Long Weekend in Chicago

Getslow

Spending Thursday-Sunday in Chicago. Going to a wedding Saturday night. Most of my time is accounted for but I was wondering if there's anything in particular anyone feels like I need to see and do... or, more importantly, eat and drink.

Any thoughts?

My personal fave for Chicago deep dish pizza is Giordano's.

Where are you staying?

Also my favorite. Might be a wait to get in but it's worth it. You need to check out the bean. Also a great view from the top of the Willis Tower.

Au Cheval in the West Loop is home of the best cheeseburger I have ever had, and nothing is remotely close. They're also known for an awesome house made fried bologna sandwich.

Also if you have most things planned already this is probably out, but when my better half and I go to Chicago we always make a point to take in a show at Second City. Generally our favorite shows have been on the main stage but we've had good luck at whatever stage is a step below it. It's located in Old Town and it is neat enough going there just to see the old pictures of all the stars that have been featured players over the years. If trying to go on a weekend try to get tickets a little bit in advance. The rooms aren't that large and they pile people in.

Au Cheval in the West Loop is home of the best cheeseburger I have ever had, and nothing is remotely close. They're also known for an awesome house made fried bologna sandwich.

Loving both of those I now know where I'm going next time I'm in Chicago.

Re: Willis (Sears) Tower suggestion. A buddy of mine recommended going to the top of the Hancock Building instead. I think I did Sears Tower as a kid but I don't remember enough to do a comparison. If you choose the Hancock Building, there is a bar on the second highest floor which is free and has 360 views. I think you are supposed to buy a drink though. Like anything else, depending on the time you arrive, there might be a line. They only allow a certain number of people up at a time, but once you're there you can spend as long as you like. It might be worth considering if you're taking a date to the wedding, but as a caveat I ordered a Manhattan off the cocktail list and it definitely tasted pre-made and too syrupy. As a Kentuckian you're better off grabbing a beer or choosing your bourbon and going neat or on the rocks.

You're the second person that's mentioned Au Cheval. Going to try and put that on the list.

Loving both of those I now know where I'm going next time I'm in Chicago.

It is essentially a diner, but with aesthetics like you would find in OTR. It almost reminds me of Senate if the bar area there is replaced with the grill like a normal diner (although you can order a beverage as well). The popularity (e.g. wait time during peak hours) and lack of ability place reservations are similar as well.

You're the second person that's mentioned Au Cheval. Going to try and put that on the list.

I don't remember if there was a cost to add bacon, but whatever you do make sure you get it. Also the single cheeseburger is a double, and the double is a triple.

au-cheval-in-chicago-u.s.a..jpg

I don't remember if there was a cost to add bacon, but whatever you do make sure you get it. Also the single cheeseburger is a double, and the double is a triple.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55582[/ATTACH]

Sign me up.

We got our Chicago-style hot dogs at a little hole-in-the-wall place called Downtown Dogs, that's located pretty much at the corner of E. Chicago and N. Rush Street. Pretty sure there's a Giordano's just a block or so south of it. And a block in the other direction puts you in front of the Gold Coast auto dealer. My son thought it was pretty cool to see a Lamborghini and a Maserati up close (they were parked curb-side) and such.

My personal fave for Chicago deep dish pizza is Giordano's.

Where are you staying?

I like this as well, but also have to throw in Lou Malnati's. Matter of fact I might say Lou's between the two, I think it's more of a Chicago icon.

For a good Chicago style hot dog, which I am a BIG fan of, Portillos is darn good. It's a small chain (34 stores, 31 in the Chicago area) but they have very tasty food, more than hot dogs (Italian beef, burgers, etc.), and have one of the best restaurant strawberry short cakes I have had.

http://www.portillos.com/assets/1/31/PHD_Dual_Menu_online_3.16_(1).pdf

Just returned from a weekend in Chicago – so fun!

I agree with Lou Malnati’s pizza, Willis Tower (get a pic on the skydeck), and just strolling/shopping Michigan Ave.

It is so worth it to try to visit the Field Museum if you have any time (even just 90 minutes). There are tons of exhibits but the Ancient Egypt exhibit, the Evolving Planet exhibit, and Sue the T-rex are absolutely fascinating.

Have fun!