KHSAA should be ashamed!

wkufan1

I want a system that it's rewarded to earn your way into the playoffs.

And it's funny you bring that up. Today, you already have better teams getting eliminated in the current system in some cases. So why are you worrying about it now?

What better teams are currently eliminated?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not bring them up? Every other sport is different. Football is different than basketball which is different than wrestling which is different than softball, etc. Everyone gets a shot in all the other sports. They all get to be beaten badly, again, by someone in the first round. Why does the difference between football and basketball require a different system that isn't required because of the differences between basketball and girls softball?

The other sports do embed the district process into the regular season, just like football. That's how they seed for the district tournament, just like football does for the playoffs. Heck, basketball sets up byes for teams in 3 and 5 team districts to make sure everyone gets a chance.

I just don't get the problem with playing one extra week of football.

What better teams are currently eliminated?

No idea this year. Haven't done the research. But I know in the past a 0 win Boone team made the playoffs while 2-3 win teams were sitting at home. And there were multiple examples scattered through the divisions. I havent done the research in a couple years because I've done good staying out of this debate. But back then I had all kinds of spreadsheet data to tell the story. Lol!

So it was perfectly fine to have these blowout games in weeks 0-3 (when teams signed up to play each other) of the season but in week 11 its an issue?

Like I already said. In week 0-3, you choose your opponent. You don't have to play anyone you don't want to. In the playoffs, the cross state opponent is chosen for you and you have no choice.

Yes. Fully aware of how it works. I coach. And I fully explained how football is much different than "all the other sports"

Tell me this. Why does the football process of district play during the season eliminate ANY teams then?? See another difference between football and "all other sports".

Your argument that because two or four teams in all of football don't make the playoffs is very weak. In fact, I could take your argument that football is different and use it to explain why a handful of teams don't make it in football. That looks to me like you're arguing against yourself or arguing both sides of it.

Late to the party and presenting just some draw your own conclusion stats, since I just completed my annual spreadsheet:

-93 First Round games

-Average Margin of Victory - 34.53 PPG (Highest under six class system)

-66 games with margins of 25 points or more (71%) - This was actually down from last year (69 & 73.4%), which was highest under six class system. This was second highest.

-8 games with single digit margins (Ties lowest under six class system - 2008)

-43 games with margins of larger than 36 - So at least that many running clocks, but in reality more. 46.24% of all games.

When compared to 2006, the last year of the four class system:

-93 games (16) vs. 64 games (06)

-Average Margin of Victory - 34.53 (16) vs. 23.81 (06)

-Games with margins of 25 points or more - 66 (16) vs. 33 (06)

-Games with single digit margins - 8 (16) vs. 19 (06)

Many of the current format's second round numbers resemble the first round numbers under the four class system.

If we stick with 6 classes, I would prefer we only take top two. Or, we go back to four classes and take top 4. But, there is not enough support for that among schools.

I have espoused this before, but this is exactly my line of thinking. I don't have a problem with four teams making it. I don't think I ever batted an eyelash about it under the four class system. But as far as I can tell, the gulf between the haves and have nots is deepening, not growing closer together. The numbers I just posted reflect the least competitive first round we've ever ever had. And that's with the running clock.