Cooper 51 Covington Catholic 38 (9th Region Championship)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So he played with a concussion, thats going to go over well.

That just shouldn't happen. The trainer has sole control as to whether a player can play. If proper channels were followed and he had a concussion he should not have played. Question is at the high school level does a trainer really have the clout to rule a player out?

That just shouldn't happen. The trainer has sole control as to whether a player can play. If proper channels were followed and he had a concussion he should not have played. Question is at the high school level does a trainer really have the clout to rule a player out?

I think Coopers defense gave them more headaches than anything.

Absolutely, they do. There is no questioning that call if a trainer says a young man has a questionable concussion. The athlete is done after that I am guessing here but my bet is Frederick didn't let anyone know he was woozy and it didn't affect him enough that it was noticeable. Slight concussions a lot of times do not show signs other than the headache and all he would have to do is keep quiet about that

Absolutely, they do. There is no questioning that call if a trainer says a young man has a questionable concussion. The athlete is done after that I am guessing here but my bet is Frederick didn't let anyone know he was woozy and it didn't affect him enough that it was noticeable. Slight concussions a lot of times do not show signs other than the headache and all he would have to do is keep quiet about that

Yea my understanding is he didnt even know he sustained one until after the game.

I keep trying to think of when it might have happened. He really was not a factor the entire game so it is hard to think of a time when his effectiveness in the game changed.

Exactly.....No change from the first and second quarter to the third and fourth quarter.

I'm not sure they even considered a concussion at the time. If you aren't thinking concussion then how are you going to diagnose a concussion?

CJ is a great player and one game does not define a college coach's opinion of whether to keep recruiting or begin recruiting. They are going to actually want to watch a game where you are not effective (either injury related or not which is really not material anyway) to see how you react emotionally or what you do in other aspects of the game. He will be watched many times over and I am sure will continue to draw attention as he has been. If an injury caused it or not, the key factor of the victory is Cooper's play. Injuries are part of the game and I do not feel anyone is suggesting that the victory was due to a possible concussion sustained sometime in the game, but that does not change Cooper was the best team that night. Adam Kunkel in his own right established that he too can be a highly recruited guard from NKY.

"One of the few times I have seen CCH out coached. I would have liked to see CVH or Fredrick in the middle of the zone when attacking it 2-1-2 (which CCH rarely did). I think their shooting/passing/attacking ability could have caused problems."

Exactly, I thought the same thing. CCH resorted to being a jump shooting team. Hearing about CJ's concussion helps to explain why he wasn't driving to the basket in the 2nd half. Once I saw the Cooper player drive past the CCH guards for a layup in the 2nd half it reminded me of NewCath last year and I thought, uh oh. Great game to watch. Congrats Cooper.

I think any CCH supporter or non supporter would say they didn't look prepared for the 1-3-1. Coaches can have off nights just like players.

I'd still take Coach R in my corner any day.

Would be curious to know if Cooper played 1-3-1 at any other point during the season.

Did you two also receive an insult laden private message blasting your criticism of coach's performance in the game or was that just me?

Funny, though, because the person who sent it has had no answer for any of the examples that I listed or points that I made in my reply to him.