Bush and the UN

I didn't hear the speech, but from the linked report, he didn't say anything that I would strongly disagree with.

Unfortunately, though, actions speak louder than words ... and perceptions matter. The prevailing view in the Middle East was that the Bush administration flexed its muscle and invaded Iraq to pursue a political agenda, not for national security reasons. And incidents such as Abu Graihb, alleged atrocities (note that I say alleged) and alleged torture (again, I said alleged) of the people we've rounded up don't help our cause.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reports are this week that a poll maintains that around 60 percent of the Iraqi people think it's OK to fire on American soldiers ... that doesn't sound like we've been greeted as liberators.

They might be pleased that Saddam is no longer in power, but they may not be very happy with us, either.

The key word here would be FORCED.
In that event, I would be most happy if the media would cease FORCING their left-wing, anti-American point-of-view upon us and the world.

All we seem to hear about are the attrocities committed by a relative handful of American soldiers. Why do we NEVER hear of the countless acts of heroism and bravery performed by brave men and women in uniform in the mainstream media?

Did I say never?

The only place we hear the whole truth is word-of-mouth from soldiers returning home, and in the new media.

I can't wait for the buttoned-down, closet 60's hippies pulling the strings to retire and get out of the way of the truth.

How's that for an opinion? :D

In that event, I would be most happy if the media would cease FORCING their left-wing, anti-American point-of-view upon us and the world.

All we seem to hear about are the attrocities committed by a relative handful of American soldiers. Why do we NEVER hear of the countless acts of heroism and bravery performed by brave men and women in uniform in the mainstream media?

Did I say never?

The only place we hear the whole truth is word-of-mouth from soldiers returning home, and in the new media.

I can't wait for the buttoned-down, closet 60's hippies pulling the strings to retire and get out of the way of the truth.

How's that for an opinion? :D

We FORCED our troops on the Iraqi people. Nobody is FORCING you to watch the news or read the papers, that's a volentary action. Bet the Iraqi people wish they could hit the remote and change the chanel.

I can assure you it's not a "volentary action".

You may enjoy Pravda and Tass. I do not.

Bet the Iraqi people wish they could hit the remote and change the chanel.
They may wish they could change the channel, but I doubt seriously that many of them would want to hit "rewind."

Yep...I hate it when the media drops bombs on and occupies innocent cilvilians in countries like Iraq.

Really? I'll be the people in Kuwait would love to have the media drop bombs and occupy the 'innocents' in Iraq. I'll bet the Kurds that were poison gassed by Sadam would love it to. I'll bet the victims of the suicide bombers in Israel that Sadam paid off would love it too.

The key word here would be FORCED.
The whole point is indeed the word "force". I was using it to demonstrate the absurdity of the argument.

"Forced freedom" is an oxymoron—intentionally applied on my part—“forced” if you will. It’s like "Communist Capitalism" or "Islamic Democracy" the two words don't naturally fit together.

We are not in Iraq to “force” freedom on anyone. The mere fact that it would be "forced" would immediately invalidate all “free” aspects of the “dom.” Simply put, it would not truly be "freedom". Any depth of thought would reveal the veracity of this point.

Arguing over whether we should be in Iraq or not is as pointless as a married couple with children questioning whether they ever should have gotten married. The time to question the step of marriage is prior to the nuptials, not five years and three kids later.

Congressional voting records indicate that we were almost unanimously in favor of going into Afghanistan and Iraq.

“Yeah, but Bush lied.”

“My husband led me to believe his daddy was a multi-millionaire and we’d never struggle for anything.”

“My wife had me convinced she was Miss Arkansas, a gourmet cook, loved keeping a clean house and she really didn’t like to go shopping that much.”

Right, wrong or in between, we/they can’t go back and undo what has been done. The fact is, they’re married/America is in Iraq… where do we go from here?

Constant nagging, finger pointing and bickering can make any marriage a hellish experience. It does nothing to resolve differences or fix problems, if anything, it makes the actual problems bigger than they really are… or have to be.

The smug and prideful attitude of “You missed our exit. You should have turned back there. I was right, you were wrong” does nothing to make things better. For the most part, two people enter marriage together. The Republicans AND Democrats got us into this situation.

Personally, I’m tired of it. It’s time to grow up and accept our responsibility.

Like it or not, we’re in this together… as Americans, and we have an enemy who wants to kill us all… as Americans. What are we going to do as Americans to stop them?

The whole point is indeed the word "force". I was using it to demonstrate the absurdity of the argument.

"Forced freedom" is an oxymoron—intentionally applied on my part—“forced” if you will. It’s like "Communist Capitalism" or "Islamic Democracy" the two words don't naturally fit together.

We are not in Iraq to “force” freedom on anyone. The mere fact that it would be "forced" would immediately invalidate all “free” aspects of the “dom.” Simply put, it would not truly be "freedom". Any depth of thought would reveal the veracity of this point.

Arguing over whether we should be in Iraq or not is as pointless as a married couple with children questioning whether they ever should have gotten married. The time to question the step of marriage is prior to the nuptials, not five years and three kids later.

Congressional voting records indicate that we were almost unanimously in favor of going into Afghanistan and Iraq.

“Yeah, but Bush lied.”

“My husband led me to believe his daddy was a multi-millionaire and we’d never struggle for anything.”

“My wife had me convinced she was Miss Arkansas, a gourmet cook, loved keeping a clean house and she really didn’t like to go shopping that much.”

Right, wrong or in between, we/they can’t go back and undo what has been done. The fact is, they’re married/America is in Iraq… where do we go from here?

Constant nagging, finger pointing and bickering can make any marriage a hellish experience. It does nothing to resolve differences or fix problems, if anything, it makes the actual problems bigger than they really are… or have to be.

The smug and prideful attitude of “You missed our exit. You should have turned back there. I was right, you were wrong” does nothing to make things better. For the most part, two people enter marriage together. The Republicans AND Democrats got us into this situation.

Personally, I’m tired of it. It’s time to grow up and accept our responsibility.

Like it or not, we’re in this together… as Americans, and we have an enemy who wants to kill us all… as Americans. What are we going to do as Americans to stop them?

Yes, we are in this together, and the only thing we can do is make sure that those responsible for these bone headed decissions are no longer in office.

Frankly the lack of response from our leaders in the Congress after Chavez and company came here and disparaged our President and so forth was very weak.

I don't know about that. He was obviously tryint to provoke a reponse. Not giving him one was the best reponse to make.