Cooper 51 Covington Catholic 38 (9th Region Championship)

Yes. Cooper did show that zone. They showed flashes late in the season. I am SURE CCH was prepared. That said.... to beat a zone, you typically have to hit shots. That's didn't happen for an extended period of time.

Then the coach needs to adapt and needs to be prepared to beat it in other ways.

Aside from not hitting shots, as I mentioned, they seemed to just typically keep passing the ball around the outside.

Also, CCH was deep, so you need to sub if some guys aren't hitting, even if it's just for a little bit to let them relax and get their heads straight.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then the coach needs to adapt and needs to be prepared to beat it in other ways.

Aside from not hitting shots, as I mentioned, they seemed to just typically keep passing the ball around the outside.

Also, CCH was deep, so you need to sub if some guys aren't hitting, even if it's just for a little bit to let them relax and get their heads straight.

And the ball wasn't moving. CCH had trouble reversing the ball the way Cooper extended the zone out top, especially Ruthsatz. Cooper's size and athleticism on the top of their zone gave CCH fits and bogged down their offense.

And the ball wasn't moving. CCH had trouble reversing the ball the way Cooper extended the zone out top, especially Ruthsatz. Cooper's size and athleticism on the top of their zone gave CCH fits and bogged down their offense.

Exactly. They just kept passing it back and forth with no one moving.

Occasionally, someone might dribble a few feet, only to pick up the ball when met with resistance and pass it to someone else who hadn't moved.

The coach needs to step-in and better direct them with some play calls or at least some ideas on who needs to cut into what lanes and all that.

Exactly. They just kept passing it back and forth with no one moving.

Occasionally, someone might dribble a few feet, only to pick up the ball when met with resistance and pass it to someone else who hadn't moved.

The coach needs to step-in and better direct them with some play calls or at least some ideas on who needs to cut into what lanes and all that.

You sure your not talking about Holy Cross's coach? Lol

He was fairly active in the two minutes of the game. He had a couple of good rebounds and he drove to the basket and was fouled, I think. Then disappeared. If I had to guess, it was very early.

I think it would be hard to pinpoint it to that. Him and the whole Covcath offense slowed down once Cooper went zone. I saw nothing he could have done different other than hit a few of the open threes he had.

Cooper was not going to allow him or really any Covcath player to really drive or get inside on them in that zone.