Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands 1 Newport Catholic 0

Featured Replies

So if I understand correctly......

 

TAC likes the futbal matches that most resemble the football matches?

 

We may have found the key in fully converting him/her over to the dark side. Welcome young Pademon (sp?)

  • Replies 34
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have seen quite a few games in my time and I'm sure there have been games where some cards are not always warranted. There is a line and the officials have to demonstrate to all the players where the line is for the match. I will say there is quite a few officials that do basketball games also and there foul recognition is plentiful.

 

So we do agree on something! And trust me I'm not one to beat on the referees, actually the opposite, check my record I rarely comment on the officials. A game where there is no mention of the referee crew is the sign of a well officiated match. And I'm aware how the lack of referees is forcing a lot of inexperienced crews to work these very difficult rivalry matches. A sincere appreciation goes out to all of the fine men and women that give up a ton of their time for little pay so these players can play the number of games they do. I can see a time where KHSAA may have to reduce the number of HS games in a season due to a lack of referees. This for a number of reasons will not be all bad.

So we do agree on something! And trust me I'm not one to beat on the referees, actually the opposite, check my record I rarely comment on the officials. A game where there is no mention of the referee crew is the sign of a well officiated match. And I'm aware how the lack of referees is forcing a lot of inexperienced crews to work these very difficult rivalry matches. A sincere appreciation goes out to all of the fine men and women that give up a ton of their time for little pay so these players can play the number of games they do. I can see a time where KHSAA may have to reduce the number of HS games in a season due to a lack of referees. This for a number of reasons will not be all bad.

The day they have enough referees is the day there is no one left in the stands.

So if I understand correctly......

 

TAC likes the futbal matches that most resemble the football matches?

 

We may have found the key in fully converting him/her over to the dark side. Welcome young Pademon (sp?)

 

After hearing from all the soccer fans how physical the game is, all you see if flopping and whistles blown. Not lying, I like seeing the boys mix it up a bit. Keep them yellow cards in the pocket.

After hearing from all the soccer fans how physical the game is, all you see if flopping and whistles blown. Not lying, I like seeing the boys mix it up a bit. Keep them yellow cards in the pocket.

 

soccer.jpg

ouch

King Arthur: Now stand aside, worthy adversary.

Black Knight: Tis but a scratch.

King Arthur: A scratch?! Your arm's off!

Black Knight: No it isn't.

King Arthur: Well what's that then? [Pointing to the knight's arm lying on the ground.]

Black Knight: I've had worse.

King Arthur: You liar!

Black Knight: Come on then, you pansy!

This is an area I think I (YC) am qualified to speak about.... mind you, one of the few.

 

If it is a policy at NCC, it is a very new one. I have seen multiple occasions in which a NCC player received a yellow and did re-enter the match.

 

My take on not re-entering last night... Although this is a great rivalry, last nights match was no more than that, the biggie between these two is still a couple of weeks away. The decision last night was probably made because of their All "A" matches this coming weekend. If I'm the coach, I also sit him last night, I do not risk not having Muck available this weekend.

 

You are wise beyond your years YC. It is my understanding that Muck was held out for that precise reason.

 

Unfortunately the crew last night has always had a heightened awareness of him and an extremely short leash. Not sure he has ever played a match that I have witnessed where he has not received a card for physical play. The foul last night was certainly not card worthy with both boys simply challenging for the ball. If the center thought it card worthy then could have gone either way.

 

I really only thought 2 cards were warranted during the match certainly not 5.

You are wise beyond your years YC. It is my understanding that Muck was held out for that precise reason.

 

Unfortunately the crew last night has always had a heightened awareness of him and an extremely short leash. Not sure he has ever played a match that I have witnessed where he has not received a card for physical play. The foul last night was certainly not card worthy with both boys simply challenging for the ball. If the center thought it card worthy then could have gone either way.

 

I really only thought 2 cards were warranted during the match certainly not 5.

 

Be careful wayoffsides, some on here will be all over you for these comments and allow me to remind you by quoting him,

 

"Game control is an important job of the referee and cards are one of the tools for game control."

 

Switching back to yellow cards, there is something to be said for learning to play with a card. If a coach never allows his player to play with a yellow, the player can never learn to do so. So if the situation happens say the regional final game and an impact player receives a yellow card in the first half, he will have no experience of how to play the rest of the game carrying this yellow card. Last night may have not been the best time to gain this experience given the ALL A tournament this weekend, but maybe a game coming up. And if what you say is true, "Not sure he has ever played a match that I have witnessed where he has not received a card for physical play." it won't take long for this teaching situation to occur.

 

By the way about how many games have you seen NCC play this season…how many yellow cards does Muck have? Either you have not seen many games or he has a ton of yellow cards.

I will admit, I was wrong about NCC being better than HHS. I only saw the second half of this one but the birds controlled the tempo and the ball for 85% of the half. As mentioned above, NCC was without a key player for the 2nd half but really had no possession game. Huge credit should go out to NCC's GK. I saw numerous scoring opportunities for HHS that were saved by tremendous blocks from the keeper. I saw a good number of cards in the 2nd half and IMO all were warranted. Good luck to NCC at the All A tourney this weekend and to both teams going forward.

You are wise beyond your years YC. It is my understanding that Muck was held out for that precise reason.

 

Unfortunately the crew last night has always had a heightened awareness of him and an extremely short leash. Not sure he has ever played a match that I have witnessed where he has not received a card for physical play. The foul last night was certainly not card worthy with both boys simply challenging for the ball. If the center thought it card worthy then could have gone either way.

 

I really only thought 2 cards were warranted during the match certainly not 5.

 

So if a player gets a card almost every time he plays when does it stop being a ref issue and a player issue?

I was thinking the same thing Bothways......I haven't seen him play and I am npot making any comments on his style or play.......but if the statement about getting cards about every game, then I'm thinking the refs have been pretty consistent and the player hasn't learned to adjust his game, therefore leaving the team vulnerable....

I've seen NCC play 3 times this year and that was the first card I've seen Muck take. He is a talented player and has gotten a lot stronger over the past year. It was fun to watch him battle with Colton Dolezal for HHS in the midfield. I do find it amusing that some on here can give advice on how he or his coach should manage or adjust when they haven't even seen the lad play this year?

 

Good luck to NCC this weekend in the All-A. Represent for Northern KY!

I've seen NCC play 3 times this year and that was the first card I've seen Muck take. He is a talented player and has gotten a lot stronger over the past year. It was fun to watch him battle with Colton Dolezal for HHS in the midfield. I do find it amusing that some on here can give advice on how he or his coach should manage or adjust when they haven't even seen the lad play this year?

 

Good luck to NCC this weekend in the All-A. Represent for Northern KY!

 

I've seen Muck play and agree he is a talented player. And maybe this (in bold) was not directed at me, but any coach worth mentioning will tell you players need to learn how to play with a yellow card. Its part of the game, all good, smart, talented players will get yellow cards from time to time. Some yellow cards, the tactical type can be from a great goal saving tackle, etc are very smart plays and the player knows going in he will get a yellow card. So learning to play with a yellow card is a very valuable tactical technique that is learned from experience.

I have seen them play 3 matches and he has received cards in all 3.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.