Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Concussion

Featured Replies

  • Replies 35
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a word, yes. I think it could be another piece to try and eliminate football at the smaller levels like middle school and youth. I don't think it will change the High school, College, or NFL because of the amount of money involved.

It will leave a very public black eye on the sport. With players like Junior Seau who lost their lives because of this, I can see the hesitation by the parents to put their child in football. I already thought football was tough enough to get kids involved in because of the demands on your body when you are playing, and then the long term damage it can have on you after you stop playing. Putting this on the big screen during College Football bowl season and as the start of the NFL postseason gets into full swing will heighten the attention and revenue of this motion picture.

 

The bigger question will be do we put our youth football players through non contact drills and 7 on 7 until high school? What does the research show us on kids that start at 14 years old? Can we provide more protection with today's helmets? Maybe during the physical each kid should have their brain examined every year they enter?

Sure the movie will have an impact as it should...a greater impact will be when from top down we "celebrate" leading with the shoulder and having the head across the body!

I'd like to think that our society could keep it in perspective (realizing there are risks in everything we do throughout our lives), but that will be way too much to ask.

 

They need to make a movie called:

-Diabetes

-Heart Diesease

-Fast Food

-Car Wreck

-Four Wheeler

-Junk Food

-Alchohol

- and, slew of others.

 

But, millions of people across our country aren't sitting at home watching hours of those types of documentaries on TV.

 

I'm personally looking forward to the movie just as I am glad to see rules that have been implemented to make our game safer and better, but like others have said, I know exactly the impact this movie will have (or that it wants to have). I hope I'm wrong.

I think it will make the NFL look bad more than anything, I read somewhere they even tried to downplay some of the NFL story, to keep the NFL happy.

I'm not sure it will have a big impact. It's already a hot topic - nothing new here. We see fewer kids playing football. The ramifications are already being felt.

Most of these bad effects from concussions impacting peoples lives when they are older have came from players that didn't have all the concussion protocols we have in place now. So many of these people probably had many concussions in theit life that was never diagonosed and still kept playing and getting hit while concusses. Now if someone simply has a Head ache even from say a common cold. Precautions are taken just to make sure it really wasn't from a blow to the head. So I think the stuff in place now should have a much better impact at stopping long term effects. However we won't know if these precautions that are now in place are effective until a long time from now.

Most of these bad effects from concussions impacting peoples lives when they are older have came from players that didn't have all the concussion protocols we have in place now. So many of these people probably had many concussions in theit life that was never diagonosed and still kept playing and getting hit while concusses. Now if someone simply has a Head ache even from say a common cold. Precautions are taken just to make sure it really wasn't from a blow to the head. So I think the stuff in place now should have a much better impact at stopping long term effects. However we won't know if these precautions that are now in place are effective until a long time from now.

 

I agree overall. However, we're STILL hearing of high school kids dying from second hit/concussion issues so it's not like a)it's an exact science and b)all schools are equipped to do a proper evaluation.

I agree that the impact is already being felt. Here in Louisville, the CSAA (Catholic School Athletic Association) has already seen the number of kids playing football drop DRAMATICALLY (almost 25%) in the past two years alone. Most schools no longer have their own team - they have teams consisting of kids from two or three schools. I personally know a handful of "Alpha Male" types who have said they won't let their young children play football. It doesn't look good.

I personally don't think Little League tackle football is all that important in the first place.

It will leave a very public black eye on the sport. With players like Junior Seau who lost their lives because of this, I can see the hesitation by the parents to put their child in football. I already thought football was tough enough to get kids involved in because of the demands on your body when you are playing, and then the long term damage it can have on you after you stop playing. Putting this on the big screen during College Football bowl season and as the start of the NFL postseason gets into full swing will heighten the attention and revenue of this motion picture.

 

The bigger question will be do we put our youth football players through non contact drills and 7 on 7 until high school? What does the research show us on kids that start at 14 years old? Can we provide more protection with today's helmets? Maybe during the physical each kid should have their brain examined every year they enter?

 

Tom Brady was like 12 or 13 when he started playing football and the Manning grandkids play league flag football.

If someone would put a shock absorbing pad (mushroom) on the outside of the helmets most of the problem would go away. The helmet became a weapon rather than protection with the plastic shell came out in the late 40's early 50's. No one led with their head when they were wearing a leather helmet.

 

With precautions taken now I think long term the effects are going to be greatly lessened.

I personally don't think Little League tackle football is all that important in the first place.

 

I disagree.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.