16.1 and 15.3 ppg, respectively, last season.

What about their lack of depth? That is what most outside of Union are probably thinking but the Jags got a big boost when 6'2 junior Noah Schidler (9 ppg, 4 rpg, 40% 3FG as a sophomore) transferred over from Boone County during the summer. Schidler along with fellow junior, Brayden Runion, give the Jags a solid 7 man rotation out on the perimeter. Runion is the nephew of current Pittsburgh Steelers' safety Mike Mitchell.

In the front court, 6'5 sophomore Blaine Walters should have a breakout year and start to make a name for himself as a long, athletic kid that can stretch the floor with his outside shooting ability as well as strength inside. Daniel Wasser also returns in the front court as a 6'5 wide bodied senior who can bang inside and provide minutes around the rim to keep McNeil from having to play out of position in the post for an entire game.

Cooper is traditionally one of the better defensive teams in the region, but with their firepower offensively, they add a dimension they have lacked on previous teams Tim Sullivan has had. It won't be easy, but if Cooper stays healthy, there is no reason to think they can't get out of the region for the first time in the program's short history. With appearances in the King of the Bluegrass at Fairdale and Traditional Bank Classic at Lexcath, it's clear Coach Sullivan thinks his team can compete with anyone and everyone this season.

Did nobody see Walters miss close shots and free throws when he was fouled? I can promise you the Jags didn't want him on the bench.

Jake's missed gimmes weren't as concerning as some of the others. His moves with his back to the basket were VERY strong, unfortunately some just rolled out. He had quite a few more opportunities, but chose to pass it out........why????? Coaches directive or lost confidence......?????, either way his game has improved this season and I'd be willing to bet he improves greatly over the summer.

Jake's missed gimmes weren't as concerning as some of the others. His moves with his back to the basket were VERY strong, unfortunately some just rolled out. He had quite a few more opportunities, but chose to pass it out........why????? Coaches directive or lost confidence......?????, either way his game has improved this season and I'd be willing to bet he improves greatly over the summer.

I agree. I would think it was lost confidence and not wanting to get fouled. You could be correct though that he could have been told to kick out after the misses. Some of the misses I'm not exactly sure how they didn't go.