Local Soccer Teams

Usually by this time of year we are inundated with analysis of the local soccer teams and who has a chance to make a run at State, Regional and/or Nationals. So with that said, who are some of the teams out there that are having good seasons thus far and who are the members of those teams. Also what league are they participating in and what State Cup will they be participating in?

KHA U16 Red will be looking to win their 3rd Kentucky State Cup in the past 4 seasons. In terms of leagues, they participate in KPL, and MRL Premier.

Carter Kunstek (St Henry)

Josh Bisbee (St Henry)

Brett Bolin (Ryle)

Aiden Jordan (Ryle)

Luke Lockard (Calvary Christian)

Logan Muck (New Cath)

Dominic Russo (Cov Cath)

Gabe Smallwood (Campbell Co)

Adam Snow (Cooper)

Edited by hoops5

KHA U16 Red will be looking to win their 3rd Kentucky State Cup in the past 4 seasons. In terms of leagues, they participate in KPL, and MRL Premier.

Josh Bisbee (St Henry)

Brett Bolin (Ryle)

Aiden Jordan (Ryle)

Logan Muck (New Cath)

Dominic Russo (Cov Cath)

Adam Snow (Cooper)

Any idea the break between '99s and '00s on this team? It'll be interesting to watch what the change to birth year registration does to change team composition, particularly at this age group.

I know college coaches are groaning at the prospect of having to sort out at the (new) U17 level whether they are watching sophomores or Juniors and at the (new) U18 level whether they are watching Juniors or Seniors. I'm sure the needs of college coaches is well down the list of priorities for USSF.

Josh Bisbee (St Henry)

Brett Bolin (Ryle)

Aiden Jordan (Ryle)

Logan Muck (New Cath)

Dominic Russo (Cov Cath)

Adam Snow (Cooper)

@Yellow Card. :whistling: I added someone.

Any idea the break between '99s and '00s on this team? It'll be interesting to watch what the change to birth year registration does to change team composition, particularly at this age group.

I know college coaches are groaning at the prospect of having to sort out at the (new) U17 level whether they are watching sophomores or Juniors and at the (new) U18 level whether they are watching Juniors or Seniors. I'm sure the needs of college coaches is well down the list of priorities for USSF.

This team is split right down the middle, of the 15 kids on the roster, I believe eight of them are '00s and seven are '99s. The new guidelines will prove interesting, especially at KHA, they do not intend on fielding a team at the U18 age group. Their intent is to combine the '98s and '99s and play at the U19 level.

Sir, not calling you out just wondering if your,

"I know college coaches are groaning" comment is more an assumption (which is shared by many) or do you know some college coaches personally and they have told you this themselves?

If you know some personally and have any inside information on how your college coach friends may be considering how they will recruit I would love to hear it.

Josh Bisbee (St Henry)

Brett Bolin (Ryle)

Aiden Jordan (Ryle)

Logan Muck (New Cath)

Dominic Russo (Cov Cath)

Adam Snow (Cooper)

A good size group of NKY boys playing at a high level. The thing I noticed from reading this list, out of these 9 players 7 different NKY High schools are represented.

The talent in the 2016 HS season will be spread around. I think ASnow will be a senior, are the others to be juniors or any to be seniors?

Sir, not calling you out just wondering if your,

"I know college coaches are groaning" comment is more an assumption (which is shared by many) or do you know some college coaches personally and they have told you this themselves?

If you know some personally and have any inside information on how your college coach friends may be considering how they will recruit I would love to hear it.

Two separate college coaches I've spoken with recently have shared that observation. I don't know that it changes approach, just makes it a bit harder for coaches to know what year they're looking at. IMO the most successful kids recruit themselves by screening and targeting schools that are a good fit in terms of academics, demographics, and soccer.

But... for those kids (and parents) sold on being "discovered" at a showcase tournament, I'm working on a year-of-graduation fluorescent sunscreen (2017 green; 2018 orange, etc). Players can purchase and apply it at major tournaments and college coaches will be given complimentary sunglasses that reveal the color. Working name = "Scholly-Tone"... Tentative product tagline = "Don't get burned at your next College Showcase." Thoughts?

Edited by Sir!

A good size group of NKY boys playing at a high level. The thing I noticed from reading this list, out of these 9 players 7 different NKY High schools are represented.

The talent in the 2016 HS season will be spread around. I think ASnow will be a senior, are the others to be juniors or any to be seniors?

Snow is the only senior, the rest of the team will all be juniors next year. The team make up is consistent on the Ohio side as well, schools represented are Summit, St. X, LaSalle, Withrow, Oak Hills, and Turpin.

What you have heard is the same as what I've heard from a few assistant coaches responsible for recruitment and have indicated to me. It's more of a nuisance to them more than anything else when attending showcases and targeting a certain grad class and have their list of players (see below about getting on list) they plan to watch/evaluate as it may mean they are having to possibly attend games in two age brackets which is often physically separated at different field locations. Outside of that it has no real impact.

I would however; disagree in small (emphasis on small) part to the "discovered" sarcasm. Although, I got a good chuckle out of it and your point in general is valid it's not a 100% accurate and don't want folks to misunderstand certain aspects of those showcases. There is an aspect where players are initially identified and thus "discovered" at them.

Although in the vast majority of the cases your point about players targeting and thus initiating contact with specific schools is the norm, it's more than rare that a player maybe contacted by a coach initially. This is typically, although not exclusively, when D2/D3 coaches are in attendance and they have a list of uncommitted players given to them for a specific class and looking to collect as man qualified prospects and looking to get some percentage responding and they are already present at a game to watch another player. I won't comment on why they do this type of recruitment but suffices to state I know this recruitment does go on thus can result in players being contacted by those schools without the player initiating.

That said, I 100% concur with your statement that players/parents should plan on "targeting schools that are a good fit in terms of academics, demographics, and soccer." and follow what most clubs advise to their players/parents in terms of recruitment processes and recommended steps.

NOTE: Out of practice on this site. this is of course in reference to Sir's post

Edited by futbalfan
missed reference to message response it targeted

I would however; disagree in small (emphasis on small) part to the "discovered" sarcasm. Although, I got a good chuckle out of it and your point in general is valid it's not a 100% accurate and don't want folks to misunderstand certain aspects of those showcases. There is an aspect where players are initially identified and thus "discovered" at them.

Maybe in the higher divisions, but what are the chances that the school that "discovers" them is a good fit academically, demographically, or financially? Better off inverting the strategy and recruiting yourself to targeted schools. For just the travel/hotel cost of attending a CASL or Disney tournament you can go to a college ID camp at a school you're actually interested in. Or maybe... very old-school... arranging a campus visit and a kick-about with the coach and some current team members (if that is still allowed).

For reference... At 2015 CASL Girls Showcase in NC in just the U17 age group there over 2,000 girls playing on 130 different teams in 195 games in 17 divisions at multiple locations. When you're in the Copa Black (17th) division and none of your games are at the main complex, are you really going to get "discovered"? The real zinger is when you travel all the way to NC and play a team from Ohio South!

KHA u17 red just won KPL this past weekend by beating United. This does not guarantee winning a state cup but beating all the teams in a league game shows you that you can compete for one. The local players playing on this team are:

Tate Johnson- St Henry/ Centre College

Ian Manahan- St Henry

DJ Sanders- St Henry

Griffin Lamb- Cov Cath

Mike Vogt- Cov Cath

Cole Stava- Cov Cath

Charlie Wend- Conner

Johnny Trenkamp- Scott

Grant Perkins- Campbell County

Good luck to all the local teams playing in state or presidents cup.

KHA u17 red just won KPL this past weekend by beating United. This does not guarantee winning a state cup but beating all the teams in a league game shows you that you can compete for one. The local players playing on this team are:

Tate Johnson- St Henry/ Centre College

Ian Manahan- St Henry

DJ Sanders- St Henry

Griffin Lamb- Cov Cath

Mike Vogt- Cov Cath

Cole Stava- Cov Cath

Charlie Wend- Conner

Johnny Trenkamp- Scott

Grant Perkins- Campbell County

Good luck to all the local teams playing in state or presidents cup.

Does this team play MRL or just KPL? Who coaches this team?