Russellville's home opponents never compete on a level playing field

Oldercoach

Just left Russelville's field for the first time and was totally shocked by their home field advantage. It is a typical WPA stadium like Bellevue, Newport and Ludlow. Grass field in excellent shape; but, one end zone corner tilts like the old Crosley Field left field terrace. I am talking a section starting at the goal line to the corner a tapering elevation up to six feet in height and probably 10 yards in width. I am sure a defensive back pedaling backwards is going to find himself on his butt, and running stride for stride unexpectantly is going to eat his own knees. This is wild and a first for these old eyes!😱 Anyone know if Russelville's has mastered this hill to their advantage?

Russellville beat the old Tompkinsville beats in the playoffs in 1980 or 1981 on a play to the tight end in the endzone on that hill it put him around 3 feet above. The defender in that corner and they scored the TD.

Whether Meyers uses it to his advantage or not I am not sure but it's been there for at least 30 years. And if you paid close attention to the other end zone at the corner away from stadium it slant downward about 2 feet.

It's been there since 1938.

The guys working for WPA knew the length of a football field. 100 yds. They forgot the end zones. The end zone with the high corner had a rock out crop which they covered with dirt an sowed grass seed on.

Back in those days the game was played between the hash marks, if they were present so that corner was never an issue. I've seen lots of games in that stadium and have never seen it used to either team's advantage.

Whether Meyers uses it to his advantage or not I am not sure but it's been there for at least 30 years. And if you paid close attention to the other end zone at the corner away from stadium it slant downward about 2 feet.

Missed the other corner because I was so shocked by the terrace. It is so dramatic an elevation change, almost like a set of steps, that I am shocked the KHSAA would sanction it as a playoff field. Anybody know of any major injuries resulting because of this? In today's litigious society, very surprised it still exists!

Just left Russelville's field for the first time and was totally shocked by their home field advantage. It is a typical WPA stadium like Bellevue, Newport and Ludlow. Grass field in excellent shape; but, one end zone corner tilts like the old Crosley Field left field terrace. I am talking a section starting at the goal line to the corner a tapering elevation up to six feet in height and probably 10 yards in width. I am sure a defensive back pedaling backwards is going to find himself on his butt, and running stride for stride unexpectantly is going to eat his own knees. This is wild and a first for these old eyes! Anyone know if Russelville's has mastered this hill to their advantage?

Glasgow's baseball field is the same way. Left and center fielders have to run uphill 15 yards to catch the ball. I remember my dad taking me to Crosley field to watch the Reds play in the early 60's. Wow! I'm old.

• 3 weeks later...
Hope you are right. Had you ever seen anything like it before?

Nope. It's very disorienting, really. I had to look at it straight down the line from both angles to appreciate the weirdness of it. But seeing the lay of the land in that neighborhood, I totally understand it.

Bardstown's baseball field has an uphill slope in right and right-center. Not many balls make it out there, though. It's a looooong way out to right.

Mercer County's baseball field has the same thing going on. It's a big time uphill slope between left and right center.