Enrollment of Sweet 16 teams??? Anybody know?

This is why they need divisions in Kentucky basketball. At least 2 divisions to give some of the smaller schools the opportunity to experience the sweet 16.

Don't they have that with the All-A? Buckhorn and Elliott made it and they're really small.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They have the all A. And in my opinion, winning the region is a major championship for any school in and of itself. To be one of the last 16 standing is pretty remarkable.

I agree with papa and gremlin, forget the classing of basketball.

I thought Gremlin said that he wants classes. Hopefully nothing will ever change the Sweet 16. There's no need to pacify all the whiners that scream and cry because the path isn't easy enough. I pray that the sanctioning body never caves in to the classification crowd and ruins basketball like they did football.

The schools at the biggest disadvantages are in the Louisville and Lexington areas. It is not the small schools there who usually do the complaining.

My school is small (medium 2A) and has never made it to Rupp. I've never heard anyone here complain that it's unfair that there are a bunch of bigger schools in the region. I think our boys have an excellent shot next year (as they did this year) and if they do make it, it's going to be great. Much different than the All-A regional title that we've won before.

Small schools win their regions all the time. Some really small schools likely would never go no matter even in the All-A. Just the way that it is. Rather than complain go and build a program like Elliott has. They've built two different state tourney teams including one that was a state semi-finalist. They've been the most dominant program in the 16th the last ten years and they're one of the smallest schools. It wasn't easy. Both runs had kids that had played together for years, and were developed through excellent coaching at the youth levels and going out and finding good competition to get better against. In many ways Elliott has an advantage on most 16th schools because they don't have football due to enrollment and lack of interest. Many other small schools fall in this category. However, if they don't, I've always believed that basketball and football compliment each other greatly. Many schools in the state tourney each year verify that belief.

No sense in going to classes. We've seen one class work. How many kids in the state would even want to go to 2-4 classes? Doesn't that cheapen it? It's not football. A school like Paintsville while really good, likely would never have the amount of kids to play against Trinity or Male on the gridiron. If they could for one game it's doubtful they could survive a final three rounds of Bowling Green, Highlands and then a Trinity or Male.

Basketball takes a max of 15 and most get by playing 8-10 or so.

The schools at the biggest disadvantages are in the Louisville and Lexington areas. It is not the small schools there who usually do the complaining.

My school is small (medium 2A) and has never made it to Rupp. I've never heard anyone here complain that it's unfair that there are a bunch of bigger schools in the region. I think our boys have an excellent shot next year (as they did this year) and if they do make it, it's going to be great. Much different than the All-A regional title that we've won before.

Small schools win their regions all the time. Some really small schools likely would never go no matter even in the All-A. Just the way that it is. Rather than complain go and build a program like Elliott has. They've built two different state tourney teams including one that was a state semi-finalist. They've been the most dominant program in the 16th the last ten years and they're one of the smallest schools. It wasn't easy. Both runs had kids that had played together for years, and were developed through excellent coaching at the youth levels and going out and finding good competition to get better against. In many ways Elliott has an advantage on most 16th schools because they don't have football due to enrollment and lack of interest. Many other small schools fall in this category. However, if they don't, I've always believed that basketball and football compliment each other greatly. Many schools in the state tourney each year verify that belief.

No sense in going to classes. We've seen one class work. How many kids in the state would even want to go to 2-4 classes? Doesn't that cheapen it? It's not football. A school like Paintsville while really good, likely would never have the amount of kids to play against Trinity or Male on the gridiron. If they could for one game it's doubtful they could survive a final three rounds of Bowling Green, Highlands and then a Trinity or Male.

Excellent post!

Spot on.

No to classification. If you're on team fortunate to win a regional title you are almost held to the same level as your schools state championship football team, maybe even higher. The people wanting classes are adults not the kids playing.

The little engine that could will always be the ones bringing basketball fans not affiliated with a school back to Rupp

This is why they need divisions in Kentucky basketball. At least 2 divisions to give some of the smaller schools the opportunity to experience the sweet 16.

Nah...disagree...as it is it's the greatest show in HS basketball...David vs Goliath has always been a tremendous story...hope it never changes

I like the idea of an All A, 2A, 3A, 4A. I'd say 4 is enough. Have it all at the same time. Still have the same postseason. I think that would be interesting. The problem with going to 5A or 6A would be how many regions have multiple 5 or 6A schools?