Star Wars Episode VII: SPOILERS AND SPECULATION

All Tell

Last warning, this thread is to discuss the movie and will contain spoilers if you don't want to know don't read.

I thought the movie was great and the parallels to A New Hope jumped out at me.

Young hero on a desert planet finds a droid with a secret, escapes the planet with an unlikely ally and finds a surrogate father figure. Meanwhile the antagonist is busy hunting down the droid for it's secrets while using the dark side to achieve his goals. Our young hero learns she is strong with the Force and begins learning her capabilities. Her father figure (who has history with the antagonist) is killed while she watches. The young hero is instrumental in saving the day and starts her new quest.

Questions and speculation:

1. The big one to me. What is Rey's backstory? She was left on Jakku and waiting for her parents to return. She is strong in the Force and past movies have established that this is a familial trait. Is Luke her father?

2. Who is the Supreme Leader and why was he able to seduce Ben Solo away from Luke and cause him to become Kylo Ren?

3. There has been some internet speculation about Finn's familial background and it was mentioned on the net that he was taken from Lando Calrissian as a baby. So is that the case and will Billy Dee show up in Episode VIII.

I'm sure more will come to me as this thread progresses. I'm also planning to see it again to pick out any minutiae I missed first time through.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) She has a doll that looks like a pilot in an orange jump suit (like Luke) and the helmet of a rebel pilot (again like Luke's)...The Anakin/Luke light saber calls to her...she has strong force powers. I think she is Luke's daughter.

2) Wild guess but he may end up being Palpatine...skull is split on top like Palpatine and he looks like he has been possibly burnt by looking at tight skin...that's my guess for now.

3) Could be Lando's kid...that would make sense. Billy Dee popping up would be cool.

I agree the movie paralleled A new hope closely.

The parallels were so strong that I really half expected Rey to cut Kylo Ren's hand off during their fight. The Palpatine theory is interesting. I wonder if after Palpatine was "killed" by Vader he was left with a scarred, incapacitated body and that's why he projects as a huge hologram? But if Palpatine was Snoak why would Ren not identify as Sith? Could Vader have had a Sith apprentice and he's trying to get revenge on Luke, Leia and Han for taking Vader away from him?

And surely this can't be Gwendoline Christie's only role in the trilogy could it? They never even showed her face. Her armor is completely different then seen on a storm trooper before. Could she be the supreme leader and is disguising herself as a man in holograms?

Going way, way, way out on a limb here. Could the Supreme Leader be Boba Fett? The reason I asked was there was a very quick mention that they were no longer using clones as storm troopers. Fett's "father" was the original and Boba saw him killed by Jedi. Could Boba have survived his encounter with the Sarlac and is on a revenge quest against the Jedi for killing Jango Fett? As a brother clone could he have somehow taken over the clone storm troopers and risen to power?

I saw it and did not like it much. It was so silly. Were the previous movies so silly? Are they only good in my memory?

The good. Finn and Rey and Kylo Ren were all good, especially the first two. I think I would have enjoyed a movie with these characters had it not been for all the rest of the movie.

The stupid and the bad. So they built a third Death Star? Whose running this joint? The Legion of Doom had better plans. Whenever the characters in the movie start commenting on how similar it is to previous movies, you know it's bad. I loved how they had the holograms handy of both weapons so the audience could see that these were not the same because this one was bigger.

Bigger and dumber. Instead of putting the critical fatal flaw weak spot in the center of the structure (accessible only by a straight line exhaust pipe) , they put it on the surface and shaped it like a bullseye.

What is the deal with people not believing in Jedis? They had a friggin headquaters on the senate planet and ran all over the galaxy doing stuff? Don't they have the internet and google? It takes what? 15 years or so for Jedi to go from actual people walking around to mysterious myths.

A minor point. The universe would be a lot better off if the Skywalker clan aborted all its babies.

Dont get me started on the stupid puzzle piece map showing Luke's location. It was a jig jaggedy line showing the route he took to get where he is. Who cares about the route? Just go to the end spot on the line. Such a ridiculous artifice.

Advice for the next ruler of the bad guys. Search all droids for secrets.

His lightsaber was in a wooden box? And speaking of wooden....Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford. The guy in the monkey suit did a better job emoting.

Okay, sorry for all you who loved it, I wanted to like it, but was too dumb. I guess it will be the biggest movie of all time, so who cares what I say lol. The movie is dumb and they are billionaires.

Saw it twice. I'm even more convinced it's Rey Skywalker.

1. When Kylo Ren is reading her mind he sees her dreams of an ocean with an island in the middle, which is where Luke is. In the original trilogy we see that Vader and Luke (father and son) can sense each other's presence. Also Kylo can sense his Dad. I think direct descendants who our force-sensitive can. Which would explain why she sees where Luke is in her dreams.

2. Also, R2D2 activates when she arrives. If she is Luke's daughter she would naturally be R2's next owner so this would explain that.

I'm thinking Kylo Ren might have killed her Mother in the slaughter of the new Jedi's. No proof there but would make sense why Maz knows she ain't coming back for her.

Last warning, this thread is to discuss the movie and will contain spoilers if you don't want to know don't read.

I thought the movie was great and the parallels to A New Hope jumped out at me.

Young hero on a desert planet finds a droid with a secret, escapes the planet with an unlikely ally and finds a surrogate father figure. Meanwhile the antagonist is busy hunting down the droid for it's secrets while using the dark side to achieve his goals. Our young hero learns she is strong with the Force and begins learning her capabilities. Her father figure (who has history with the antagonist) is killed while she watches. The young hero is instrumental in saving the day and starts her new quest.

Questions and speculation:

1. The big one to me. What is Rey's backstory? She was left on Jakku and waiting for her parents to return. She is strong in the Force and past movies have established that this is a familial trait. Is Luke her father?

2. Who is the Supreme Leader and why was he able to seduce Ben Solo away from Luke and cause him to become Kylo Ren?

3. There has been some internet speculation about Finn's familial background and it was mentioned on the net that he was taken from Lando Calrissian as a baby. So is that the case and will Billy Dee show up in Episode VIII.

I'm sure more will come to me as this thread progresses. I'm also planning to see it again to pick out any minutiae I missed first time through.

Three is interesting but I think it lends more to the fact that there are virtually no black characters in the Star Wars franchise. Seems a stretch that kidnappers would get Lando's son.

Three is interesting but I think it lends more to the fact that there are virtually no black characters in the Star Wars franchise. Seems a stretch that kidnappers would get Lando's son.

There was also something that was published when the Finn action figure was released, some adverts that came with it said he was Lando's son. Don't know but it's interesting.

2. Also, R2D2 activates when she arrives. If she is Luke's daughter she would naturally be R2's next owner so this would explain that.

JJ gave an interview about this and explained R2D2 was in something like a coma and when BB8 came up to him and asked if he knew anything about Luke, that it woke him up, but that it took him a while to wake up because his condition was similar to the coma.

I like your explanation better.

1. Its definitely Rey Skywalker

2. Could the Supreme Leader be Darth Plagueis? I know Palpatine is said to have killed him, but if he is as powerful as Palpatine told Anakin, then I doubt he would be killed so easily. Just a thought.

3. Finn is definitely Lando's Son. He is either Lando's son, or a descendant of the Windu family, and considering Windu was a Jedi the odds are unlikely. Also Finn doesn't appear to be in touch with the force so Lando is the most logical option.

I loved the film. I would rank it 3rd among the best Star Wars Film. 5, 4, 7, 3, 6, 2, 1 is my order of the movies.