Highlands 1 Newport Catholic 0

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty much the game you'd expect between these two teams. NCC played well and had their chances. Logan Muck didn't play after taking a yellow card (late in first half?) so still questions to be answered at next meeting at districts. Parker Smith with game winner off a corner. Good luck to NCC at All "A" state finals this weekend.

Definitely a typical battle between these two. NCC didn't possess much, but rather looked for the more direct ball the entire game. HHS did well to cope with this style of play by winning the 50/50 balls. Drew Rom and Colton Dolezal, by far, were the best players out there tonight for the Birds. Both of these strong and athletic players won nearly every header by them. Aside from that, Dolezal's distribution (switching the field mostly) and dribbling under pressure were a key to HHS success tonight. It was cool to see how accurate his passes were under pressure. It is a pleasure to watch him when he plays with this kind of intensity and leadership. Definitely a contender for one of the top midfielders in NKY. Again, Gish and Dolezal used their unique corner play to draw NCC out of shape, which eventually got the game winner for HHS by Parker Smith!

Overall, both sides played very physical. It is tough to see that many yellow cards and offsides in one match slow the level of play down. Excited for the District game coming soon!

Well down, HHS and NCC.

^ great pics, as always! The photos above reminded me what a good job Joel Grosser did in goal for NCC (another nice young man and GSP participant with a bright future ahead of him).

Edited by Sir!

Pretty much the game you'd expect between these two teams. NCC played well and had their chances. Logan Muck didn't play after taking a yellow card (late in first half?) so still questions to be answered at next meeting at districts. Parker Smith with game winner off a corner. Good luck to NCC at All "A" state finals this weekend.

Is this a NCC policy, not to re-enter the game if you receive a yellow card? What was the yellow card given for, was it warranted or one of the many given out of under false pretenses?

Is this a NCC policy, not to re-enter the game if you receive a yellow card? What was the yellow card given for, was it warranted or one of the many given out of under false pretenses?

This is an area I think I (YC) am qualified to speak about.... mind you, one of the few.

If it is a policy at NCC, it is a very new one. I have seen multiple occasions in which a NCC player received a yellow and did re-enter the match.

My take on not re-entering last night... Although this is a great rivalry, last nights match was no more than that, the biggie between these two is still a couple of weeks away. The decision last night was probably made because of their All "A" matches this coming weekend. If I'm the coach, I also sit him last night, I do not risk not having Muck available this weekend.

Really false pretenses. Game control is an important job of the referee and cards are one of the tools for game control. Khsaa has told the officials to get control of the physical play and dissent.

NCC plays in the All-A this weekend. Pretty sure they just didn't want to risk losing him for big games. They'll get at least one more shot at Highlands (maybe 2 if things go right for HHS and NCC in Regionals). I think the card may have been for a shirt tug/tactical foul near midfield? Not too egregious, but avoidable. People may have felt cards were coming too easily last night, but an intense game requires management so that it doesn't get out of hand. I thought the officials did a decent job of it.

Really false pretenses. Game control is an important job of the referee and cards are one of the tools for game control. Khsaa has told the officials to get control of the physical play and dissent.

Relax, just asking. But lets be honest if you have seen any amount of HS games and know something about the game you have seen ridiculous cards given out. I've seen many for some great, hard, completely fair tackles.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Rule #8

I have seen quite a few games in my time and I'm sure there have been games where some cards are not always warranted. There is a line and the officials have to demonstrate to all the players where the line is for the match. I will say there is quite a few officials that do basketball games also and there foul recognition is plentiful.

Saw a post from a parent of two kids last night. One had a complete footprint on his leg, the other was icing another part of his body. No complaints, just said it was a heck of a match between to rivals. Sounded like a good game (for a soccer game).