Bluegills ...

Watusi

I can't be the only one who grew up on bluegill fishing, digging worms, catching crickets, and reeling in the slabs as fast as you can bait your hook back up. We sometimes think we have outgrown it, but an afternoon of good bluegill action will rekindle something inside you.

Even to this day, in May and June when those big dark males are fanning out their beds it is like Crack Cocaine to me. Give me a fly rod and a few poppers and dry flies and I wouldn't trade those moments for every beach in the world. Love it.

The only thing better and more fun is taking a kid out and parking them within casting distance to that action and then just letting them reel them in. All it takes is cheap tackle, a few wax worms or red worms and a little bit of time to make a youngster a bluegill fishing addict.

I can remember years ago on a fishing trip to Alabama. One afternoon after dinner we divided into teams and had a Bluegill Tourney boat vs boat vs boat. We spent a week catching Gunnersville Bass, but that afternoon was the most fun of the week. Using ultralight spinning combo I hooked a couple that I couldn't turn towards the boat...man that was fun.

As a kid crickets were my favorite bluegill bait, I've never fished with crickets and not caught bluegill. I think you could throw a cricket in a mud puddle and catch a bluegill.

I do the same for catfish bait, doc.

What size bluegills do you use for stripers?

The medium ones. If they're big enough for me to eat, we pitch em back. Sometimes in the heat of the summer they won't touch allewives but will smoke a bluegill.