Will this coach lose his job?

jericho

If a coach at a public school tells his players to bow their heads ... we could have issues.

It is 100 PERCENT possible to reflect/be silent/be quiet WITHOUT bowing your head.

If a captain wants to do it, OK. But if the coach does it, he could be overstepping his bounds.

When you tell someone to bow their heads, what follows is usually religious in nature.

As a public school coach, you can't do that.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with you, just wanted to see if something as small as the scenario I mentioned is something that a school would frown upon. I am always curious how touchy school districts are with religion scenarios. Totally off topic but I also wondered if a teacher carrying a bible but not opening or reading during class would cause an issue?

That's an interesting take.

I know several teachers who keep their phones/tablets on them. Same teachers have the Bible app (I have the bible app on my ipad).

I'm going to annoy people with this, but: In this day and age, what kind of public school teacher needs an actual paper form of the bible when the teacher can just access it on his or her phone?

Lot less public/intrusive that way, no?

That being said, we read the Bible in AP English my senior year (winter 98-spring 99) of high school. Many people objected, but is was the Book of Job and it was for the story behind it and not exactly the verses. Didn't have to memorize verses or anything. And if you objected to the Bible version, the teacher had to provide you with a cleansed/condensed non-Bible version.

In cases like that, it might be better to have a Bible book over the Bible app.

In many other instances, though, just not seeing it (when you can pull it up on your phone or tablet).