Cincinnati Recruiting 2018

Walter

Shane Kinnee

‏@Skinnee247

11:13 AM - 21 Feb 2017

Following his visit to #Cincinnati, 2018 OLB Christopher Oats has two schools head-and-head (VIP):

4* LB that has been thought to be a lock to Ohio State for a while...

Christopher Oats, Winton Woods (OH)

He would already be a Buckeye if they would accept his verbal. OSU will get burned on these eventually.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm disappointed I haven't heard anyone tell me UC is gonna flip Riegelsperger from UK yet, still time though.

I'll be pretty surprised if he doesn't end up at UC...

I'ts been a dream since I was 4 to play college football, I'm proud and blessed to say I've committed to THE University of Kentucky! #BBNhttps://twitter.com/a_reigelsperger/status/835536175783952384/photo/1

I'ts been a dream since I was 4 to play college football, I'm proud and blessed to say I've committed to THE University of Kentucky! #BBNhttps://twitter.com/a_reigelsperger/status/835536175783952384/photo/1

That is brutal for UC, really disappointing. We know UC is behind OSU for recruits but behind UK as well will make it tough for them.

• 1 month later...

From WCPO:

CINCINNATI -- La Salle 2018 tight end Josh Whyle is staying home to play college football.

As a result, the University of Cincinnati is receiving one of its most highly rated area football commitments in the past decade, if not ever.

"UC just makes me feel at home," Whyle said. "Even though it's 10 minutes down the road, Luke Fickell and all the coaching staff - they are great guys. UC is on its way up. Probably one of the biggest factors is I know I am going to get it done on the field and in the classroom."

Whyle, one of the state’s top players in the 2018 class, verbally committed to the Bearcats after watching a morning practice at Sheakley Athletics Center Thursday. He took an unofficial campus visit after that and informed the coaches of his decision.

Whyle told Fickell of his decision and the UC head coach reflected on the news then jumped out of his seat to shake Whyle's hand.

“I think the thing he likes most is that UC is close to home,” La Salle coach Pat McLaughlin told WCPO.com. “He wants to stay close to home so his parents can see him play. I think he also developed a good relationship with Coach (Luke) Fickell. I think he likes the direction they are going.”

Whyle, who is 6 feet 6 and 223 pounds, had several other significant scholarship offers including Louisville, Auburn, Oregon, Georgia, Iowa, Tennessee, Duke, Texas Christian, West Virginia, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin, North Carolina State, Stanford, Indiana, Pittsburgh, Kentucky and others. He visited Ohio State last weekend.

“He always wanted to make the decision early,” McLaughlin said. “He visited a couple of places. The offers came in so quick. I think he wanted to get (the commitment) done so he can get to the summer and concentrate on our football team and have a great season his senior year.”

Whyle is ranked the nation’s No. 13 tight end by the 247Sports Composite Rankings and Ohio’s No. 15 player overall.

Whyle was a first-team all-Greater Catholic League South division selection for the Lancers this past season. UC offered him Jan. 9. Whyle took a Junior Day visit to UC Jan. 19.

"Actually after the first visit I took there I told my parents walking out that I would commit right now if I could," Whyle said. "But, i knew I had to take other college visits and compare and contrast. After my Ohio State visit I knew it was time. No other coaches treated me the way (UC) did. I knew it was a place that I should go."

McLaughlin sat down with Whyle and narrowed the list of schools to 10. La Salle Athletic Director Keith Pantling also helped Whyle in the process.

Whyle and his family considered the style of offense, academics, proximity to home and relationships with the coaching staff.

“All of those were checked for UC,” McLaughlin said. “I’m really happy for him.”

Whyle, who is interested in studying sports medicine, also played basketball for La Salle and helped that team to finish as a Division I regional runner-up.

His size and agility on the perimeter makes him a coveted prospect from a program that has won three consecutive Division II state titles.

Whyle, who lives in Mount Airy, played wide receiver his freshman and sophomore seasons at La Salle and it’s his ability to catch the ball and elude defenders that allows him to stand out.

Whyle is the second area player to commit to UC in the 2018 class. St. Xavier defensive end Blake Bacevich committed to the Bearcats at a spring practice March 25.

The area’s 2018 class has three verbal commitments including Moeller tight end Brenden Bates (Kentucky) along with Whyle and Bacevich.

Whyle said UC will continue to add more area recruits in the near future.

"I am not going to mention names but I know other guys are coming," Whyle said.

4* Lasalle TE Josh Whyle committed to UC today. Just outside the top 300 nationally and rated the 3rd best TE in Ohio and #13 nationally. Whyle had just visited Ohio State this past weekend.

Nice land for Coach Fick, gotta lock up as many top 20 Ohio kids as he can. It wasn't gonna happen at OSU and Whyle knew it, why not go ahead and go where you feel comfortable? I think it's a great move for him and a great land for UC.

Nice land for Coach Fick, gotta lock up as many top 20 Ohio kids as he can. It wasn't gonna happen at OSU and Whyle knew it, why not go ahead and go where you feel comfortable? I think it's a great move for him and a great land for UC.

Hate to break it to you, but OSU offered on his visit Saturday and pushed for a commitment. He didn't like Urb telling him "Let's make this quick" when they sat down to talk. The rest is now history...

Hate to break it to you, but OSU offered on his visit Saturday and pushed for a commitment. He didn't like Urb telling him "Let's make this quick" when they sat down to talk. The rest is now history...

So Urb was gonna take him now while he's waiting in the #1 TE in the country to commit... I think not. Good get for you all.

So Urb was gonna take him now while he's waiting in the #1 TE in the country to commit... I think not. Good get for you all.

They offered and pushed for a commitment Saturday. I know that as 100% fact. Carry on...

Heard the kid's interview today on the radio & the first thing he said was that he didn't like some of the coaches he met. I thought it was an odd comment, but it sounds like he was referencing Urban.

Hope Meyer told the #1 TE in the country who's visited OSU 3-4 times now. No way Meyer takes a top 300 kid until Ruck decides what he's doing.

They would have gladly taken both. Luke got one away from Urb this time. Won't happen often, but it did today...

They would have gladly taken both. Luke got one away from Urb this time. Won't happen often, but it did today...

You think Meyer would tell a plan A option "let's make this quick?" Come on now. Ask Chris Oates who's still waiting for the green light.

It's good bulletin board material but beat UK in Ohio before you poke the Grizzly bear lol.

I thought your 247 write up was solid in any event.