Copa America

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Messi is likely just speaking with emotion in the heat of the moment.

And a large number of those in Argentina are speaking in the heat of the moment, and their words will have lasting effects on Messi, Argentina doesn't deserve him. I think that he is serious.

Did I hear correctly that Iceland's coach is a part-time dentist?

He kept his dental practice because he was previously part-time manager. Now that he has full-time appointment as Iceland's manager, he's set aside his dental practice for the time being.

They apparently made a huge push to get coaches trained and educated. I read somewhere that there is one UEFA certified coach for every 500 people in Iceland. In the UK, that number is closer to 1 in 10,000.

Edit: I feel like these last three posts should be in the Euro thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting numbers starting to come out about where the money went for Copa America. If this actually comes to something, I'll put it in another thread, but for now I'll throw it here.

Total purse money for the top eight participants in the tournament was $21.5M. Chile got the top payout of $6M for winning and it decreased as you went down.

Someone on Twitter (@MAEAgency) is running the numbers and has come up with a figure suggesting that only 7.5 percent of gross revenues went back to the nations playing in the tournament. For comparison's sake, 66 percent, fully two-thirds, of the revenues from the European Championships is going back to the 24 participating countries.

Anyone who wants to know why I won't watch MLS needs to know three words: Soccer United Marketing. It's the massive entity which holds all of the MLS contracts and in which all MLS owners are shareholders. It also had the marketing and TV distribution rights to Copa America.

I don't know what's happening yet, but nothing about these people would surprise me.