Turntable Recomendations

JDEaston

Thanks to @ADopted ADmiral I finally made a purchase of a vintage turntable. He found an ad in the Huntington craigslist for an Elac Miracord 40A turntable. I haven't put it to use yet but it's an impressive machine, it's built like a German tank.

Nice! I actually looked at getting a Miracord at one point...I wanted to rebuild it with my own custom-built plinth. Had too many other projects in mind before it, though, so I never pulled the trigger on the purchase.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Two reasons for posting. One, I was talking to a guy at work who's a fellow vinyl enthusiast and kind of an audiophile. He was telling me about a Miracord 45 he's been hanging on to. It looks pretty cherry from the pictures he showed me, and he said he had it professionally serviced/lubricated and put a new cartridge in it about two years ago. It's making me consider replacing the Garrard Synchro-Lab 72B that I have in the spare room.

Also, I need to replace the phono pre-amp I've been using on my receiver. I've got a pretty decent Sony receiver in my living room...set up for 5.1 surround sound. I get an occasional low-grade hum when I'm playing my TT through it these days, and when I plugged the TT into my older receiver in the spare room (which has a built-in phono pre-amp) I don't get any hum. Anyone have recommendations on a pre-amp...less than $100, ideally? I like the idea of a tube pre-amp, but those are a little too rich for my blood.

Two reasons for posting. One, I was talking to a guy at work who's a fellow vinyl enthusiast and kind of an audiophile. He was telling me about a Miracord 45 he's been hanging on to. It looks pretty cherry from the pictures he showed me, and he said he had it professionally serviced/lubricated and put a new cartridge in it about two years ago. It's making me consider replacing the Garrard Synchro-Lab 72B that I have in the spare room.

Also, I need to replace the phono pre-amp I've been using on my receiver. I've got a pretty decent Sony receiver in my living room...set up for 5.1 surround sound. I get an occasional low-grade hum when I'm playing my TT through it these days, and when I plugged the TT into my older receiver in the spare room (which has a built-in phono pre-amp) I don't get any hum. Anyone have recommendations on a pre-amp...less than $100, ideally? I like the idea of a tube pre-amp, but those are a little too rich for my blood.

I use the Art DJPre II. Not too pricey and it blew my old one out of the water.

Ordered. The pre-amp I'm replacing was the first one I've used...so what's the difference in a crappy pre-amp and a quality one?

Not sure what makes them so different but I could hear the difference. And this one lets you control the gain, which is nice. I can crank it up. My old pre just passed through.