Stumbo's speech...

All Tell

I am neither excited nor disappointed in last night's results, so my comments are bsed purely on what I saw with his speech.

It was one of the most rambling things I have ever heard. I tuned out after a couple minutes but the gist I got was as follows:

-The Bible

-Elephants

-Hard Work

-Farm Animals

-A Jockey

That about sums it up. Based on the speeches last night of the KDP wants to rebound they need to rally behind Andy Beshear, because he actually seemed somewhat inspired in his speech.

Nearest explanation I could have for Stumbo's speech was a stroke. :lol2:

Why? Are only republicans allowed to claim religion? Not a great speech, but not much wrong with what he said. Democrats have allowed republicans to paint them as anti religion. Democrats have allowed republicans to paint themselves as the guardians of morality. I disagree with one thing he said. Democrats did not do a good job of communicating Democratic values. Conway ran a campaign that was based on a strategy of "vote for me because the other guy is a bad man". That strategy works sometimes (see Mitch McConnell his entire career), but in order for it to work, you have to be one really mean SOB (again see Mitch McConnell) and you have to have at least a little something you can exaggerate. Conway wasn't nearly mean enough to pull it off (I suspect Conway is a fairly nice guy.) And painting Bevin as a bad man wasn't going to work. I disagree with Bevin on almost everything, but he comes across to me as a good man. Being mean enough to run an almost exclusively negative campaign is a rare talent (see Mitch McConnell). For most people, you must present a positive vision. Running a campaign based on what he would have pushed as governor may not have been enough to get Conway elected, but losing while presenting your ideas is far better than losing while presenting nothing because you are afraid people might not like your ideas.

Let me be clear. I don't have any problems with negative ads that point out how bad the oppositions ideas are. There was plenty of room to run those ads against Bevin. For the most part, those ads never ran.

Why? Are only republicans allowed to claim religion? Not a great speech, but not much wrong with what he said. Democrats have allowed republicans to paint them as anti religion. Democrats have allowed republicans to paint themselves as the guardians of morality. I disagree with one thing he said. Democrats did not do a good job of communicating Democratic values. Conway ran a campaign that was based on a strategy of "vote for me because the other guy is a bad man". That strategy works sometimes (see Mitch McConnell his entire career), but in order for it to work, you have to be one really mean SOB (again see Mitch McConnell) and you have to have at least a little something you can exaggerate. Conway wasn't nearly mean enough to pull it off (I suspect Conway is a fairly nice guy.) And painting Bevin as a bad man wasn't going to work. I disagree with Bevin on almost everything, but he comes across to me as a good man. Being mean enough to run an almost exclusively negative campaign is a rare talent (see Mitch McConnell). For most people, you must present a positive vision. Running a campaign based on what he would have pushed as governor may not have been enough to get Conway elected, but losing while presenting your ideas is far better than losing while presenting nothing because you are afraid people might not like your ideas.

Let me be clear. I don't have any problems with negative ads that point out how bad the oppositions ideas are. There was plenty of room to run those ads against Bevin. For the most part, those ads never ran.

I wasn't going to vote for either of them, I just felt thay Stumbo was rambling, long-winded, and severely unfocused.

Andy Beshear on the other hand was inspired and succint. They need to put their hopes in him.

I was talking with a staunch Democrat today. He stated it plain and simple, "We took a butt kicking."

He said IHO three things led to the said kicking:

1. Obama

2. Same sex marriage- He said many older voters just can't vote D anymore due to this.

3. Dems communicating their platform stunk in this cycle.

This man is a long time elected official himself.

Regardless, he is going to be to the Republicans as David Williams was to the Democrats as long as they have House control. It will take a while for that to happen. Until then gridlock, sad but true. When that happens the Republicans will have screwed it up again. It's the cycle we will go into. It takes Kentucky about 50 years to catch up with the country.

Enjoy your cycle.

He did ramble some but they all do.

I'm just not a fan of career politicians know matter what party they belong to.

Listening to guys like him an McConnell for years grows old.

Average Joes are starting to catch on to these guys.

Edited by TexasRanger
add text