Turntable Recomendations

JDEaston

Thank's for the help guys, I'll check out those models, the Orbit looks like a pretty good deal at first glance. Also thanks for the heads up on the Jensen @ADopted ADmiral, I'll keep that in mind and be selective in what it gets to play.

Do you guys ever have problems with vibration causing the needle to skip at louder volumes? Just curious if the anti-vibration feet work well or not? I know that they work fine with blueray/cd players, but I know there is also anti skip technology built into those devices.

No issues at all as long as the counterweight and anti-skating are set properly, which isn't particularly difficult.

I had a Jensen before my AT 120, and the difference is night and day. I would never go back.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I have family in Versailles actually, I"ll check it out. I'm a bit skeptical of going vintage with something I don't know much about though haha. But I do know a lot of vintage stuff is still great. I have a pair of Klipsch LaScala's that were handed down to me from my uncle. As old as those things are they still sound amazing.

Vintage Mid-fi/High-fi amps and receivers are all I use. Unfortunately over the last few years the prices have sky rocketed.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Repaired Broken Quote

I've never had any problem. Just make sure your speakers aren't set up on the same thing your turntable is on. If it happens on your Jensen I'd bet it's because the speakers are inside of it.

I've had 200 watt speakers absolutely roaring and didn't notice any sort of disturbance.

Thanks for that. I certainly don't have that problem with the Jensen, it has about a 3 watt amp I believe lol.

Vintage Mid-fi/High-fi amps and receivers are all I use. Unfortunately over the last few years the prices have sky rocketed.

If I could find a vintage tube amp I would give it a try. But like you said prices have skyrocketed on anything worth having. I haven't looked the LaScala's I have up for a while but they were going for up to 4k a pair a while back. Craziness.

Repaired Broken Quote

Do you get to Lexington much? I have a friend that has a shop in Versailles.

(Old Sounds New)... He carries real nice vintage stereo equipment.

Going there today AD.

Repaired Broken Quote

Do you get to Lexington much? I have a friend that has a shop in Versailles.

(Old Sounds New)... He carries real nice vintage stereo equipment.

Dan repaired my Kenwood receiver while I sifted through some albums. Really good guy and was very reasonable too. Highly recommend Old Sounds New!

Repaired Broken Quote

• 2 months later...

I still haven't made a purchase yet, trying to do as much research as possible before making a decision. I've read up on everything mentioned in the thread and have also done some googling myself.

So now I'm stuck on direct drive versus belt drive. Is there any real difference between the two? The reason I ask is because the Stanton t62 gets excellent reviews and is direct drive, while most in that price range are belt driven. It's more of a dj style turntable and I won't be using it for that at all, but it was rated the best turntable under $200 by several reviews.

I also like the orbit that Admiral mentioned, but if I don't have to add a phono preamp to my system I'd rather not and most other models in that price range have a preamp built in.

I still haven't made a purchase yet, trying to do as much research as possible before making a decision. I've read up on everything mentioned in the thread and have also done some googling myself.

So now I'm stuck on direct drive versus belt drive. Is there any real difference between the two? The reason I ask is because the Stanton t62 gets excellent reviews and is direct drive, while most in that price range are belt driven. It's more of a dj style turntable and I won't be using it for that at all, but it was rated the best turntable under $200 by several reviews.

I also like the orbit that Admiral mentioned, but if I don't have to add a phono preamp to my system I'd rather not and most other models in that price range have a preamp built in.

"Audiophiles" prefer the belt driven because it keeps the motor away from the stylus and there's less rumble in the sound. If you get a quality TT I think you'd have to have a very keen ear to discern it, though. DJs prefer the DD because it gets to speed right away and you can "scratch" with it.

The built-in preamps are convenient, but if you run the phono line through something like the ART DJPre it will sounds noticeably better, plus you can adjust it. It's small and can be tucked away somewhere hidden too.

Lastly I don't think tone arm shape makes any difference. Some people say the S-shape puts less wear on the record, but I'm not sold on that. I think they look cooler, but that's about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a friend send me a text asking if I had any opinions on a couple of turntables he's looking at on Craigslist. Anyone have any thoughts? @ADopted ADmiral ?

Sansui SR-737 - $200

Sansui SR-2050C - $150

I know the 737 is a direct drive, which I've heard pros and cons about, in general. It's a fully automatic with auto-return, and that's about all I know.

The 2050C is belt drive, and it's a manual turntable, with an auto-stop function.

Had a friend send me a text asking if I had any opinions on a couple of turntables he's looking at on Craigslist. Anyone have any thoughts? @ADopted ADmiral ?

Sansui SR-737 - $200

Sansui SR-2050C - $150

I know the 737 is a direct drive, which I've heard pros and cons about, in general. It's a fully automatic with auto-return, and that's about all I know.

The 2050C is belt drive, and it's a manual turntable, with an auto-stop function.

That's a tough call. They both look to be in excellent condition, I would probably go with the 737 because it has been serviced by a professional,it also has the original box which is pretty cool.

Your friend should google each table/audiokarma and read and what these folks have to say.:thumb:

That's a tough call. They both look to be in excellent condition, I would probably go with the 737 because it has been serviced by a professional,it also has the original box which is pretty cool.

Your friend should google each table/audiokarma and read and what these folks have to say.:thumb:

I completely missed where it said that one had been serviced professionally. Good call!

• 1 year later...