Cooper 51 Covington Catholic 38 (9th Region Championship)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kunkel was outstanding. Difference in the game but each kid made plays.

Huge 3 by Dante to end the 3rd. Sean with a miss and then a steal for a bucket as well as a huge 3 early after a big run by CCH to start the game.

Big 3s by Runion as well.

Congrats to Sully , the staff, and the boys. They can make a run.

Does that crowd end the debate about where the 9th region tournament should be played?

Maybe. 1 v 2 with a very close regular season game builds neutral interest. If this was Newport v Cooper you don't get 1,000 and the gym looks too empty.

Does that crowd end the debate about where the 9th region tournament should be played?

Yes, but I think people realize this is the venue to use in a very highly populated area. They would have turned 3-4K away anywhere else. Just can't do that. Parking is still the only problem I see. I had to walk a long ways to get to the gym. They will have to up their game with that aspect with the crowds the Bearcats will probably draw.

As mentioned earlier, CCH failed to adapt to the Cooper 1-3-1 zone. Not only did they fail to attack it effectively, they were very hesitant & slow in doing so. Lots of looping passes allowing defenders to make up ground. Other than the 3 treys in a row, they had no answer. Lots of deflections (mostly kicks) and there was no rhythm because of that.

Kunkel was the difference. Walters went out to guard the high screen and Cooper left his guy out there so the entire lane was wide open with no eraser back there.

If you've got a 7'1" guy, he's got to take 20 shots a game from short range or you're not running your offense right. Cooper (and most HS teams) had no answer, but CCH refused to pound it in there. When they did, Walters was much too selfless and kicked it back out too easily. When he did, he did not re-post and demand the ball back.

Interesting game to say the least. Really impressed the the Jags stayed with their game plan after getting down 11-1. The Jags were really jittery the first 5 minutes, then they took control of the game by controlling the tempo.

CVH really kept the Colonels in the game with three straight treys to begin the 3rd. Coach Sullivan called a TO after the 3rd one and I thought he'd get out of the zone. He stayed with it and that was brilliant. They came out on CVH and the rest of the Colonels were off. AJ Mayer also played well especially in the hustle category and offensive rebounds. Other than that CCH showed nothing.

The Jags stayed the course and Kunkel got warmed up after forcing a few things early with the rest of them. The Jags must have deflected and got their hands on dozen passes. They made nothing easy for the Colonels. All the starters payed really well, I mean really well. Although Kunkel was very good, he was not the whole show by a long shot. I felt Runion hit key shots throughout.

This is a team that can win it all. The only thing I see hurting them is they only played 6 kids primarily. I don't know if that is normal, but depth counts in the state tourney. They will be tough to beat.

Congrats!!

Those 3 triples in a row were the only one's he made, and I thought the Colonels would feed off that momentum, but it was not to be.

Runion was 2/3 from distance.

Congrats to the Jags, the better team tonight. Does anybody have the spin move in the lane by Kunkel on video? That was a thing of beauty.

That got a WOW!!!! from me in the update thread.......thing of beauty is an understatement.

Congrats to the Jags. Way to be patient and then take it to them when they wavered.

I have to say I very much liked how the 16th refs let the kids play. I thought it was a physical game but both teams played very clean. The moment S McNeil missed the 10 footer and basically grabbed it out of the CCH kids hands and scored, I just had that feeling.

Good luck at Rupp and I know you will represent the 9th proudly.

He took it from AJ Mayer, and with purpose.

Maybe. 1 v 2 with a very close regular season game builds neutral interest. If this was Newport v Cooper you don't get 1,000 and the gym looks too empty.

I wonder what the lowest attendance has been for a final game at BB&T/NKU? I think it is to the point that there will always be a respectable crowd for the final regardless of who is playing. This matchup certainly was a marquee, crowd drawing pairing but I think a Cooper Newport matchup would still draw 3,000+.

Congrats to the Jags, what a crowd. So happy for coach Sullivan, I agree this team can make a run at state. Don't understand how Walters got the ball down low so much and didn't try to score. Bring back another state champ to the 9th region. Go Jags.