Petrino Contract Extended

jpa2825

Our definition of stepping stone is clearly different. And by your apparent opinion of the term, every job in America is a stepping stone, because not many coaches are going to turn down an NFL gig, or a chance to coach at Texas, Bama, etc...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our definition of stepping stone is clearly different. And by your apparent opinion of the term, every job in America is a stepping stone, because not many coaches are going to turn down an NFL gig, or a chance to coach at Texas, Bama, etc...

Well you said it's not a stepping stone anymore. Meaning apparently you felt like Petrino made it a stepping stone by going to the nfl. Then Strong making it a stepping stone by going to Texas. If you didn't view them as using it as a stepping stone then you would have said it hadn't been a stepping stone job for over ten years now instead of just now becoming one.

So if you thought those coaches used it as a stepping stone to go to the nfl or a premiere college football job. Then I guess you saying this now means you don't think a coach would leave for a job like that now correct?

Not to mention, if teams are constantly trying to poach away our coaches, that must mean our football program is in pretty good shape. That's a problem I'm willing to deal with, one a UK football fan wouldn't understand.

I definitely understand. You act like I am a usual uk fan who goes after UL just because. But how many times have you actually seen me go after UL? Not often at all. However when you make a claim that it's not a stepping stone job anymore I am going to call you out on it. As I mentioned apparently you thought Petrino and Strong used it as a stepping stone to get to nfl or premiere coaching job. So if you thought coaches did use them as a stepping stone before for jobs like that. I don't know how you can say coaches still won't leave like those two coaches did.

I wish UK was where UL was as a football program. UL football program is a very good and respected program across the nation. However it is still not a job coaches view as a end job. Meaning coaches who go there will want to have enough success to land them their premier job. Just like UC did with Brian Kelly and Burch Jones. UL is a notch above UC now but at the end of the day coaches still would use UL to get that top job if they can. Which they know coaching at UL could help them accomplish that.

Who said there was no way Strong would leave for Texas?

Go back and look at the threads for the last few years Strong was there. Many UL fans said that. I know this because I argued with them saying he definitely will leave when a top job comes along.

So far with UL fans it was Petrino wouldn't leave and then he went to the NFL. Then the next Coach was suppose to be amazing and he was cleaning up the program and right guy for the job and well we know how that ended. Then it was Strong wouldn't leave he is happy and UL has the resources to Match any deal so he won't leave but yet he did. Now it's all of a sudden they are no longer a stepping stone job.

I know UL fans don't want to admit it but UL is just like being the little brother of UK. Meaning UL fans are very similar to UK fans with how irrational they are sometimes. Only difference is there is not as many UL fans as UK. So UK fans are more annoying with it even though UL fans are similar.

I don't see UofL as a stepping stone job right now. They are in a solid conference and have established a strong level of recent success. There will always be a number of jobs that any coach would consider leaving for...NFL, Bama, Notre Dame, Florida St, Texas and a few others.

Petrino is a different situation in that it is hard to believe any other school would attempt to hire him. So it's hard to tell what jobs another successful UofL coach (in his place) would leave for, because he aint going any place.

Louisville can definitely be a career job for any coach...very similar to Georgia.

Go back and look at the threads for the last few years Strong was there. Many UL fans said that. I know this because I argued with them saying he definitely will leave when a top job comes along.

So far with UL fans it was Petrino wouldn't leave and then he went to the NFL. Then the next Coach was suppose to be amazing and he was cleaning up the program and right guy for the job and well we know how that ended. Then it was Strong wouldn't leave he is happy and UL has the resources to Match any deal so he won't leave but yet he did. Now it's all of a sudden they are no longer a stepping stone job.

I know UL fans don't want to admit it but UL is just like being the little brother of UK. Meaning UL fans are very similar to UK fans with how irrational they are sometimes. Only difference is there is not as many UL fans as UK. So UK fans are more annoying with it even though UL fans are similar.

Again, if your definition of stepping stone is the fact that a coach would leave for a higher paying college or NFL job, then every school in American sans about 5 are stepping stone jobs.

Keep throwing out your shots. Louisville's football program is in a better place than your favorite could even imagine to be. If it makes you feel better, keep at it junior. :lol2:

I don't see UofL as a stepping stone job right now. They are in a solid conference and have established a strong level of recent success. There will always be a number of jobs that any coach would consider leaving for...NFL, Bama, Notre Dame, Florida St, Texas and a few others.

Petrino is a different situation in that it is hard to believe any other school would attempt to hire him. So it's hard to tell what jobs another successful UofL coach (in his place) would leave for, because he aint going any place.

Louisville can definitely be a career job for any coach...very similar to Georgia.

The coach is irrelevant to whether or not Louisville is a stepping stone. The moves that Jurich has made to show his committment to the program (via salaries, facilities upgrades, etc) is what makes Louisville just a gateway to a better job.

Like you said, there are jobs that any college coach not already at those schools would take. I never said a Louisville football coach wouldn't ever leave for a better job, that's just foolish.

Well you said it's not a stepping stone anymore. Meaning apparently you felt like Petrino made it a stepping stone by going to the nfl. Then Strong making it a stepping stone by going to Texas. If you didn't view them as using it as a stepping stone then you would have said it hadn't been a stepping stone job for over ten years now instead of just now becoming one.

So if you thought those coaches used it as a stepping stone to go to the nfl or a premiere college football job. Then I guess you saying this now means you don't think a coach would leave for a job like that now correct?

Louisville has been in bad football conferences in the past. Not too many coaches strive to coach in Conference USA or the AAC. They are in a Power 5 conference with the facilities to match. Obviously Louisville is a better job than it used to be. Come on, you have to be smarter than that.

It's really not that hard to understand the idea that a coach leaving a school for a bigger, more prestigious job doesn't mean that school is a stepping stone. Urban Meyer left Florida and ended up at Ohio State. Is Florida a stepping stone? Nick Saban left LSU for Alabama. Is LSU a stepping stone?

Show me where I've said anything remotely close to the notion that I don't think a Louisville coach would leave for a better job.

For anybody asking why the extenstion... For reference, Mark Stoops was making more money than Petrino before this raise. Why has he gotten the extensions he has?

I don't understand that either.

at the end of the day coaches still would use UL to get that top job if they can.

You could say that about 90% of jobs in College Football. Are they all stepping stones too? If you say they are, then fine, we'll leave it be. If not...

Again, if your definition of stepping stone is the fact that a coach would leave for a higher paying college or NFL job, then every school in American sans about 5 are stepping stone jobs.

Keep throwing out your shots. Louisville's football program is in a better place than your favorite could even imagine to be. If it makes you feel better, keep at it junior. :lol2:

Really that is your comeback? How many years have I been on here and how often do I act like my fellow UK fans? Shoot I call out my fellow UK fans half the time and say I can't stand half my own Dan base most of the time. Shoot I even argued saying right away uk messed up hiring joker and failed to take the next step with that.

I am not taking shots because UL is better in football. Shoot I known they are and wish uk football was like UL football. However I have also seen UL fans say and act just like the uk fans they get on. My previous post gave plenty of examples of things said through the years. You have had coaches leave for the nfl and top football program before. My point is UL is still exactly where they were before and coaches want to be at UL because they know they can be successful at UL and help lead to the ultimate end job. Which in my opinion means they are still a stepping stone.

UL is the job coaches want to get to help get them to the top jobs. Which is not a shot at UL because that shows they are a great prosram that coaches know they can be successful there, but is still a stepping stone job.

Louisville football is never going to be Notre Dame. They're never going to be Bama or Texas or USC or OSU etc. Right now they're not a Clemson or a Georgia or a Michigan St. but I feel like it's a good goal and Jurich is making it known the path they want to be on and see themselves on. Arguments exist that they didn't have to extend right now, but there's no doubt that the university is taking football seriously. Like the schools I mentioned in the second group, I wouldn't be surprised if Dabo left one day for a better gig, but I think it's equally likely that he retires from Clemson, therefore it is in no way a stepping stone gig.

You keep mentioning Strong, but I don't know what world you were living in when he left. Some thought he might stay, but mainly because Texas was a terrible fit for him and he had just turned down Tennessee which no one would consider a stepping stone. The writing was on the wall was to take over Florida in one more year, and he would have cleaned up there.