(2A) Newport Central Catholic @ (6A) Cooper predictions

Lawnboy13

Who is the victor come Friday night?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the victor come Friday night?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why doesn't anyone give Cooper a hard time for scheduling a 2A school?

I think a lot of that has to do with the hatred one fan has cause for SK on here. But I think the fact that there is a connection between Cooper and NCC is why this game is constantly played. Borchers graduated from NCC.

Also, again because of a certain poster, SK has been claimed as one of the elite in the state and its said over and over they can play with the Male, Trinity, etc.'s of the world. So people question why they don't schedule them. No one from Cooper touts them as one of the greatest teams in the state but more a solid program on the up swing who is capable of making a solid run in the playoffs. Nothing less and nothing more! That would be my guess as to why nothing is said about it. That and Cooper is still 5A size so it isn't quite as big of a deal maybe?

I am not down playing how good NCC might be, because I think they have some solid talent. But, we are measuring them off a scrimmage against a well below average Holmes team and a game against a very bad Scott team right now. I think this game will be able to tell a lot more about both teams. If NCC wins, they are definitely in good shape. If Cooper wins by a solid margin then it shows that thy may be ok and will be a team that improves each week.

I think this is a good matchup for both teams and we will know more about both at about 10:15 Friday night!

NCC JV defense gave up 2tds. And the other td was on the kick off returned for a td. NCC defense (as in the varsity squad) is solid. Don't let that score fool you.

Fair enough. Then I guess the correct question is does Cooper have any chance at all in this game.

I think a lot of that has to do with the hatred one fan has cause for SK on here. But I think the fact that there is a connection between Cooper and NCC is why this game is constantly played. Borchers graduated from NCC.

Also, again because of a certain poster, SK has been claimed as one of the elite in the state and its said over and over they can play with the Male, Trinity, etc.'s of the world. So people question why they don't schedule them. No one from Cooper touts them as one of the greatest teams in the state but more a solid program on the up swing who is capable of making a solid run in the playoffs. Nothing less and nothing more! That would be my guess as to why nothing is said about it. That and Cooper is still 5A size so it isn't quite as big of a deal maybe?

1. Thats an issue for the posters then if one person can get to them that bad.

2. Big assumption being made here that Male, Trinity etc's want to play SK. Remember scheduling is a two way street. The only "elite" team to step up is St. Xavier, and even then only in a scrimmage. Remember these teams could meet up in the playoffs, so on one hand why play them during the regular season unless its a district game. Also lets not forget, Highlands would only play SK after Dale left.

Add in the fact that Simon Kenton scheduled weak opponents and scheduled a lot of lower class opponents in virtually all their non district games for several years.

Didnt hear Beechwood fans complaining about the gate on the home and home either back in the day. Furthermore 2 of the 5 out of district games back then were County rivals they were forced to play (5A/6A and 4A/5A schools at the time). Besides Highlands and Cov Cath, who else in NKY (5A and 4A) where very good? Bet I guess playing Beechwood when they knew how to win championships, and NCC when they were winning a few titles cant in any way benefit your program.

Fair enough. Then I guess the correct question is does Cooper have any chance at all in this game.

Not what I was implying. Just staying the facts of the NCC game against Scott. I think it will be a good game.

Edited by Onespiritedfan
Mispelling

In the immortal words of Aaron Rodgers....R-E-L-A-X. The Jags knew coming into the season that they were going to be young and there would be a lot of new faces on the field with not a lot of depth.

I don't see all the doom and gloom that so many are assuming. Sure, the loss last week stung but I do believe it was to one of the best teams in the State in HHS let's not forget and take away two of the 3 huge turnovers and the game might have gone a different way but I want to be clear and give all the credit to the team that found a way to win THAT game.

Cooper is into its 9th season and continues to improve. While history means nothing, if you remove the 2013 season, what this somewhat young program has accomplished is more than respectable since the 2011 season.

Winning or tying the district 4 of the past 5 years, 2 regional titles, a State runner-up appearance, and a 1pt loss in the quarterfinals in their 1st "real" year in 6A when many on this site said they would get murdered playing with the "big boys".

Yes, loosing last week and giving up 52 surely was not the outcome the Jags wanted but IMO there is no staff in NKY that gets more out of less than Cooper.

So I'll say lets just R-E-L-A-X and see where this team is come October/November.

I couldn't agree more. What I think a lot of people have forgotten about last weeks game is the fact that Cooper shut down Highlands offense and went up 21-6 right away. Cooper got gassed and lost 3 starters to injury that game and that is when highlands started scoring. Also anyone who watched the game remembers many times Cooper had HHS at 3rd and long before HHS would break a big play that kept drives alive. Funny how after the game people, mainly HHS fans, started talking about how great their offense looked. I think as the season goes they will realize that it may not be as stout as they want to believe and think the heat had more to do with their ability to score than their actual offense.

Cooper will be fine. They are young, but they still should be abelt to take care of business against teams they should beat and I think NCC is one of those teams.

Why doesn't anyone give Cooper a hard time for scheduling a 2A school?

They have every single year they've played, but those close to the two programs understand why they play. Same reason many other games in NKY take place such as CCH and Beechwood every year etc. The 2 coaching staffs have very close ties and as courtesy they have scheduled each other all these years.

NCC has always loaded their schedule with alot bigger schools. I believe they have been to 8 of the last 9 2A state championships. I think it is a great game for both teams. NCC usually has enough talent to put up a good fight even though they lose to the bigger teams. I think it is a win/win for both teams.

I couldn't agree more. What I think a lot of people have forgotten about last weeks game is the fact that Cooper shut down Highlands offense and went up 21-6 right away. Cooper got gassed and lost 3 starters to injury that game and that is when highlands started scoring. Also anyone who watched the game remembers many times Cooper had HHS at 3rd and long before HHS would break a big play that kept drives alive. Funny how after the game people, mainly HHS fans, started talking about how great their offense looked. I think as the season goes they will realize that it may not be as stout as they want to believe and think the heat had more to do with their ability to score than their actual offense.

Cooper will be fine. They are young, but they still should be abelt to take care of business against teams they should beat and I think NCC is one of those teams.

I think execution had more to do with extending the series than the heat did. Cooper lost that game in the trentch. Two rb's with over 100 yards. Blame the weather all you want but when the guy a foot in front of you is able to block you 5 yards off the ball and open huge holes, that is execution. Heck of they were just that tired or hot they could have just fallen down and clogged the middle.